Thread: Instrument Vibrator--It Works!

Thumbs up Instrument Vibrator--It Works!

Acoustic Enhancer for[ Mandolin
    Here’s the setting: I’m an average-talent, hard-working mandolin musician. I practice every chance available, and one strategy I employ is to have a mandolin handy wherever I go: all over the house, in the car, etc. To this end, I own six mandolins ranging in cost from $400-$1,200.

The upshot is that most of these mandolins are well-constructed with quality material, but have a LONG way to go for maturity; i.e., no belly, no depth, none of the tone that years of use develops. SO. . .
    How to “age” these lovely, but soul-less instruments.? My thinking was (and still is), “Vibrations—find a way to vibrate years into that stiff wood”.

To that end, I searched the web for such a machine, and found the most affordable to be David Andrews’ “Acoustic Enhancer for Mandolin”, which he designed primarily for violins, but has adapted for guitar and mandolin. I can’t post his website link on this round, but Google “David Andrews Violin” and you’ll find it.

Does it work? Here’s my somewhat subjective report for each mandolin I own:
    Michael Kelly Legacy: no need, this particular instrument is “open” and sounds great without treatment. I used the enhancer relatively lightly (a few days), and the response continues to improve.
    Fender 63: like a block of wood; beautiful, and “strong”, but very little resonance. It is opening up after a solid month, and improvement is beginning. I’m confident that a long stretch under the Enhancer will improve tone, and it’s buzzing away as I write.
    KentuckyKM505 A style: No need, opened up pretty much straight out of the box. Great sound.
    Eastman MD815: My most expensive mando, but I thought it would never open up. Played it for a year and pretty much gave up. A month under the vibrating Enhancer and it is definitely opening up. A unique belly, interesting. More time with the Enhancer is going to help.
    Kentucky FM 160 A style: This is my car mando, the least expensive. Still “tight”, and needs more treatment, but I have confidence that the Enhancer will bring it to a maturity.
    Washburn M65W: Nice trim, but an oddly small body. Its volume is never going to make it any more than a living room practice item. Plays easily. Enhancer is helping.

In summary, I'd buy an Enhancer without reservation. I’ve set up a “Giggle Stand” in the garage (it hums), and rotate my instruments through the process on a continuous schedule of a week or two each. David prices them in British Pounds, but it turns out to be $150 USD. This is an especially good investment for those of us with two or three or five mandos, or retailers who serve a relatively sophisticated buyer who can hear “belly”—the difference after treatment probably increases appeal (open, deeper tones) by 50%.

Default Re: Instrument Vibrator--It Works!

3. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Blog Entries

I'm a believer in that playing them hence vibrations helps over time and that instruments go to sleep if not used. But still with my experiences with way too many mandolins old and new- the old stuff outshines new in tone and volume with all I've had and have anyway-IMHO it's the older played and dried out wood.

So... this 'Enhancer' of which you speak and recommend highly that is built by David Andrews and increases belly on your first post is completely unrelated to any financial interest?

Just wondering. Welcome to the Cafe!
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

You realize this isn't any sort of new concept that there has been a product on the market for years that does the same thing, right? Amazingly enough they are the same basic price as the product you are touting.

You might want to review the posting guidelines. The community has never handled shill posts well. Usually they totally backfire.

And why can't you post a link?

http://www.violinman.co.uk/Acoustic%20Enhancer.htm

It's only fair that we post the Tonerite link as well. It is after all, a product that preceded this one.

https://www.tonerite.com/

If you want to read what folks (including me) have said about the Tonerite, here is every thread on the Cafe that mentions them.

I'm not a real fan but YMMV.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

8. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Can I be the first to point out the emperor has no clothes?
    2012 Weber Bitterroot F5.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Stueve For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Stueve View Post
    Can I be the first to point out the emperor has no clothes?
    Sure.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

What happes if you take a nice new instrument and plop it in front of stereo speakers blasting Guns and Roses? Or Stravinsky or Coltrane? I saw arguments somewhere on the web about what CD would be appropriate for looping for weeks at high volume.

And here is what they say elsewhere on the web Pictures or it didn't happen!
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

I have a device that is made for treating a back ache, it has a heat setting and one for vibrating so I wrapped one mandolin in it and set the vibrator, I left it that way for three days and to my ears I didn`t hear any difference when I tried playing it after the "treatment"....I am also sure that it doesn`t do any harm, I can`t think of any way to equal years of playing by vibrating a mandolin, maybe leaving it on for a few years might do it...

A few of the mandolins that you mentioned will never open up, carved too thick on the top and some have pressed tops, and some have a thick finish....They are what they are..Too many folks want a $200 mandolin to sound like a Loar signed Gibson and if one ever does it is a rarity….

Willie

Willie

Pass that bag John!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by gtani7 View Post
    What happes if you take a nice new instrument and plop it in front of stereo speakers blasting Guns and Roses?
    Well, I went to a Slayer concert once and I don't think my tone improved, but my ears rang for 3 days! (I was actually worried that permanent damage had taken place..)

I am just thinking that rather than buying 6 mandos in the $400-$1200 range, plus the $150 for this device, I personally would choose to spend all that (or less) on one rather nice mandolin that needs no treatment, but that's just me.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to liestman For This Useful Post:

I feel most instruments benefit from refitting the bridge after 6 months to a year. No matter how much they cost. The top will settle in and change slightly and it may not be much refitting necessary, but it does help. This is my humble opinion. Vibrate all you want, I do it by playing.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Sigh. Here we go again. This is a load of vibratory nonsense, and we've been down this road 1,000 times. You are free to believe whatever you want, even in the absence of any credible evidence. I laughed out loud when you said it increased the "appeal" (whatever that is!) by "50%".

But if you really want your mandolin to sound better, here's an idea: Try buying a better instrument, instead of attempting to cure six low-end, budget instruments! That is, get a $4,800+ instrument instead of 6 x $800+ instruments -- the expense is exactly the same. As the old saying goes, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

20. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

My wife wants me to use the device in reverse to see if it will create 50% less belly!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

22. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Astro 

Quote Originally Posted by gtani7 View Post
    What happes if you take a nice new instrument and plop it in front of stereo speakers blasting Guns and Roses? Or Stravinsky or Coltrane? I saw arguments somewhere on the web about what CD would be appropriate for looping for weeks at high volume.

And here is what they say elsewhere on the web Pictures or it didn't happen!
    Basically what happens when you do that is that your family and neighbors learn to hate you.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    My wife wants me to use the device in reverse to see if it will create 50% less belly!
    Try reversing the polarity.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber