Thread: Thoughts on a good F4/F5 Hybrid?

Default Thoughts on a good F4/F5 Hybrid?

Hello all- Long time lurker on this forum, but newly registered to make this post!

I'm looking to upgrade my beginner level mandolin to a real instrument. I play a mix of Jazz/Americana/Bach/Bluegrass, either solo or in duets. I list Bluegrass at the end because a chop that can cut through a large group is not a priority for me. I want a warm tone, but on an instrument that gives me the ability to dig in if I want to get percussive. Sustain is very important to me, as is projecting separation between notes. It's also important to me to have at least 22 frets to get that high D.

And as far as price range, well when I started thinking about this upgrade a month ago it was $3k - $5k, however after spending way too much time on this forum and other far reaches of the mando-web, my range has shifted to $5k - $7.5k

Currently I've zeroed in on a Weber Vintage F14-O. Unfortunately there isn't one anywhere near me to play, so to this forum I turn!

Has anyone ever played one of these, and if so what was your impression?

I would also love to hear any suggestions anyone has for other makers/models that I should investigate. I am definitely open to getting something custom from a small builder, but don't think I am willing to wait a year for something to get built.

Greg

Default Re: Thoughts on a good F4/F5 Hybrid?

Hi, Greg. I have not played a Weber Vintage F. I do own a Weber Fern oval (which has very old wood), and it is an amazing instrument. I think it has everything you are looking for. In my experience, Weber makes fantastic ovals. Some people do not care for the hybrid thing, as it does not sound like a traditional Gibson oval or an f-hole instrument, but I like them. The word that came to mind the first time I played my Fern was "symphonic." That's still the word that comes to mind.

If you've been lurking here you already know that in your price range, you can probably get a very nice f or a top-shelf a style. So, I won't lecture you on the cost of the strap hanger.

In your price range there are a lot of small builders (and some larger such as Collings) who make great mandolins. Personally, if I had $7,500 to spend and I wanted an oval, I would talk to Brian Dean first. I own one of his mandolins and I am certain he could provide you whatever sound you wanted in a mandolin that would also be a work of art. I don't know what his build time is these days, though.

Good luck, have fun in the search and be sure to let us know where you land.

I would look hard at this Northfield.
    I am a big Weber fan, but I prefer the Montana made ones to the TOH Webers.
    I used to have one of the first Vintage A's Bruce made, should have never let it go.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/112647#112647

Dave Sheets

If you get a chance, I'd suggest trying a Collings MTO just as a point of reference on sound, something to compare other instruments to.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

I build a hybrid f4, checkout our website
    Www.bulldog-instruments.com
    Listed under oval holes

I suggest you consider an Ellis A or Kimble A4. Great instruments for the price. The retail price for an Ellis A5 (to give you a ball park figure) sold at Music Emporium was $5200. There are a number of outstanding A4s at that price range. What would be right for you is more an aspect of personal preference. These are just two that ring my bell. 4s are not commonly in music stores. I know if you call Tom Ellis or Will Kimble, they will make you one. I am not sure of the wait times at this time.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    I suggest you consider an Ellis A or Kimble A4. Great instruments for the price. The retail price for an Ellis A5 (to give you a ball park figure) sold at Music Emporium was $5200. There are a number of outstanding A4s at that price range. What would be right for you is more an aspect of personal preference. These are just two that ring my bell. 4s are not commonly in music stores. I know if you call Tom Ellis or Will Kimble, they will make you one. I am not sure of the wait times at this time.
    I apologize for not reading your question. Truly, I am an F style fan, but with the budget you are providing, the tonal quality of the Ellis A4 or Kimble A4 is way greater than than any F in that price range. So I would get Tom or Will to make me one if I had that price range or I would safe and get them to make me their more expensive F cousins. I would not buy an F in that that range. Just my prospective. I know I offered a ham sandwich when you asked for a turkey. My bad.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    I know I offered a ham sandwich when you asked for a turkey.

Hey, when you hungry, you hungry

9. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

You and Eric both have me questioning why I am not targeting an A. I think I need to just take a trip to Nashville and spend a day playing everything in sight before I make any decision.

11. The following members say thank you to MandoGreg for this post:

There is this Mowry hybred A in the classifieds.......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/112296#112296

Pretty sweet looking. NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I am very familiar with Andrew Mowry's work, but not his oval holes. I have a Guitar Shaped Octave Mandolin he made for me. I have played a number of his F5s. He work is outstanding. That is one beautiful oval. Were my finances a bit clearer, I might make an offer on it. The prices seems right. NFI
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Quote Originally Posted by MandoGreg View Post
    Thanks for all the replies everyone.

You and Eric both have me questioning why I am not targeting an A. I think I need to just take a trip to Nashville and spend a day playing everything in sight before I make any decision.
    Scroll fever is a real thing (I just seem to be more or less immune to it.) and in your price range you can get one heck of a nice f-style mandolin, the sort that most would think of as a "lifetime" mandolin. I think a trip to Nashville is a great idea. I don't know what the stock of ovals is at Carter's, Gruhn's and Cotten, but you'll surely get to play some world-class instruments. I used to go to Nashville just to play the walls. It really helped me figure out what I wanted in a mandolin.

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

The hybrid f ovals that Eddie Blevins has listed in the classifieds are stunning to look at and very reasonably priced. He's somewhere in Tennessee also. Might want to check his out as well
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    There is this Mowry hybred A in the classifieds
    That one is local to me, along with a beautiful Collings MF5V. Knowing my buying tendencies, I've been keeping my distance.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Not sure if he would make an F4 but Mike Black is well know for his oval hole mandolins. Plenty of youtube videos. I know a terrific mandolin player and he has a late 20's Gibson F4 that is incredible. If I was looking in that price range I would sure keep my eye out for one from that era. Good luck in the search.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/cottenmu...05495436129627

A Kimble F-0. He only made two of them and he's not making ovals anymore. I was right on the verge of buying this one myself but we've started house hunting so no new mandos for awhile.....

I've been looking for a reason to build a VX-O . . .
    Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StevenS View Post
    I've been looking for a reason to build a VX-O . . .
    Steve
    Steve any VX you build is simply put wicked and sinful But for me No O here in my future.

Going back to Greg's first post, that Weber F14-0 looks really nice. I would love to play one.

Then there is this Collings in the classifieds.......

http://themusicemporium.com/mandolin...-quilted-maple

I know it is above the stated price range of that Greg stated but it sure is a looker!

Good luck with your search.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings