Thread: Does it exist?

Default Does it exist?

Wondering if anyone makes a strap or cover for a conventional hardshell mandolin case that will allow you to carry it over your shoulder. Anybody seen one?

Default Re: Does it exist?

I use a tennis racket bag designed to hold three rackets. Mine's a Prince brand. Some are too short, depending on your case length, but they all have shoulder straps. Around thirty bucks, I think I gave. Cheezy zipper but cheap enough. Big Dog and Colorado Case both make really nice case covers in cordura with nicer zippers but cost more.
    Mike Snyder

There's a brand called Small Dog. No experience with them myself, but quite a few forum members seem to use them.
    Mitch Russell

By coventional mandolin case, you likely mean the shaped case, with a handle in the middle. I have extra case straps that came with Calton cases over the years. Suppose it could be clipped to the brackets holding the handle, or something. Send me an address and I'll pop one in mail, if you want one.

Destroyer of Mandolins

The strap part is fairly easy. All you really need is a luggage strap from an old suitcase. A trip to the thrift shop or the Salvation Army will get you a ton of those cheaply. The harder part is attaching it to the case. You need a pair of D-rings. They can often be found in a hardware or craft store or sometimes they can be salvaged from the same suitcase the strap came from. They can attach to the case by small nuts and bolts. Rivets are even better. It's not too hard, but you have to be handy with tools and work carefully. I did it several years ago and a lot of guys here have tackled the job. I wish they'd just put D-rings on the case at the factory. It would be easy to do it then and they could even get a little more profit.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Blog Entries

2nd the small dog!, Great case cover, with shoulder strap and large pocket that zips up for sheet music or ?, Don't remember what they cost as Ibought one at Grey Fox many many moons ago!

Small Dog was its own separate entity early on, created by Jim Rohrer, then folded into Cavallaro Case Company (think the name is right) and now is within the Colorado Case Company. Small Dog case covers are excellent and I think have built in rings to hold strap connectors. I had one built for a Guardian shaped case and had it customized so that the zippered pocket is oriented up-down when the case is standing on bottom edge.

8. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim2723 View Post
    The strap part is fairly easy. All you really need is a luggage strap from an old suitcase. A trip to the thrift shop or the Salvation Army will get you a ton of those cheaply. The harder part is attaching it to the case. You need a pair of D-rings. They can often be found in a hardware or craft store or sometimes they can be salvaged from the same suitcase the strap came from. They can attach to the case by small nuts and bolts. Rivets are even better. It's not too hard, but you have to be handy with tools and work carefully. I did it several years ago and a lot of guys here have tackled the job. I wish they'd just put D-rings on the case at the factory. It would be easy to do it then and they could even get a little more profit.
    Even easier than that, I put split rings (keyrings) on the hardware that holds the handle, one on each side, and attach the strap to one ring, wrap it around the case and attach the other end to to the other. Fits right over my shoulder. All my cases have a strap attached like this, or at least have the split rings in place for quick strap attachment. Works great.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deadend3 View Post
    Wondering if anyone makes a strap or cover for a conventional hardshell mandolin case that will allow you to carry it over your shoulder. Anybody seen one?
    I have one on my Calton case. I was lucky to get that though - came with the mando when I got it, and they didn't charge me!!!
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    I use a tennis racket bag designed to hold three rackets. Mine's a Prince brand. Some are too short, depending on your case length, but they all have shoulder straps. Around thirty bucks, I think I gave. Cheezy zipper but cheap enough. Big Dog and Colorado Case both make really nice case covers in cordura with nicer zippers but cost more.
    I also use a triple tennis racquet bag, thanks to a previous discussion on the forum. Mine is an Adidas, also about $30 a couple of years ago. It can easily hold my A mandolin hard case, not sure about F mandolins although the shape looks right. Advantage of these (sorry for the tennis pun) over some "real" mandolin covers, besides the price difference, is the big outer pocket meant for clothing, tennis balls, etc., plus there is some empty space inside after I put in the case. With these two extra spaces, I can fit in lots of sheet music books, even a folding music stand. It also is a nice raincoat for my instrument. Plus my hope is that instrument thieves might overlook a tennis bag....
    Gerry and "Team GDAE"
    Assorted mandolins and their GDAE-tuned relatives

Quote Originally Posted by mandogerry View Post
    Plus my hope is that instrument thieves might overlook a tennis bag....
    Unless they want to steal your tennis racquet!

I tried the tennis bag thing with a Head brand bag and it was too small. Maybe we should make a list of racket bags that do work.
    Of course there's the inevitable questions from tennis players: "what kind of racket ya got in there?" "A pretty terrible one"

By far the very best case for carrying on your shoulder,or even like a back pack,that i've found,is the Travelite. You can use one strap to carry it over one shoulder,or both straps & use it like a back pack. Carrying it like that almost makes the weight disappear
    completely. I know the OP was enquiring about a strap / case cover,but if using a strap is of real concern,then a Travelite case could be the best answer,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trav.1 (3)..JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	309.0 KB 
ID:	113852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Travelite 1 (Large)..JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	113853
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Gator GL Lightweight Mandolin Case - American Musical Supply
    www.americanmusical.com › ... › Brand › Gator › Gator Cases
    Easy Payments, Fastest Shipping, Best Customer Service and Free Extended Warranty on Gator GL Lightweight Mandolin Case. AmericanMusical.com makes it ...

Mine has two backpack straps. A very nice case for $69.99 on this site.
    Grady F5 (#65)
    Harmony A Model ("The Scorcher")

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. I WILL learn to play this thing !(adapted from Coolidge)

Thanks all. A lot of great info here. Since I am not looking to replace my current case and my need is temporary I think I am going try the tennis racquet bag. I'll let you know if it works.

modest sewing job ..2 straps around the narrowest and widest part of the case,
    and a sling under the case edge to keep it from slipping out .. sewn to the widest one.

then shoulder straps join the 2 girth bands ..

some were manufactured for guitar cases , they work with mandolin cases too .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture