Thread: NOOB Question about chord choices...

Default NOOB Question about chord choices...

I'm learning a simple tune with the chord progression G -> B -> C -> Cm

How do you guys/gals decide what fingering to use for these chords? Also, would anyone play the G with the second and third finger so that moving to the B is easier?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: NOOB Question about chord choices...

This is going to sound like a stupid reply, but the REAL answer is to find a sequence that YOU like best. Now, there are some things to consider in this-- I would suggest that you explore fingerings that contain some continuity in the movement of notes-- bass or treble-- either upwards or downwards in a pleasing fashion. In the example above, an upward treble line might be G (4-5-5-x) B (4-4-6-x) C (5-5-7-x) Cm (6-6-7-x).

Others will probably have great suggestions, but you really can't go wrong shooting for melodic movements of the individual notes within the chords in a progression. Ultimately, YOUR ear decides what you like best.

How about G (0023), B (4467), C (5578), Cm (5568)? It's a I-III-IV-iv progression. Lots of pop songs with the similar I-iii-IV-V.
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

I also would play it like Pete describes above. Note that 0-5-2-3 or 4-5-2-3 are both nice ways to play G. You could also start with X-5-5-7 for G, and keep your left hand in the same neck location throughout.

One way to do it all in first position is 0-5-2-3, X-4-2-2, 5-2-3-0, X-1-3-X for a nice walkdown on the D string (playing the following notes: G, F#, E, Eb).

My first choice for chords/fingerings is always the one that comes most easily/naturally to me. After that, variations seem to rain down from the sky.
    [note to self] Burst not thy brother's bubble ~ unk