Thread: Interesting Pederson mandolin on Ebay

Default Interesting Pederson mandolin on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pederson-A-S...53.m1438.l2649

This one seems nicely built with the unusual feature of an attached bridge instead of a floating bridge. Perhaps this works being a flat top? Seems like a reasonable starting price, note that the bridge has cracks that may need attending to at some point. I enjoyed looking at the makers other instruments (Facebook: Pederson guitars).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pederson mandolin 1.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	258.2 KB 
ID:	160182   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pederson mandolin 2.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	160183   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pederson mandolin 3.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	249.6 KB 
ID:	160184  

Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Default Re: Interesting Pederson mandolin on Ebay

The instrument in question looks like it was made by a skilled woodworker/luthier. If I'd seem it 20 years ago I'd have bought it. The asking price does not seem out of line with the quality of the build; if anything, it looks to be underpriced.

It's the only fixed-bridge mandolin I've seen (except for solid-body electrics) which makes me wonder whether it's outside the definition of "mandolin", but that's just splitting hairs. I'd wonder how the differing structure would influence the sound of the instrument.

You gonna buy it? It looks very much like the sort of thing one would regret, years later, as being one that got away. There are several instruments in that category in my back pages, and I still regret passing up the opportunities.

3. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post:

"You gonna buy it? It looks very much like the sort of thing one would regret, years later, as being one that got away. There are several instruments in that category in my back pages, and I still regret passing up the opportunities".

Bob, A part of me is very tempted. It piques my curiosity plus it does look like a great value. I just spent some money on a piece to supplement a pa system so not sure if I can justify it. I hope I don't regret not getting it. Like you, I've not seen fixed bridges on mandolins other than the electric solid bodies and the Ovation acoustic/electric mandolins.

Looks kind of interesting. If it doesn't break the bank, I'd say go for it.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

It's got 15 watchers with 5 hrs to go. Unless someone uses the "buy it now" button, I predict a snipefest in the closing seconds of bidding.

Looks very nice, I would worry about intonation with a straight saddle.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I remember many years ago playing a Pederson mandolin in Rudy's when the store was on 48th Street. In fact, I ran into Craig there and had a nice talk with him at that time IIRC. Price is reasonable but would cost some more to have it repaired since the bridge is cracked and possibly the bridge plate (I would assume there was one since was probably designed similar to a guitar). As seller noted, no guarantee that Craig would fix it for free.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The auction ended with no bids. If I wasn't in the UK I'd have had a bid, I do like flat tops!
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Been watching that one. Second or third time listed for this instrument. Thing is, from what I see in the photos, there is a problem with the bridge. Not just because it's cracked, but it looks like the saddle leaned forward to crack it up front. Besides the dryness cracks around the bridge pins.

Of course, I could easily be reading that wrong and it's an easy fix.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

yeah i watched this several times and though about it. it's cheap. but forgive my blasphemy, i have too many mandolins. a great starter for someone, maybe a great player. i am surprised no one bid. august can be very slow on e bay. i bought a vega cylinder back pretty cheap and a seventies guild d 25 with the arch back cheap so i've done my august damage.

there was a preston cittern in great shape for a 250 year old instrument that tempted me. had two listings before some one bought. well under market. but i have told myself i am not buying collectors items anymore, only players.

anyone want to buy a harp or guitar or mando or saz ????

Ovation mandolins also have fixed bridge like guitars. I had one and it has intonation slightly off which is hard to fix.

It's back! at $275.00 buy it now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pederson-A-S...MAAOSwooRZjPhq

I am again resisting buying it as I must stay focused on my goal (to accumulate funds for another purchase).

14. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

Stay Strong Jim...I'm holding on it too...could be an expensive repair

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indexless For This Useful Post:

I think it would be challenging to duplicate that bridge. It makes me think of the Roy Smeck "Aero Bridge". A luthier friend has a cnc that might handle it but again, I'm saving for a bigger fish, lol!

18. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

I see it's now sold. Who caved?

I'm still master of my domain!

Hi guys, I am a classical violinist who is new to mandolin cafe. I really wanted to purchase a quality mandolin as a side hobby and searched eBay for a few days to find one. After my long search, I found the Pederson Mandolin on sale and tried to research it on the internet, which is why I stumbled upon this thread lol. Eventually I did purchase the mandolin yesterday (despite the risk of having to pay a hefty repair fee) and I will update my experience with it on this thread as soon as I receive it.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gcubed For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Welcome, g^3. I look forward to hearing the rest of the story. I debated with myself on this mandolin, too.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Gcube, Yes! Welcome. How cool that you checked in and joined. I too look forward to the progress of your Pederson. I believe it's well worth putting some money into getting this in shape, especially considering the great price it sold for.

really cool G....keep us in the viewfinder on this one, it looked like a winner

Thanks for the support guys! Will keep you updated!