Thread: Eastman MD514?

===========

Default Eastman MD514?

I'll keep it simple -

I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on an Eastman MD514.
    - Internet purchase, 45 day approval.
    - $800. No case (I have an extra hardshell).
    - I greatly prefer F-style bodies, and like the old-time oval hole sound.
    - Have never had to opportunity to play an Eastman, but I have seen a couple of videos of MD514's and the tone sounds great - albeit through my little 2" laptop speaker.
    - I can do my own BASIC setup work.

Thoughts, comments, help?

Default Re: Eastman MD514?

The only thing that might work against it is that older Eastmans are often said to be lesser instruments than the more recent models. At that, relatively low, price it might be from an earlier period, but with 45 days in which to make up your mind and return it if necessary, what have you got to lose?

Mike - Go for it! Only thing that would make me hesitate is the sound of the oval-hole - everything sounds the same. I loved the F4 I owned - right up until the time I didn't. In general, the F5 seems to have a much broader tonal horizon ... imvery, veryho.

Is that $800 used? Should be $1000 new. Comments on tone quality and range seem accurate re oval and this model in general. But many very happy with them. Have sold a bunch over the years.
    Stephen Perry

===========

From what I was able to gather from the serial number, the mandolin dates from 2011 . . . is that considered an 'older/lesser' mandolin, or does it fit in with the 'newer' quality?

I am a fan of the F2 style of mandolin so I appreciate you interest. I have played a few Eastman oval hole instruments including a 514 and found their tone to be a little thin. A well made mandolin with nice finish.

I love my Eastmans! I have a md515 and md815v. Both are solid instruments. Out of all the imports (only mandolins I could afford and buy new) I liked the Eadtman line up the best. IMHO, I find them to be more consistent mandolin to mandolin than the other imports I've played, barring the Kentucky line up which I've never played but they get awesome reviews. Like some other mandolins, they take some playing time to open up, but I find them to be a really good quality instrument. I did have Steve Smith at Cumberland Accoustics fit a new CA bridge to both of mine, and found my 815 to like ghs silk/bronze strings.

8. The following members say thank you to Payton for this post:

I had a 514......I sold it....I was STUPID.....I want it back

Back when Eastman mandolins were hitting the states Steve Perry sold me a 615V sunburst #40. Guess that was 03 or 04. Seems like an eternity. It was a great mandolin after it was setup properly. It had a nice strong womp to it. I wouldn't worry too much about getting an older Eastman. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

I have 2 Eastmans.....A Bowlback and a 514. I've never regretted buying either one.
    I've had the 514 for 10 years. The only changes that have been done to it is that I use TI medium strings on it. Love the way it sounds with those.
    1919 Gibson A3
    1920 Gibson A2
    1937 Gibson K1 Mandocello
    2015 Eastman Bowlback

Concerning the quality of Eastman mandolins. We have a very high end guitar shop that carries numerous other stringed instruments as well, in a city just South of my home town in North Texas. When I say high end I mean the brands that most of the folks in my tax bracket can't afford. It's called the Gitar Santuary, and folks fly into DFW from all around to shop there frequently. At one point all of their mandolins were Gibson, Collings, etc...., and mostly the higher end of those makes. Their luthier is an accomplished mandolin player, so I took both my mandolins in for a look over, and a fine tune up if needed. I left them there and when I picked them up a couple of days later he said that several of the guys that worked there played them. After complementing them I paid a very fair fee and left. I was on their site looking into a looper pedal the other day and notice they're now carrying several models of Eastman Mandolins. For me that's a great reassurance I'm playing a quality instrument. They not Gibsons or Collings and never will be. They're just a solid instrument that can hold there on with like imports and affordable by many who can't afford our dream axes.

Hand made instruments - everyone is unique so it is difficult to generalise (not as consistent as some makes I have found). I love my 2011 504

14. The following members say thank you to James Rankine for this post:

I love my Eastman MD515. Great sound and fun to play.
    2016 Eastman MD515-CS

Eastman mandolins are good quality.

I'm loving my MD404. I don't think I'll ever be able to sell it as it just has the tone and feel I dig!
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

I had a 504 from 2007 and a 604 from about 2009. Both wer very good. The 504 was better from a tone perspective in my estimation. I have also owned a Kentucky 272 and a Big Muddy. That 504 was better. Good playability as well.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Not a 514, but I have a 504 and I love it. So much so, that I really don't see myself getting rid of it. The slender neck and radius is perfect for me, and the sound to my ears is pleasingly full. I upgraded to a CA bridge and recently put a McClung armrest on it. Wonderful.

If you can give the 514 a go with option to return if you change your mind...I'd say give it a go