Thread: trying to identify this banjo

Default trying to identify this banjo

I know this is a mando hang out but I saw some info on banjos and thought I would take a shot. My friend has a vega "Little Wonder" tenor banjo(well 4 strings and 19 frets. the serial number is 93516. I can't figure out when it was made or what it is worth. His Dad wants to sell it. I think he has had it for a long time, Anyway, I took the back off and got the serial number. I have to say it is in outstanding condition. The wood on the back has a really neat design in it and the neck seems to almost be like a sunburst. If this is the place to ask, I can take some pics and show it. If not, tell me where to go

Default Re: trying to identify this banjo

There are several multi-instrumentalist on this site that play banjo as well as mandolin so you might get the information you are looking for here. Having said that I am going to suggest you check out Banjo Hangout. It is banjocentric.
    Bill Snyder

Vega serial numbers are here (whitetreeaz) or here on Mugwumps.com.

Looks like a good guess for date would be around 1930. Little Wonders were the simple banjos made by Vega with a simple brass tone ring. Post some pics.

You could do a search for similar ones for sale at stores and auctions but remember those are generally asking prices. I would guess that in excellent condition somewhere in the vicinity of $400-500.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

gotcha. I will post some pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Banjo 1.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	127179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	banjo 3.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	127180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	banjo 2.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	127181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	banjo 4.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	127182

Please share with anyone you thin would know about value etc.. I may go to the banjo hangout and post a link to this thread there. again, serial number 93516 . I don' think this banjo has ever been played much at all.

Have you taken the resonator off? Vega instruments often had model numbers etc. stamped into the dowel stick (which runs from neck to tailpiece, inside the shell). There might also be a label inside.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I put the serial number in the first post...that is where I got it from 93516

Quote Originally Posted by markwillplay View Post
    I put the serial number in the first post...that is where I got it from 93516
    Yeah, but that doesn't give the model designation. I'm not enough of a banjo maven to tell what model Vega you have just by looking at it. Vega banjos came in a variety of models, with different tone rings (or lack thereof), and the value of this one would be influenced by what model it was.

The "1930" date seems to agree with the "sunburst" finish on the resonator, headstock and neck, and the somewhat "Deco" ornamentation on the back of the resonator. I've never seen that particular "look" on a Vega, so if there's additional information stamped into the dowel stick, or a glued-on label inside the shell, it would help in assigning a value to the banjo.

If the only information located inside was the serial number, I would agree with posting the info on a banjo website, where you have a better chance of finding a Vega banjo expert.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM