Thread: Powered Monitor Question

Default Powered Monitor Question

My band uses a Yamaha 16 channel mixer with 2 Behringer Eurolive 1000w powered speakers. We're trying to pick out stage monitors. There are some Eurolive monitors that get good reviews, and they are 550w.

My question is how powerful do monitors need to be relative to the power of the PA speakers? Would these monitors be ok for our setup?

Thanks for your input.

Here's our current PA speakers: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringe...-MP3-Player.gc

Here's the monitors we're looking at: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...xoCfEMQAvD_BwE

Would these monitors be OK?
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Default Re: Powered Monitor Question

There is no direct relationship between main and monitor power, other than being able to generate enough sound pressure on stage to hear what you want to hear. That is dependent on the volume of the other musicians, the dynamics of the room, crowd noise, and the type of music. For instance, a band with a drummer, playing in a gymnasium, is going to have much different monitor needs than an acoustic trio playing outside.

Additionally, sound pressure can vary from speaker to speaker even though they are consuming the same wattage. Some cabinets are more efficient than others, and a good crisp speaker can cut through better than an old one where the cones are soft.

That aside, the monitors should work fine. I tend to turn my nose up at Behringer but you get a lot for what you pay. I'm a big fan of Yamaha gear, though. Ideally your mixer will have as many sends as you can get so you can each have your own personal mix at a volume that you can hear what you want without drowning out everyone else.

I had an interesting situation two weeks ago where I set up "inside" a very dynamic guitarist who plays a Gibson Jumbo. Everytime he turned "in" towards the rest of us, I couldn't hear my monitor or even my mandolin. The next night I set up "outside" of him, asked for a little more overall monitor, and all was well.
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

One of the places we play in has a large floor monitor from the PA. They also have a Fishman amp sitting on a shelf. I remove the floor monitor and use the Fishman for a monitor. We hear better and it sounds much cleaner. My monitors have 8" speakers and they work great, you don't need a lot of power for monitors, well depending on what you are doing. If you are acoustic stage volume needn't be loud. I also don't like horns in monitors, they are a long throw device and I have never had monitor that far away. I use soft dome tweeters and an 8" speaker. I like the monitor loud enough so you can hear well, but not so loud you can tell it is coming from the monitor.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks for the detailed responses. This helps. I'm a newbie with the sound stuff, but trying to school myself.

We're currently torn between the Yamaha and the Behringer. We already own those Behringer mains so I think it makes to get the same monitors, but both sound really nice.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

I'd suggest using 8" over 12" for monitors (and mains!).

Blog Entries

Between Yamaha and Behringer monitors I'd take the Yamaha's every time. Good speakers. Well built, solid designs, sound good and last years. Incidentally, for most acoustic music I also prefer 8" or 10" monitors.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Blog Entries

You might want to look at these - I like them a lot better than the Behringer's in the 'value monitor' stakes:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...tors-Alto-TX-8
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Recalling past discussions .. rather than at your feet in front of you, having monitors behind the mains, sharing the limited space
    but facing the players.. from 'the wings' reportedly helps reduce onstage feedback potential a bit..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture