Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pro Plec 1.5mm

Default Re: Pro Plec 1.5mm

Proplecs are the best picks for the money. Bluechips and some others are even better, but they're not cheap. Proplec is my go-to pick for electric. On acoustic, it's my backup after Bluechip, Redbear and Wegen.

I put a bevel on one of the edges of the Pro Plec and slightly dressed the other tips on a sharpening stone and like it better.

For 10 years or so I fiddled around (plucked around?) with every pick known to MANdolin. Finally settled firmly on the fence between the D'Andrea Pro Plec 346 1.5mm and the Dunlop Tortex Triangle 1.14mm (the purple one). After about 2 years of going back-and-forth-back-and-forth between them, sometimes daily, I finally sprung for a Blue Chip. My pick search is over...all I ever use now or ever intend to use is the Blue Chip. BUT...I can't afford to keep Blue Chips in every pocket or lying all about the house, so the Pro Plec and Tortex picks are my backups now. It's funny though how much easier it is to keep track of an expensive pick...fear of losing it not so funny. So my take on the Pro Plec is 100% positive...love 'em.

Same material as the Dawg pick. If you want a Dawg with more "bite", use the Pro-Plec.

I had started a thread a few months back about the Pro-Plec. I got one from Dale Ludewig and it was great so I ordered a bag of them. the ones I got were noticeably thicker and sounded very muted. Their tolerance on thickness seems to drift. I've since moved to the 1.5 Primetone picks. They are consistent and sound good. Maybe not always the best for everything, but the best all-around pick I've used. I have not used a BC yet. I'd be worried about losing it. Too expensive for a pick that will probably get lost on a tour.
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber 2017 Bitterroot A20-F Octave Mandolin
    Crump BIII Irish Bouzouki
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MDC805 Mandocello
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com

My favorite picks. I like them more when i start wearing in my own bevel.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Anderson View Post
    It's funny though how much easier it is to keep track of an expensive pick....
    Seems to work that way.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

The Pro-Plec was the first pick I tried when I got my mandolin. I got them from JazzMondo. I have been using the Dunlop Primetone 1.5 lately and I really like the tone and feel of these picks. I have not tried any of the more expensive choices yet. I agree that the Pro-Plec has a warmer, more muted tone.
    Kentucky KM-150

Funny how different perceptions are of one pick. I've spent the last hour + practicing and noodling, switching around between a BC TAD 60 3R, ProPlec, Primetone 1.4 (dk brown, sharper corners) and a Primetone 1.3 (dk brown, very round corners).

BC wins overall, but the ProPlec was a solid second place for me. Compared to these two, both of the Primetones seemed bit shrill, somewhat lacking in low end. Of the two, I prefer the rounded profile of the 1.3.

Also, to me, the ProPlec didn't seem any quieter or more muted, but I could see where the high "bright" sound of the Primetones might seem louder or more cutting. Tonally, the PP is much more my cup of tea.
    Mitch Russell

Loved mine until I got Wegen 140s for Christmas one year, hen moved up to Blue Chip after another Christmas gift 3-4 years later from my wonderful wife. Have tried Primetones (like them), golden gates (can't stand them), and periodically pull out the Pro Plec just to see, but always go back to the chips...
    Chuck

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by onassis View Post
    Funny how different perceptions are of one pick.
    Perceptions always differ. I bet it also has to do with the mandolin and the strings on which the pick is used.