Thread: my bowl-back mandolin

Default my bowl-back mandolin

Greetings!

I am new to this place as of this afternoon. Before a staff member sent me a tutorial, I posted photos and questions to a thread, but now I am folloiwing the tutorial.

This is an instrument I am thinking of selling. I joined today in hopes of learning more about it, and also thinking that someone might advise me of how much to ask for it. I may post it on the Reverb site, but meanwhile a relative is interested.

It has been asleep in its case in a safe, dry, temperature-controlled closet for many years. To my sorrow, I do not seem to have the aptitude for learning to play string instruments.

Any ideas about the instrument would be appreciated.

It was not until I began photographing its details that I noticed the printing on a paper - exposed because part of the inlay near the sound hole was lost before I owned it. German text - but my linguist cousin thinks it is not from a newspaper.

As I had previously loaded my images for the thread "identifying and pricing an old bowlback", it seemed that I was to click and drag those to this post. I was not finished, but can't figure out how to resume loading. Those not here show details of the case - interior and exterior. You can find those on that other thread, if you wish to see. I

Thanks very much -
    JulietClick image for larger version. 

Name:	29244481_10156191175367579_3970287284753793024_o.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	378.7 KB 
ID:	167944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TATER BUG MANDOLIN CASE CLOSED 2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	167945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TATER BUG MANDOLIN CASE CLOSED 1.jpg 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	167946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TATER BUG MANDOLIN CASE CLOSED 4.jpg 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	167947
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TATER BUG MANDOLIN IN CASE.jpg 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	167936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TATER BUG MANDOLIN INLAY.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	167937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MANDOLIN GERMAN TEXT UNDERNEATH INLAY, ENLARGED, DARKENED.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	544.8 KB 
ID:	167938  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TATER BUG MANDOLIN HEADSTOCK TOP.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	167939   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TATER BUG MANDOLIN HEADSTOCK BACK.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	167940   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TATER BUG MANDOLIN BACK 4.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	167941  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TATER BUG MANDOLIN LYRE 2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	167942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TATER BUG MANDOLIN NECK AND PARTIAL VIEW OF RIBS 2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	167943  
    Last edited by Juliet; May-23-2018 at 4:53pm. Reason: adding more images, editing text for a typo and addition

2. The following members say thank you to Juliet for this post:

Default Re: my bowl-back mandolin

to be honest, the case looks worth more than the mandolin. but i'm no expert, so i'll just put that out there and wander off.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randi Gormley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    to be honest, the case looks worth more than the mandolin. but i'm no expert, so i'll just put that out there and wander off.
    Thank you.

The case is much newer than the mandolin. The mandolin was American made, probably in Chicago by one of the known builders, possibly Harmony, it was a lower grade instrument based on the number of staves on the back, probably before 1920. It's not in spectacular condition and bowlback mandolins that are in better shape than this fail to sell weekly on eBay. The case is worth more than the mandolin but the value of both isn't all that much. The German text has me a bit confused but it could have been sold by a dealer dealing into the German speaking community. These were made "for the trade" so they could be labeled or not labeled by a school or retailer as their own. I'd like to see a picture of the label with the writing on it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I sold a similar bowlback here on the cafe last month. I listed it for $250 and got no replies. I tried again at $150 (including shipping) and it sold in about a week. I think you could get $150-$250 if you’re patient. Sorry it’s not worth more. Mandolin is somewhat of a niche instrument and bowlbacks are a niche within a niche....
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

9. The following members say thank you to Jstring for this post:

If it plays well, it might be a good instrument for the interested relative. I have a fairly similar old bowlback that works as a serviceable instrument, I think I paid around 90$ for it.

I think it was made possibly my Lyon & Healy for the trade. My guess is that the marquetry pieces for the pickguard were glued to the backing paper so they would not get lost. Then they were glued to the top of the mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thank you for your response. I apologize thanking you so late!

Thank you for your response. I should have answered much sooner, but illness, hospitalization, and surgery got in the way, and I am just now catching up.

Many thanks for your response! Sorry to be late with this.

The "scoop" top to the headstock was often found on less expensive Lyon & Healy models around 1900 +/-. The German newsprint could well be backing for an inlaid pickguard imported from Germany, part of which has eroded away, exposing the backing. (This is pure speculation on my part.) The lyre tailpiece is not a common L&H feature -- they tended toward a "crown" shape on their fancier instruments -- but it's been seen on other US mandolins.

Can't quite tell from the pic if some of the ribs are maple and some rosewood (or at least another, darker wood). Bowl-backs with alternating maple/mahogany or maple/rosewood ribs were quite common around the same era. However, they were usually strictly alternating, not a few ribs of one kind spaced randomly around the bowl, which is what this one seems to show. Combined with the evident repairs to the bowl, I wonder if some of the ribs have been replaced at some point. (Again, speculation.)

As to value, assuming it's playable as is, the condition issues are going to make it a hard sell at $150 or more. There might, as suggested above, be more interest in the case than in the mandolin itself.

Does the mandolin have a history within your family? If so, selling it at a nominal price to the "interested relative" would be my recommendation.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

16. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Year in and year out our property value increases at a far quicker rate than our house does. Likely the case with your case, too.

The mandolin looks like it mostly has cosmetic issues (though it is hard to tell from the given photos.)

The instrument might fetch you $50. The case $75. Together? $100, $125 max.

My recommendation: Reread Allen's post.

MIck
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

18. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

I second Allen's recommendation to sell it to the interested relative. Frankly, given the missing marquetry pieces of the pickguard and the general worn top I would just give it to him or her. Her or she may want to do a little work to make it playable or hang it somewhere.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

20. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: