Thread: Anyone upgraded to better tuning machines on Kentucky F model?

Default Anyone upgraded to better tuning machines on Kentucky F model?

Hi friends - I have a Kentucky KM-650 mandolin, 2010 vintage. It has the stock Golden Gate tuning machines. I have been looking at other options for better tuners, as these are still stiff and hard to use, and I would also prefer longer shafts to clear the side of the headstock better. I am unable to get comfortable shopping online looking at pics and reading measurements, in terms of finding good tuners (Grover, Gotoh, etc.) that will just swap directly without mods.

Does anyone have any experience changing the stock Golden Gate tuners (FM-7 model) to another tuner? Thoughts?

Thx friends for your help.

K

Default Re: Anyone upgraded to better tuning machines on Kentucky F model

the km-650 uses standard worm-over "F" tuners. for any mando, do check out rubner tuners, they're super smooth and have become my faves. rubners come in both worm-over or under.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

Schaller's have been available in worm over configuration but it's sometimes hard to tell if you're getting them in the normal turning configuration or reverse. They will probably have the longest posts. The newer Grover worm over F style tuners turn in the reverse of a normal tuner and they have very short shafts. Gotoh's are available worm over and have the advantage of having removable buttons. The Rubner tuners are indeed nice. You need to measure from post center to post center and make sure those tuners are the standard .906 inches (23.01mm) width.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

rubner worm overs are long shaft - i took great pains in checking that out. rubner measurement, from the center of the roller gear to the bottom of the button shaft is 1-1/8 inches. if they can fit a breedlove crossover FF and clear that exceptionally wide headstock, there shouldn't be an issue with any other mandolin brand "F" headstock. i consider rubners in the class of waverlys, but without the waverly price tag. ymmv.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

I used to have a km 600 with those same tuners. I had some trouble with them but discovered that the problem was the crappy plastic bushings, which kept backing out, going crooked, and binding the posts. Once I replaced those bushings with proper metal ones, the difference was like night and day.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    the km-650 uses standard worm-over "F" tuners. for any mando, do check out rubner tuners, they're super smooth and have become my faves. rubners come in both worm-over or under.
    Yeah, I've been looking at the Rubner tuners too. Am hoping to find tuners that do NOT require enlarging the shaft holes, or using new screw holes. BUT, I think that's too much to ask. Thx for the pos review on the Rubners!

Thx for the info. I'll check out the Schallers, and I've also thought the Grovers are too short in the shaft. Gotohs are possible I guess, but you are another that like Rubners, so am going to check them out heavily, and do some measuring. Thx a bunch.

Well, the Rubners look fantastic for sure. Definitely going to invest my Saturday checking them out, and trying to find a price, dealer, etc. Thx again man.

Hmmm. Thx Don for the heads up on the bushing. Mine are not plastic, but I will check them out anyway and see if they are binding a little.

You can order the Rubner tuners online from their website. Assuming you are in the US they will be shipped from a US location. They arrive pretty quickly.

https://www.rubnertuners.com/worm-ov...-machines-new/
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

FWIW - I upgraded the tuners on my Mid-Missouri M4 to Rubner tuners (I can't remember which model). Both myself and my tech were impressed with the quality.