Thread: Seeking Advice on Different Instrument Types

Default Seeking Advice on Different Instrument Types

Hi. This is a follow-up to my post of Sep-10-2017 ("Advice on Instruments in Japan")

As I wrote before, I've been thinking of getting a mandolin because I'd like to get something tuned in fifths and of similar length/scale to my violin. In the meantime, I've been using a friend's mandolin while contemplating what to buy.

Maybe it's just that the loaner instrument isn't very good or well adjusted, but the double metal strings and overall string tension has got me wondering if there aren't special-made mandolins or other mandolin-like plucked instruments that I might consider...

So that the fingering and reaches are similar to what I already know, I'd like something tuned in fifths and close to violin length/scale, as I mentioned. And I'd also like a radiused fretboard. I'm not seeking an instrument that'll cut through a loud band. Mostly, I just want to enjoy playing various things in a small acoustic group, as well as some Bach and other classical music by myself.

Maybe lower tension or some gut or gut&wound strings that might be easier on my 60-year-old fingers? Or possibly even single strings?? Is there such a mandolin or mandolin-like instrument???

Default Re: Seeking Advice on Different Instrument Types

A well setup instrument shouldn't be that difficult to play. I'm 66, have been playing for a little over two years, and whatever discomfort I experienced, likely went away in the first few months. If we knew what brand of mandolins were available in your area, and your budget range, we would be better equipped to make, more informed suggestions.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

The usual advice for people interested in giving small children mandolins might help here -- either ultra light strings, reduce the strings to four or get a uke and tune it to fifths. That might help if the current instrument hurts your fingers. You can also try a bowlback and ultralight strings -- the ones I've had had slightly shorter scale lengths and the tension didn't seem as high. I imagine there are gut mando strings, but I've never seen them.

That being said, I'm curious what the name on the instrument you're currently borrowing is and whether it's solid wood or laminate, what it's currently strung with (string weight, that is) and whether it's been properly set up. Learning the mandolin certainly comes with some time to adjust your fingers to the double courses and building up callouses, and if you've just picked it up a week ago, you still have some time to acclimate, but the process shouldn't kill your fingers. You might ask for a copy of Rob Meldrum's setup manual (it's free to café members) if you're at all handy to see if your instrument is fixable (if messed up) or if the mandolin as an instrument is the problems. My 2 cents.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

While mandolin is by no means easy to play, it sounds to me like the setup is not good on the mandolin you are playing. My daughter, a professional violist, picked up my mandolin when I told her it was the same tuning as a violin, and immediately tossed off the prelude to a Bach suite. No problem with fretting.

I've played many a mandolin I couldn't bare to play for ten minutes. Get Rob Meldrum's e book and make some measurements comparing where things should be to where they are.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

In replies to the previous thread mentioned above, Sumi mandolins were suggested several times, and I've since talked with Sumi's rep in here Japan about having a Sumi mandolin built. The Sumi seems like it'll be a marvelous instrument. And I'm totally fine with the price.

Where I live -- in the boonies in Japan -- I can't easily go somewhere to try out lots of different instruments for comparison, so I was just curious to know what other options there might be.

The suggestion of ultra light strings is a good one. Thanks!

The name on the instrument I'm borrowing is Aria. The front looks like solid wood. The back, laminate. And it has a flat fingerboard. It's currently strung with fairly hefty strings, but I don't have the packaging to know what gauges they are. I'm fairly certain that the instrument was not properly set up.

Since it'll take up to half a year for the Sumi to be made, I'll ask for a copy of Rob Meldrum's setup manual and check with my friend if it's OK to mess with the Aria and replace the strings with ultra lights. I'll also give myself time for my fingers to adjust.

I love the sound of mandolin. But I'd also be fine having another instrument tuned in 5ths that has lower string tension or softer strings, and even with something that could be finger plucked. So I really like the suggestion of getting a ukulele and tuning it to fifths. In addition to getting a Sumi mandolin, I think I'll try the uke suggestion! (I'm assuming the dropped G 4th string will have to be a wound string, and that the other three strings, raised to D A E, might require different thinner gauge gut from the normal uke C E and A gut strings. If someone has done that and has advice, please let me know.)

Thanks!

Blog Entries

The Sumi should easily surpass the Aria on all fronts.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

I have one of my soprano ukuleles tuned GDAE. Aquila makes a special set for that tuning. The only problem with that is the high e-string, that breaks from time to time. I solved that problem in buying a set of strings for another instrument ( don't rmemeber the name), that includes 3 e-strings, each the length of two strings.
    The sound is nice for baroque:

or more modern mandolin music.

You could just remove the double string in each set until you find a mandolin that meets your needs better.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Thanks again for all the great suggestions and links.

Now I'm especially excited about having a GDAE ukulele. I like the tone, especially for classical pieces!

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

An octave mandolin might be worth test-driving, too.

Maybe a 4 string domra would be something you could find locally? I've always wanted to try one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman View Post
    Maybe a 4 string domra would be something you could find locally?...
    "In the boonies in Japan"? Good luck...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Maybe a 4 string domra would be something you could find locally? I've always wanted to try one myself.
    Don't know about Japan, but Thomann in Germany sells a nice 4-string domra made by Hora.
    It doesn't play as easily as a ukulele in mando-tuning, but easier than an 8.string mandolin.
    And it doesn't sound too bad...

My experience is that most Aria's are at lest decent instuments. Setup is as others have said a likely culprit. If you have Rob's book you can do some measuring and see if it woud benifit from a setup. It is common for nuts to be cut high from the factory on all but the top of the line instruments. That can make playing in the first few positions uncomfortable.

Find a Tenor guitar. The single strings are easier on the fingers and you have extended your range down a fifth or an octave, opening up new avenues of music. I found an old Stromberg-Voisinet tenor that I love which I strung and tuned like an octave mandolin. Tenor guitars are normally tuned a fifth lower than a mandolin/violin as is a mandola.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

I want to thank everyone for two things -- First, for all the wonderful suggestions. And second, for being so nice. I'm new to this forum, and I really appreciate the many kind, helpful remarks. Thanks, again!