Thread: Stripped down f styles

Default Stripped down f styles

I'm looking at some of the no frills small factory or luthier built mandolins out there but have certainly not played them all. There is a huge variance in price between something like a Ratliff Country Boy and a Gibson F9, with the Weber Galatin somewhere in between. Anyone had direct comparisons? Any others I should consider?

I'm also considering an Arches kit because I like building things and can do the fretwork required. Where are they, assuming a competent build, in the sceme of things? If I went that direction I could work towards a vintage Gibson.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Default Re: Stripped down f styles

In my mind, if you strip the frills off of an F-style, you're left with an A-style.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Yeah... I'm one of the few I guess, that think a stripped down F style is odd looking to me. Sorry about the strong description, but F styles scream for beauty. The scroll alone only goes so far. Ever seen those stripped down Ford Mustangs and Dodge Chargers? Something looks off.

Anyway, the OP wants one so I'm sure there's one out there for him.

You might talk to Howard 'Sonny' Morris who builds in Oregon. He may very well be one of the best bang for the buck boutique builders going and a cafe member to boot....btw..no affiliation

Hmm. Just a wild thought- anybody got a picture of an actual mandolin, A model, with just the scroll? Just the strap hanger? That would be a stripped down model.

Blog Entries

My first real good mandolin was a 2000-01 Gibson F5-G, I bought new at the time for a little under 3G and played it, loved it, modified it but of course eventually swapped her off! I would like it back if I ever could find her again! Nothing wrong with em, they just don't have the bling as the higher end models but guess what a good share of em sound exactly the same in MHO!

My daughter can do as she wills with my F5G when I'm gone to the last jam. Bling is OK, but the sound, tone and volume, are the thing that keeps MAS at bay. You will have to kiss a few frogs, but a non-bling instrument with THE sound is out there.
    Mike Snyder

I have no trouble not paying for bling. I'd rather have an F5G and a 1920 A2 than a fancier F style. That's how I roll. Same with guitars. I've got a Guild D 35 I love, and a 00 15 Martin custom. That has only tortoise binding.

In no way shape or form do I not think a fern is a beautiful mandolin.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

10. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

It may just be me, but I actually really like the looks of some of the mandolins without binding. I think that a Weber Gallatin looks every bit as good as their other models, just a little different with its lack of adornment.

For whatever reason A styles just don't do it for me on the looks department either. I have no idea why, but it 's just true. (And it's not an overexposure to bluegrass expectations either as I came to mandolin with relatively little background in anything mandolin.)

You could check out Shawnee Creek Mandolins. I have no hands-on experience with them, but they seem to be making the type of instrument in which you're interested.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I had a matte finish Collings MF. It was truly a cannon. I have regretted selling that one. A friend liked mine so much that he recently bought a used one (not the same one) from Carter's. It is also a cannon. I think the matte finish and dark binding really looked cool. I would have that baby back again, anytime. I think you can find them used in the 3k+ range. I am sure there are some knowledgeable Collings people that could provide you a current range for them. You would not be disappointed, from my experience, anyway.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

IMHO - It's hard to see what you can strip from a mandolin that isn't required !. Edge binding might be one thing,but it's hard to see what else,unless you dispense with any fingerboard markings & headstock inlay -that's about all i can see. Everything else is needed.
    Maybe a request to one of our luthier contributors could come up with what you want ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Keep us updated if you go this route. I love fancy wood grain, but binding, inlays, and gold hardware are for the birds.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Must admit, I really like the look of the Weber Gallatin - especially ones with the older "hook" scroll. Don't have one, but have played a couple and they've been really loud and punchy. Beautifully made and there's something about the lack of bling and gloss that really appeals.

When I first saw the post title, I was thinking this would be a thread about stripping finishes off mandolins and just letting the wood show through (with the wood refinished and sealed).

However, that really is not the case, but I have both embellished and "stripped down" f style mandolins. I have a Michael Kelly Firefly Flame that has the purfling and bindings, an intricate fretboard inlay pattern and headstock inlay. Regardless of what many think of the mandolin, it is "fancy". I also have a Weber Gallatin which is almost a no frills f style mandolin. Both have a good sound to them which I like.

I am sure there are builders there that will build a no frills mandolin.
    I can only play half as much as I want, because I only play half as much as I would like.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Ludewig View Post
    Hmm. Just a wild thought- anybody got a picture of an actual mandolin, A model, with just the scroll? Just the strap hanger? That would be a stripped down model.
    Let's start a business that makes add on scrolls for A model upgrades, perhaps it can be in conjunction with a ToneGard device and armrest. Extra fees for addition of one, two or even three body points! idea copywrite!

The scroll and points can be a muted color, it might look like the weird yamaha and zeta violins.
    Anyone want to invest in that startup?
    Last edited by MontanaMatt; Jun-11-2017 at 11:01am. Reason: Snark-humor?
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

To reply to your original question, I am a new devote of Ratliff, he might even do custom Country Boy options...
    He has extremely reasonable prices for the quality of his work...it seems he prices his mandolins at half of what the other master builders do.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I'd be beating the bushes for an older F5G. I own a 2005. A Weber Galatin that was owned by a friend of mine passed through here a few years back. I wasn't real keen on it but that could have been a setup issue. I've never held a Ratliff.

I picked the F5G off the wall at Mandolin Brothers. I played every mandolin on that wall that day including some that were mch more expensive. I kept coming back to this F5G.

I've been looking at Chris Baird's kits for years thinking I should build one. Maybe someday. I like his mandolins.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber