Thread: A different bridge design.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default A different bridge design.

I have used this bridge design on the last few projects I have built including, 4 string 6 string & now this 8 string OM thingy....
    To be honest it just sort of evolved over time & I don't really know if it has any benefits over other designs.
    However it does allow two ways of fitting the strings, over the saddle and straight onto the tailpiece or over the saddle and through the holes onto the tailpiece.
    So far, in every case I have tried, the 'through the holes sounds better and definitely offers more sustain!
    Of course that might be due to the bracing and overall design of the instrument?
    I have also used a brass pin dropped down into the tail block, I like this design as it allows for potential tone adjustment.
    By fitting different length pins it is possible to reduce or increase string tension over the bridge.
    But again I don't claim any benefits as so far I have just used a short pin.
    What do you think?

Last edited by fox; Jun-11-2017 at 4:35pm.

2. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

derbex 

Default Re: A different bridge design.

Interesting. It is somewhat a variant of the bridges and tensioners on old Italian mandolins, like this DeMeglio:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	demeglio_bridgetp.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	158121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	demeglio_bridge2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	158122  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

fox 

I've always preferred the idea of the strings passing through the bridge and being fixed at the end of the guitar(or whatever instrument) at a tail piece rather than the strings diving down into the bridge and being held by bridge pins. I just like the idea of the strings pushing the bridge down into the soundboard with the pass through to the tail piece design rather than the strings pulling the bridge plate up toward the neck as with the bridge pin design.

I would imagine the guitars bracing does need to be matched to the design.

Your design appears it may do a little of both. At the saddle, (front end of the bridge plate) the strings are pushing down. At the "the little holes" the strings are torquing that back end of the plate back up. Maybe that transfers vibration to a larger surface area while minifying some of the dampening to the soundboard because of the pulling up through the holes? Such that for the way your guitar is braced, you get more sustain? (I am only moving some air here--I have no technical knowledge)

So, anyway, I like your design. And for guitars too.
    Last edited by Astro; Jun-11-2017 at 3:36pm.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

6. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

fox 

Blog Entries

It reminds me of the Gelas bridges
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1795.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	323.9 KB 
ID:	158134 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1796.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	158135
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

8. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

derbex 

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I like your bridge. Does it tend to breakages? That would be the only thing. Otherwise there's a lot of advantage there I think. Congratulations.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

10. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

fox 

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

From looking at the pictures it appears that this style of bridge would eliminate vibration associated with the tail piece cover experienced on some mandolins.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

What I must try is a reverse pull on the bridge, I could try this by raising the tailpiece up high,.
    That would put an upward force on the soundboard?

Wouldn't it put an upward force at the back and a downward one at the front? If you wanted a pure upward force then perhaps you just need the back part of the bridge with the holes in it?
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Yeah maybe but it just for fun
    Its just me mate, I like to experiment & see how I can adapt things, I am not trying to reinvent the wheel its just that I like my instrument's to be different but still sound ok.
    I have in my mind a design that will put a very direct upward pull, it involves a palm rest directly above the bridge. The rest would be an arch that extended across the lower bout & would be fixed to the rim and sides. I just need to find the time....
    I also forgot to mention that the bridge design (above post) has a pin in the tail block but the neck also extends right back to the block & is rigidly fixed to the block.
    It seemed to me that one piece neck (well three pieces laminates) running through the guitar with a direct contact to the tailpiece might have some small effect on the sound.

15. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

derbex