Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 'Randy Cordle conversion'

Default The 'Randy Cordle conversion'

I have started an electric guitar to octave mandolin conversion, using this instruction :
    http://emando.com/builders_active/mi...structions.htm
    If someone has already made this conversion and has advices, I would be happy to share experiences...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strato démontée.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	83072
    First of all, I disassembled the 69€ mini guitar...
    All the plastic parts are very cheap, but the wood, the finish are good, and the pick up are humless... Good surprise !

Then, I mark the new neck width (26mm at the nut, 47mm at the 12th fret)

Name:	marquage  de la largeur.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	83073
    Déjà Vu 5s 'Clockwork Orange 2' Emando - 'Clockwork Orange 3' Octave Emando - Goodtime Tenor Banjo - Former Framus mandocello
    Kasuga M50-Godin A8-Martella bowlback-Dunhuang Liuqin-Thüringer walddoline-2 Böhm waldzithers-electric waldzither-'Gelas' mandolin-domeback mandolin-Clearwater upgraded EMando

"A gentleman is a man who can play the bagpipe and who does not."

Default Re: The 'Randy Cordle conversion'

Interesting idea - I don't think there can be too many all electric OM's around, and for 69 euro it's hard to go wrong with that!

Yes, it worth a try !
    My last work : to remove the 9th fret dot marker, and replace it with a part of balata - Manilkara spp. (a kind of wood quite similar to rosewood), then I put a (boiled beef) bone dot marker at the 10th fret. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manche dot mark corrigé.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	83141
    Oups ! I failed to put it in the middle of the "box" fret !
    Déjà Vu 5s 'Clockwork Orange 2' Emando - 'Clockwork Orange 3' Octave Emando - Goodtime Tenor Banjo - Former Framus mandocello
    Kasuga M50-Godin A8-Martella bowlback-Dunhuang Liuqin-Thüringer walddoline-2 Böhm waldzithers-electric waldzither-'Gelas' mandolin-domeback mandolin-Clearwater upgraded EMando

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    I have started an electric guitar to octave mandolin conversion, using this instruction :
    http://emando.com/builders_active/mi...structions.htm
    If someone has already made this conversion and has advices, I would be happy to share experiences...
    ...Then, I mark the new neck width (26mm at the nut, 47mm at the 12th fret)

Name:	marquage  de la largeur.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	83073
    This looks like a great project! That set of instructions you have is excellent and very complete.

Do you plan on 8 strings or 4? I am assuming 4 because at 26 mm (1.02 inches) the nut would be really narrow for 8 strings.

I have a typical Weber octave (8 string) that is 36 mm (1.42 inches) at the nut.

How do you plan to slim down the neck? Best of luck and keep the details comming!!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

That neck looks more like 1 1/2" at the nut...

Yes, typing mistake : 36mm at the nut. Sorry.

Not a lot of work these days... Only the filling of the holes in the head...

Name:	Bouchage des trous de mécaniques.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	83236
    This week end I will reshape the neck using a belt sander, if I have enough free time...

My belt sander is in the vice, and I use it to shape the neck :

Name:	NECK SHAPING 2.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	83672

Name:	NECK SHAPINF.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	83673

After a lot of dust, the size is correct :

Name:	NECK  MODIFIFE.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	83671

How do you plan to slim down the neck?

The neck can be easily sanded to the required width by holding each side against a small 4" stationary belt sander equipped with a 80 grit belt. It should be done with frequent pauses to prevent the frets from overheating during the sanding operation. The flats created by reducing the neck width are then blended into the existing neck profile. It's actually quite easy!
    rudy44

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rudy44 View Post
    How do you plan to slim down the neck?

The neck can be easily sanded to the required width by holding each side against a small 4" stationary belt sander equipped with a 80 grit belt. It should be done with frequent pauses to prevent the frets from overheating during the sanding operation. The flats created by reducing the neck width are then blended into the existing neck profile. It's actually quite easy!
    Rudy I had the fret board off when I narrowed my fretboard & neck.

I made a jig with two 0.2 "X 1"X 30" pieces of flat iron. I lined the two pieces of metal up perfectly and then clamped them securely and drilled a 0.25" hole through both at each end and slipped a bolt through each and added a lock washer and nut.

Then I could slide fretboard between the flat iron strips at the proper depths to get the final width I wanted -- tightened down the bolts on each end, and then put the whole thing (flat irons and fretboard) in my bench vice and used a belt sander to take the fretboard down to the flat iron surface. Worked pretty well.

Then I dressed the frets, glued the binding back on and then glued the fretboard back on to the neck.

Finally I slimmed the neck to match the narrowed fretboard, re-contoured, sanded and re-stained it.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Yes, it worth a try !
    My last work : to remove the 9th fret dot marker, and replace it with a part of balata - Manilkara spp. (a kind of wood quite similar to rosewood), then I put a (boiled beef) bone dot marker at the 10th fret. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manche dot mark corrigé.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	83141
    Oups ! I failed to put it in the middle of the "box" fret !
    Yes I had to move the MOP dot from 9th to 10th on both guitar to mando conversions that I did too - what a nuisance!
    Then you have to move the side markers too!!
    Bernie
    ____

Yes Bernie, I did it this week end !
    First, I drill the new hole and the old side marker :

Name:	2trous.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	83989
    And I fill the "old hole" with a chip of wood (the same I used for the fretboard):

Name:	1trou comblé.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	83990
    Then, I took a little piece of bone :

Name:	side marker.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	228.8 KB 
ID:	83992
    and I put it in the right hole :

Name:	side marker placé.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	83991
    It was a 10mn job...

Another step : checking the tuners position :

Name:	IMPLANTATION MECANIQUES.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	84026
    then sawing and gluing...

Name:	COLLAGE.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	317.1 KB 
ID:	84025

This weekend, I cut and shaped the head and drilled the holes for the tuners :

Name:	decoupeteterecto.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	84549
    Then, I reduced the size of the neck pocket :

Name:	neckpocket2.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	84548

Still learning Taylor and Tenor's Avatar

I made a four string electric octave mandolin using a child's electric "Strato", cutting down the neck as you have - see past posting.

It worked out great until a fellow session player offered me more money for it than I could resist. He is still playing it and I bought another mandolin with the money.

Cool conversion. What are you going to do for getting the pickups to align with the new string setup--or are they pole-free bars?

Here's a cool conversion of an old Vox bass to a mandocello (or possibly OM) from David Lindley's large collection of stringed oddities. At one point he was talking about trying to put something similar into limited production, but I haven't heard any more news about that.

Name:	g3.gif 
Views:	326 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	84598

And a "flock" of Subway 'cellos from Fat Dog's Berkeley shop:

Name:	flock.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	84599
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    Cool conversion. What are you going to do for getting the pickups to align with the new string setup--or are they pole-free bars?

Here's a cool conversion of an old Vox bass to a mandocello (or possibly OM) from David Lindley's large collection of stringed oddities. At one point he was talking about trying to put something similar into limited production, but I haven't heard any more news about that.

That bass conversion is amazing -- I guess being a bass guitar it would have a 26"+ scale from the jump?
    The guitar conversions are great too! I had no idea folks were doing conversions like that. I guess rock and roll players are getting on to octaves and mandocellos?
    Bernie
    ____

Name:	g3.gif 
Views:	326 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	84598

Name:	flock.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	84599
    We'll wait for Ronny to chime in to see what he's going to do with the pickups. In the original conversion posted on E-mando I angled the original 6 pole pickups so the outer poles were centered under the first and fourth string pairs. Even though the remaining pole pieces didn't line up with the second and third pairs the magnetic field of the remaining 4 poles was wide enough that I couldn't notice any differance in volume on the string pairs.
    rudy44

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    That bass conversion is amazing -- I guess being a bass guitar it would have a 26"+ scale from the jump? The guitar conversions are great too! I had no idea folks were doing conversions like that. I guess rock and roll players are getting on to octaves and mandocellos?
    The "Wyman" bass (named for ex-Stones bassist, bill Wyman) has a 29.5" scale length.

Lindley's been into every possible stringed instrument--acoustic and electric--for eons, and the bass conversion is decades old. He was playing this stuff with Kaleidescope back in the '60s, and Grisman played 'cello with Earth Opera at about the same time, although I think he was playing an acoustic Gibson in that context. Rick Nielson of Cheap Trick apparently has an electric mandocello that he used on a few tracks, too, but in general it's still a pretty rarefied niche.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Here's a very rare Alembic e-mandocello. Most folks know of Alembic via their association with the Grateful Dead et al, and as incessant tinkerers and restless intellects, it doesn't surprise me that they built at least one of these.

Name:	alembic cello.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	84652

More photos here.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Blog Entries

Here's a very rare Alembic e-mandocello. Most folks know of Alembic via their association with the Grateful Dead et al, and as incessant tinkerers and restless intellects, it doesn't surprise me that they built at least one of these.

Name:	alembic cello.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	84652

More photos here.
    Beautiful instrument except for the "tailpiece"! I'd love to give it a fling.
    Bernie
    ____

For the pick up alignment, I will try to follow Randy Cordle path... But I'm stuck now with the shaping of the pickguard... I chose an inox piece to cut the pickguard from... And it's difficult !

Name:	Pickguard .jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	84693
    By the way, I don't think I'll keep 3 pickups...

Name:	Pickguard et modèle.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	84692

Except for the tailpiece (which look cheap), the Alembic cello is beautiful... And the "Long Horn" cello from Fat Dog's shop too !

Blog Entries

For the pick up alignment, I will try to follow Randy Cordle path... But I'm stuck now with the shaping of the pickguard... I chose an inox piece to cut the pickguard from... And it's difficult !
    By the way, I don't think I'll keep 3 pickups...

Name:	Pickguard et modèle.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	84692

Except for the tailpiece (which look cheap), the Alembic cello is beautiful... And the "Long Horn" cello from Fat Dog's shop too !
    Looking good!
    Bernie
    ____

The pickguard is done :

Name:	pickguard percé.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	85568
    I choose to make a humbucker out of 2 single coil pickups. So I had to check the polarity :

Name:	verif polarité.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	85566

Name:	pickguard monté.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	85567

I order to put the pickup, I had to modify the body of the guitar :

Name:	defonçage.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	85638
    Then, I made a gingko biloba leaf

Name:	incrustation tete.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	85640
    out of an abalone shell

Name:	source de nacre.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	85641,
    in order to have a nice head, and to hide some scratch in the veener

Name:	detail tete.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	85639
    The nut has been done using a "beef stew" bone.