Thread: Question about EM2000

Default Question about EM2000

I've been using EM6000 as a top coat and I'm not satisfied with the blue haze effect in the dark areas. I have been using EM1000 as a carrier for my dyes and I would like to know from those of you that are using 2000 how are you coloring your instruments. Would 1000 work with the 2000 or is shellac or another product advisable?

Thanks all ---Gary

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Default Re: Question about EM2000

I use water based analine dyes, hand rubbed. It needs to be sealed or else will run with the water based EM2000 and go blotchy so I put on 3 coats of shellac before the EM2000 to seal the stain in. Don't know anything about EM1000, never used it.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

Thanks Peter for the reply. I've tried doing hand rubbed using alcohol based aniline dyes. I really didn't like what I was getting. It would take alot more practice on my part. It was good to hear that the shellac worked well under the 2000. Your instruments on your website look great and you've extolled the virtues of EM2000 so rather than use an oil varnish I'll follow your lead.

I had left a question on Targets "luthiers forum" and it sat unanswered for 5 weeks. I phoned Target to see if I could get any answers to my question. I still have a half gallon of 1000. I received a call back later and was reassured that EM1000 would be compatible.

I've tried several finish combinations, some with great regret, since I began this journey and I'd rather appear over cautious than sorry.

Thanks again for the reply ---Gary

Hi Gary, Sorry I haven't checked the Target forum. I've been working extensively with EM2000 following problems with KTM-SV. I color by using TransTint dyes in water and an Iwata air brush. Since there are areas I want to color more deeply (almost opaque) and areas in the recurve that take dyes unevenly, I touch up the water dyes with TransTint mixed in Target's waterborne shellac in a high concentration again with the Iwata. After that cures, usually the next day, I spray two sealer coats of the Target shellac without dye. And the next day, six coats of EM2000 about an hour apart. The day after, I level sand and do two more coats of EM2000. No bluish haze! Do not use regular shellac with EM2000. I have on my "to-do" list to write full instructions, and if you motivate me, I'll get to it.
    Rolfe Gerhardt

Hi Rolfe, Thanks for checking in on this. Am I correct in assuming you're applying diluted color directly to the wood? I've been using 1000 and mixing aniline dyes in water then combining them and then shoot using an Iwata. In the past I have tried raising the grain multiple times and the effects were still too variable for me. Using 1000 settles the issue.

Jeff from Target on the forums, if I remember correctly has said that there would be no problems with regular dewaxed shellac as a sealer under Target products. "Do not use regular shellac with EM2000." It sounds as though you may have a different experience. Would you care to elaborate please?

I appreciate your input on this. I'm looking forward to using 2000 on my latest build.
    And it would be very interesting to see a full set of instructions. There are probably a number of people that would like to ditch the nitro for something that's a bit more tolerable.

---Gary

Mandolin & Mandola maker

I have always used dewaxed shellac and have never had any problems.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

Digging up an old thread here. First, for all of you who have answered questions about em2000 already thank you! Are any of you using the cl100 Crosslink additive? Or just em2000 straight. Anyone out there using something other than gloss?