Thread: It Occurred to Me...

Default It Occurred to Me...

I've had my mandolin about six weeks now, and I'm absolutely in love with it. I play it constantly, often 2+ hours a day. I practice diligently, I mess around and have fun, I watch videos to get inspired, I fall asleep excited to play tomorrow, I look up techniques... You get the point.

And it occurred to me today that the amount of time and effort (and love) I've been putting into the mandolin is exactly what my violin teacher has always wished I would put into the violin...

I guess sometimes an instrument just clicks with you, you know?

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Re: It Occurred to Me...

Way to go!

I'm sure my piano teacher, Miss Feldman would be thrilled to hear I'm still playing music... just not piano.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Play that mandolin for a few years and you might find yourself picking up that violin and calling it a fiddle .. .. .. .. I did .R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Funny you say that. I've already bought a book of fiddle tunes to learn on violin.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanQuinn View Post
    And it occurred to me today that the amount of time and effort (and love) I've been putting into the mandolin is exactly what my violin teacher has always wished I would put into the violin...

I guess sometimes an instrument just clicks with you, you know?
    I know EXACTLY what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanQuinn View Post
    Funny you say that. I've already bought a book of fiddle tunes to learn on violin.
    That's where we differ. I can never go back to the violin, no-no-no.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

===========

You have definitely found a love for your instrument, and if you have enough natural talent and/or ability, you will progress quickly.

When I hear people say that they have to push their kids to practice, my first thought is: "If they don't love it, chances are that they will never really be good at it; they may get the technical parts down, but they may never play with the heart that it takes to make the music come alive.' On the other hand, some of us absolutely love our music, but we just don't have the natural talent or ability to ever really be good at it . . . we are lifetime intermediates.

Keep following your love for the mandolin, work hard and enjoy.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    When I hear people say that they have to push their kids to practice, my first thought is: "[I]If they don't love it, chances are that they will never really be good at it;
    Love?? Boy, you don't play that menuet without a fault now you'll sleep in the cellar tonight, again!

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Yep. Happened to me in my mid fifties! A while back.... ........
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Blog Entries

The wand chooses the wizard. I'm glad the two of you connected!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Emersion isn't the only way, but it works for me too.
    Enjoy your ride!

If you have the ability learn as much as you can on the fiddle, fiddle players are in demand a lot more than mandolin players and if you plan on making a career out of playing music a fiddle would be the way to go, most fiddle players can also play mandolin so you can still do both...I never could master the handling of the bow to ever get to where I sounded decent on a fiddle...Lots of screeching, the cat would go into hiding every time I took it out of the case...It now hangs on the wall...the fiddle, not the cat...

Willie