Thread: Music Emporium videos

Default Music Emporium videos

No I don't have MAS not at all, but I will be in the Boston area in about a month and hope to check some of these out. Hey, it might not be Nashville, but I think they've got some selection going on right now. And not bad videos. No I don't have MAS not even a little bit. Oh, and price is no object unless you are buying... NFI.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Upis Land For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Music Emporium videos

The first step on curing an affliction is admitting you have it, as in hello my name is Tom and I'm an alcoholic.

I work about 10 minutes away. Somehow I'm still financially solvent and on track to retire on time. I've purchased 4 instruments from TME over the years, and still own 3 of them. Awesome shop, great staff. See something you like, just grab it and start picking. They have this easy policy even after two very expensive mandolins (a Monteleone and an old Gibson, worth about $40K combined) grew legs and walked out of the shop a few years back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    The first step on curing an affliction is admitting you have it, as in hello my name is Tom and I'm an alcoholic.
    Hey I like that! These guys are great to buy from, I bought an old F-7 from em years ago and it was a consignment deal and they went above and beyond to make a deal happen between the owner and myself! Great people, and man do they have the selection, not bad prices either and great sounding instruments, well it doesn't help when the kid/young guy doing the demos knows how to work em! Well there's my plug for the Emporium,NFI although I wished I lived closer to try out all them great horns!

I though it was an Ellis F5 and a Gibson F5 from the 80's that grew feet and disappeared, if you are talking about maybe three years back. This happens at shops no matter how good the security. Lark Street lost two very expensive Les Pauls that seemed to literally disappear out of the store a few years back.

What you will see now at TME is that the more expensive stuff is kept in the back. You ask, and they bring them out.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I bought my Northfield from them. Definitely a good place to get some unhurried time to investigate a nice selection of instruments. But I have to say they are much harder to deal with when it comes to getting setup work done. I needed a simple bridge adjustment done and they would not make a fixed appointment or commit to turn it around while i waited. 15 minutes of work. So I went another way.
    Craig Mandola
    Mann SEM-5

I was relying on my faulty memory, but a quick google search reveals that it was an Ellis that grew legs. Sorry, I stand corrected Mandobar.

Edit: Speaking of faulty memory. Am I losing my mind or did the look and feel of this site just change in the past 5 minutes?

Those vids were a great compliment to my morning brew. Yup that Ellis is sweet. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

They certainly have an awesome collection of mandolins right now. I have a hard time deciding which is sweeter, the new Ellis and the new Italian-topped Collings.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Great selection usually but lots of top notch mandolin now. the have the best pictures in the business. It is great to be able to go through the videos and get an idea of sound comparisons since we have do not have a shop like this for a long way.

Videos like this are helpful as long as you know these same mandolins likely will not sound the same in your hands. The best comparsion is when the same guy has the same mic/video set up for comparison. Not the case here. If you do suffer from MAS you will know within 30 seconds if it was meant to be or not.

13. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Last time I walked into the ME I had my "no-name" c. 1860's guitar with me (on the way to a historical songs program, probably at NEFFA). and Stu Cohen spent quite some time examining it and offering theories on who made it and when. No definitive answer. Then I walked out with a c. 1900 Zimmermann Style 6 Autoharp, the one with all the shifters that makes 15 chords with only six bars.

Great store. I've dipped into it now and then since it was in Cambridge/Somerville, still on Mass Ave. Watch it -- your money or credit card can burn a hole right in your pocket...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

By sound alone I rated them Ellis, Dude, Apitius. Being a confirmed Ellis lover, that comes as no surprise. That tone just speaks to me. Found the Dude right at the same level, just a different approach. Would love that for Celtic more than grass. Has a really clear, but full tone. This is my first time hearing an Apitius and was very impressed. There were no weak links in that group.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I know it takes time to set up the video and share it but I like ME because they find time to do it. I've really enjoyed their website and the ability to listen to someone vastly more qualified than I playing these fine instruments.

I got my MTO from them last year and they were awesome to deal with, they always have such awesome photos of their instruments as well!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I would take that Ellis anyday.
    I am a sucker for the Ellis tone and look.

I love the sound of that Dudenbostel, but I am not fond of the light natural color mandos.
    I prefer the traditional darker sunburst.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

It'd be nice if they posted the names of the tunes. I recognize a lot of them, but it'd be fun to learn some of them.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

For me, of the ones currently in stock, the consigned Heiden black top F5 takes the cake:

It was for sale a few weeks ago in the classifieds here. The owner really goes through some great mandos. Hope she finds what she's lookin' for!

21. The following members say thank you to Doug Freeman for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Freeman View Post
    For me, of the ones currently in stock, the consigned Heiden black top F5 takes the cake:!
    Yeah, that one has an amazing tone.
    I there is a lot of depth, life, and richness to the tone.
    Amazing instrument.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

I really need to get up there one of these days. Love my mandolins, but would be great to see how the really good ones play and sound.