Thread: Flatiron serial numbers

Default Flatiron serial numbers

I mentioned on here that I recently bought a used Flatiron. Im pretty sure it a pac-rim, serial number is DW0803010. Was it built in 08' you think? Appreciate the help. double E

Default Re: Flatiron serial numbers

The first two digits on a Flatiron serial number indicate the year it was built, so yes, yours was built in 2008. I don't know what the DW stands for or represents. Maybe somebody else will chime in on that. The label inside the mandolin should also tell you where it was built. Enjoy it.

Mike
    2007 Sumi F-5 Deluxe
    1991 Flatiron Performer A
    Martin D-35

The DW I believe identifies it as an import and the label inside probably doesn't list the country of origin as they put that on a sticker on the back of the headstock that could be easily removed. We have a few threads here that are many pages long about these being sold as American made.

Here's one for anyone that cares to look through pages of messages.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Thanks for the info guys. I knew the mandolin was an import before I went to look at it, but thought I would check it out anyway. There are no import stickers on it anywhere. I've never played an American made Flatiron but I've heard they are pretty
    nice instruments. This one sounded better than the MD315 Eastman I bought to begin with, which sounded decent for the money I thought. If my learning continues to improve I'll sell it and move up a little more. I'm happy with it for the time being.

Interesting 10 page read on the eBay Flatiron. My serial number starts with DW, definitely made over seas. But the label inside doesn't say F2 or Epiphone. It's says, The Flatiron. Style F-Festival. Gibson Original Acoustic Instruments. Just thought I'd post so someone else trying to decipher these would have a little info. Thanks again. You can learn a lot on forums if you ask. double E

Yours would be the normal label. Gibson has made the identification difficult.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Probably not of any assistance with the OP ... But I've had the opportunities to play several "newer" Flatirons (F and A styles), none of which really impressed me at all. Maybe I'm a bit biased simply because I love the sound of Gibsons (mandolins, guitars and yes banjo's too). This past Thursday evening I had the opportunity to hear and play an F-style Flatiron Performer, in which the owner stated he purchased it "used" 22 years ago (the label inside had little, if anything else other than Flatiron Performer as I recall...maybe a serial number??) ... From that info I ventured a guess that it was possibly a "pre" Gibson model ...??... Either way, I've had literally countless comments from reputable people/musicians of how good my Harvey F5G sounds, and I have to say, that this particular Flatiron sounded and played as good or better than my F5G .... Truly a mandolin anyone would be proud to own.
    Last edited by KGreene; Dec-31-2017 at 10:48pm.
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club