Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Seagull S8 Mandolin

Default Re: Seagull S8 Mandolin

Yes ,your correct in saying that. I was referring to the s8 mandolins only. Sorry i wasnt specific as to what mandolin i was talking about. I have played 25 or so of these s8 mandolins and the ones that impress me the most is the tight grains. The ones that were not so tight just didnt seem to have that edge, but still had a quality sound.

Yes ,your correct in saying that. I was referring to the s8 mandolins only. Sorry i wasnt specific as to what mandolin i was talking about. I have played 25 or so of these s8 mandolins and the ones that impress me the most is the tight grains. The ones that were not so tight just didnt seem to have that edge.

Having fought with it for almost three months now, I'm thinking the Seagull mando is a bit more rugged than it needs to be. I find myself fretting it like I'm driving nails to get a decent sound out of it. The action is not high, it's quite comfortable actually, so that's not the issue. I also thought I'd enjoy the wide neck more than I do. My wide-neck Breedlove Crossover is a joy to play, but the Seagull still feels weird. Maybe it's the flat fretboard which doesn't work together well with its width.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Watch for it in the Classifieds
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I think your theory is pretty good. I also struggled for a short while but its passed. I found that if you don t have your finger, almost, dead center between the frets that, well we all know what happens then. My hands are bigger than most and that probably was apart of the issue that i overcame. One thing this Seagull s-8 has taught me is to be more accurate of a player when it comes to playing other styles of mandolins, as far as nailing the finger tip on center for proper sound. Heck it has improved more than just playing a mandolin, its helped with several of the stringed instruments i play, as far as accuracy goes.

Haven't decided if I'm going to cut it loose yet or not. There's a lot that's good about the S8. I may get adjusted to it. I think a radiused fretboard would really make a difference though. Maybe we'll get one in the next iteration.

I have noticed that some people are advertising these mandolins as a "maple neck through a laminate maple body". This is not really a true statement to me. When people hear the word "laminate" they tend to think of veneers and such. This s8 mandolin is a neck through for sure but it passes through two solid blocks of maple that has been routed or carved. The sides were probably set to the neck part before the carving was done. Then of coarse the high quality solid spruce top to cap it off.
    This mandolin is made from the finest woods that Canada can offer and some of the best craftsmanship the county has to offer. That is the reason why i had purchased 3 of these beauties, after playing 70-80 different mandolins across Southern Ontario.
    Hats off to the Godin family for producing such a fine product. Hope the put out a octave version of this beauty in the near future.

I think we have Robert Godin here!

9. The following members say thank you to Petrus for this post:

Lol. No i am just a freak for something that sounds good and built well. If i were him i would have a octave version of this already.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

An octave version sounds great can you make it 20" scale length
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Post Re: Seagull S8 Mandolin

Well i took my Seagull mandolin to a new years jam party in which no one there has heard it yet . All the players were very impressed on its resonance and sound. I had played it unplugged and didn t even mic it and everyone could here it fine until the electrics started in. I come from the county that Rick Danko came from and some are quite picky when it comes to quality sound and such. They asked me where my big name mandolins are and i told them 'sold and put in a closet for the remainder of there lives, my life anyway, LOL. Of coarse i won t closet them, sold some yes. I still need top name mandolins to satisfy those fat heads that won t play with ya or even talk to ya at some of those bluegrass festivals and jams. Maybe i just might bring one to one such jam and change someones attitude ,if they give it a listen. Best to everyone in the new year.

Just bought my 2ed mandolin in 3 months. The other is a Gretsch NewYorker Supreme Mahogany Natural. The new one is the Seagull S8 Spruce/Maple Natural. Pretty nice especially for a new mandolin player. Much easier to play than the NewYorker: wider nut, lighter strings and way cheaper. Can't understand the American prices ppl are posting here. I paid 329CDN which is about 232US!
    The Burnt Umber model is $50 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    Having fought with it for almost three months now, I'm thinking the Seagull mando is a bit more rugged than it needs to be. I find myself fretting it like I'm driving nails to get a decent sound out of it. The action is not high, it's quite comfortable actually, so that's not the issue. I also thought I'd enjoy the wide neck more than I do. My wide-neck Breedlove Crossover is a joy to play, but the Seagull still feels weird. Maybe it's the flat fretboard which doesn't work together well with its width.
    My experience is the opposite. I found with the Gretsch "fretting it like I'm driving nails to get a decent sound out of it." is a very accurate description. With the seagull wider nut and lighter string I found my self able to fret chords that hurt me on Gretsch.

Same problem on my Gretsch..

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    I think we have Robert Godin here!
    Robert has been only a spokesperson for the company for last few years. I suppose it is run by Mario, Simon and Patrick now.

I gotta say the current S8 pricing I'm seeing on American guitar store sites is ridiculous. I paid less in CDN funds than the lowest prices marked in us funds!@t $1USD = 1.44CDN~~~

Once the US price snafus are worked out, you should be able to get an S8 Natural for WELL UNDER $250usd. I paid $329cdn (=$232usd!)

Musician's Fried Floored me.. they wanted $617CDN for the S8!!!

I was happy to get my burnt umber S8 for $349 new, which is about the most you should pay. Heck, it was more than my Breedlove Crossover ($259.). The wood is beautiful and it has a great smell. I'm forcing myself to get used to it, now that I sold my Eastman. I do keep it slightly detuned (FCGD, etc.) as that seems to make it easier to fret and bend. I actually do this to most of my mandolins.

$349 usd is too much 232+35(burnt umber premium)= 267usd
    Seagull S6 Cedar (1998)
    Seagull Amber Trail CW Mini-Jumbo (2013, because rosette is decal, not inlay)
    Seagull Coastline Cedar 12 (2015)
    Ibanez Artwood Parlour 2 AVN3-NT (2015)
    Martin GPCPA5K Stika Spruce/Koa HDL/Birch Statabond (2015)
    Gretsch Mahogany Boxcar Round-Neck Resonator (2015)
    Gretsch Mahogany New Yorker Supreme Mandolin (2015)
    Fender FB-54 Mahogany Resonator 5-String Banjo (2015)
    Seagull S8 Mandolin Natural (2016)
    Alvarez ABT60 Baritone (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by old cut rick View Post
    I have noticed that some people are advertising these mandolins as a "maple neck through a laminate maple body". This is not really a true statement to me. When people hear the word "laminate" they tend to think of veneers and such. This s8 mandolin is a neck through for sure but it passes through two solid blocks of maple that has been routed or carved. The sides were probably set to the neck part before the carving was done. Then of coarse the high quality solid spruce top to cap it off.
    This mandolin is made from the finest woods that Canada can offer and some of the best craftsmanship the county has to offer. That is the reason why i had purchased 3 of these beauties, after playing 70-80 different mandolins across Southern Ontario.
    Hats off to the Godin family for producing such a fine product. Hope the put out a octave version of this beauty in the near future.
    Yes a lot of misinformation out there.
    My understanding is the neck and the middle of the back is one carved & routed piece, joined to two carved wing pieces.
    butt-joining blocks of wood is not a "laminate". One does not call 3-piece glued neck,heel,headstock neck a laminate.

Someone mentioned wider neck..not really ...although the NUT is wider than say Gretsch New Yorker, the string spacing spread going up the neck is a lot narrower on the S8. Something like 1.23" for Gretsch and 1.19" for S8, 1st-8th@12 fret

I will try to post some interior pic with my inspection camera, if i can get it in without removing strings.
    Seagull S6 Cedar (1998)

I pickup a arch-topped hard shell mandolin case that is much smaller and thinner than the one I have for the Gretsch. It still needs padding, but it does fit the S8 much better. Unfortunately it is a store chain case, brand unknown. Also over-priced at 86$, but dealer gave me 40% off, cause I bought 3 other cases in last few months. I need to add an under body pad and side pad and Logo; pics will follow.
    Seagull S6 Cedar (1998)

I don't understand why but I am really finding this mandolin more and more appealing all the time. I need to ask the guys downstairs to bring one in
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Well an S8 is on it's way in downstairs... They had a merlin in the store... I had to order in something else and asked them to bring one in. They know I will probably buy it anyway lol
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Modding a hardshell case to fit S8
    http://www.acousticguitarcommunity.c...hardshell-case
    Seagull S6 Cedar (1998)

I played two of these today at a local guitar shop (Harry's), They were a bit bright sounding but easy to play and had plenty of volume. My thoughts were that it would make a good camping or beach mandolin. Price was about $430.oo
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    I played two of these today at a local guitar shop (Harry's), They were a bit bright sounding but easy to play and had plenty of volume. My thoughts were that it would make a good camping or beach mandolin. Price was about $430.oo
    Why are some American dealers doubling the price?!!!
    American price should be under $250 for the natural and just under $300 for the Burnt Amber. Street price for the natural in Canada is around $330cdn!! eg http://www.theguitarshop.ca/seagull-...dolin-natural/
    Remember, I paid $329 CANADIAN for mine last week! (that's 242$ USD)
    Seagull S6 Cedar (1998)