Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Hero

Default Mandolin Hero

When I was 15 I had Folk Music Heroes - The Weavers were first, The Kingston Trio (I can still listen to them) - Bob Dylan's first album just blew me away. Looking back, it's amazing how quickly and in such a short period of time the Beatles and Jefferson Airplane replaced them all.

So … As I slip slowly into senility and regress to the level of a 15-year-old "fan" (we're not talking poster on the wall yet, but who knows) I'm delighted to say I've found a truly great mandolin hero - Butch Baldassari.

Who's yours?

Default Re: Mandolin Hero

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post

Who's yours?
    Mine would have to be those who inspired me most when I was 15 (Page and JPJ) - introduced me to not only mndln, but also dadgad gtr, banjo, pedal steel, and Bert Jansch...which got me into trad music, in which I'm still immersed today.

*More contemporaneously, I suppose Sam Bush - who I saw performing (with NGR-mates) in a Boulder record store. I thought - his double mand/fiddle case was the bees knees - inspired me to get one (and play more fiddle)
    Last edited by catmandu2; Apr-27-2017 at 2:35pm.

Jethro.

He's why I have a 2 point.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

That would be Peter Ostrouschko for me. His hero-ship was secured when I was still a new player, when I first heard this cut and this CD.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZwNjQUYD6I
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

5. The following members say thank you to acousticphd for this post:

The Dawg, Sam, Bill.............I guess anyone who can play better than I can.

Here in Helena, Montana we don't get to see many big time players, but my inspiration is John Reischman. He and the Jay Birds played here about 10 years ago and since I was photographer for the Independent Record, I told my editor I needed to get some photos of them at rehearsal. The whole band was great to work with, especially John. I had brought my Weber Cedar topped Gallatin with me hoping to get John to sign the case, he did. He also let me play his Loar after he played mine. I love his style of playing and hope one day I might get maybe 1% of his tone. I will also give a big shout out to my friend Bruce Weber, who started me on this crazy journey,

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George R. Lane For This Useful Post:

I'm in a strange place on this one, because I'm only playing Irish/Scottish/Cape Breton traditional music these days. All my heroes are now famous fiddlers, pipers, flute players. No same-instrument heroes, like the many I used to have through 35 years as a guitar player.

There are individual artists playing mandolin in trad whose work I respect. But none that I would say have as much prominence, or frankly as much to learn from, as the players of the older and more established instruments. Maybe because as mandolin players, we're all still trying to figure out how we fit into this music... making it up as we go along.

10. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Blog Entries

For me, most likely Thile, Dawg, and Statman.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

===========

I am proud to say that my mandolin hero later became my friend . . . Bill Bolick of the Blue Sky Boys.

I think Chris Thile might be the "Paganini" of the mandolin world - in terms of technical brilliance I haven't heard anyone who even comes close … Evan Marshall, perhaps. I like Baldassari because to me, he plays like what a mandolin should sound like. To paraphrase Sir Thomas Beecham's observation on gentlemen and bagpipes, Baldassari can play too many notes, but he doesn't.

This is interesting - the ranking is totally-wholly-wildly subjective:

http://www.ranker.com/list/greatest-...e/ranker-music

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billkilpatrick For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    I am proud to say that my mandolin hero later became my friend . . . Bill Bolick of the Blue Sky Boys.
    Wow! I like his playing a lot.

Bush, Steffy, Reischman
    Mike Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    For me, most likely Thile, Dawg, and Statman.

Jamie
    Mine too.
    The dawg and the staat really made me see a new way.
    Thile too.

All so musically open and fresh.

Blog Entries

Don Stiernberg as musician, jazz player, mandolin player, entertainer, and a real mensch, from whom I have learned much in all those areas.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Dave Peters ...... I will never touch his level of speed , clarity, tone and taste. And the other twenty master level musicians I listen to that play the mandolin between J.B. and C.T. .... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

20. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Blog Entries

Grisman grabbed my attention and got me interested in the mandolin in the first place. Then Ronnie McCoury and Ricky Skaggs for their sheer bluegrass soul and intensity. John Reischman set me on the proper path in a couple workshops I took with him. He's not only a master mandolinist but a real mensch as well.

Sierra Hull also kicks ass.
    '95 Gibson F-5V
    2017 Collings MF5
    2017 Martin OOO-28
    2002 Martin D-18GE

I got introduced to Bill Monroe's music by listening to David Grisman. I have many mandolin heros, but the top dog is Dawg!
    Mike Bloder
    Hogan F-5
    Northfield NF-F5S

Hero worship is sad and unhealthy in my not-so-humble opinion. I make one exception, my daughter - and she doesn't play mandolin.

24. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Ron,
    I admire JR for his style of playing, not hero worship. My hero is my wife, not only does she take care of me, but my grand daughter and great grand daughter along with running our company and holding down 2 part-time jobs (she works from our home). She also helps me with our farm. Now that my friends is a great woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    Don Stiernberg as musician, jazz player, mandolin player, entertainer, and a real mensch, from whom I have learned much in all those areas.
    Hear, hear.

I'd have to say my wife; she's the one who piqued my interest in the mandolin.

Tim O Brien, Grisman on the Trio recordings.

My Dad played, any string instrument but banjo mostly. I loved him and his music and went with him any time I could. I guess he was my real hero, but my mandolin hero was a man no one has heard of because he didn't play professionally but he had professional ability. His name was Jimmy Tabor and he played a style all his own, the closet I've ever heard to him was Zeak Morris of the Morris, not old time, not bluegrass, not jazz just Tabor style.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    My Dad played, any string instrument but banjo mostly. I loved him and his music and went with him any time I could. I guess he was my real hero, but my mandolin hero was a man no one has heard of because he didn't play professionally but he had professional ability. His name was Jimmy Tabor and he played a style all his own, the closet I've ever heard to him was Zeak Morris of the Morris, not old time, not bluegrass, not jazz just Tabor style.
    Nice …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_0Lgip9Lt4

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    I like Baldassari because to me, he plays like what a mandolin should sound like. To paraphrase Sir Thomas Beecham's observation on gentlemen and bagpipes, Baldassari can play too many notes, but he doesn't.
    Butch was indeed a wonderful musician and a nice guy. I had quite a few email conversations with him and finally met him at CMSA in 2004. He will always be missed but he did leave a legacy of wonderful music.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

32. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: