Thread: International shipping?

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default International shipping?

Sorry to lure you here for a thread that is not specifically mandolin related, but I'm hoping someone can help.

I've sent many of the hardwood penny whistles that I make overseas and have never had much trouble with using the USPS Priority International service. Recently though I've had two of them go missing and the Postal Service tells me that once the package enters the hands of the destination country's mail service, they can no longer track it nor insure it.

I've estimated shipping via UPS and FedEx which does allow tracking and insurance door to door, but the costs are nearly half of the $250 cost of the whistle.

Anyone here have ideas for good, reasonably priced and safe alternative shipping?

We're talking about a box around 8x5x2", less than 8 oz in weight.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Default Re: International shipping?

I use USPS and have had very good experience. More recently I started scanning the bar code on the customs form using my USPS iPhone app. It as least shows the package reaching the customs facility and indicates a delivery.
    At least I have something for my buyer to work with.

garded

Default Re: International shipping?

I've also used USPS exclusively. And in all my years only lost one package(knock on wooden head).

I got a tip from one of the tellers at the PO and started using Stamps.com. I save a little on my shipping and it's easier for me to track and automatically sends the buyer notice and tracking #.

True, it doesn't tell you beyond customs whether it got there or not, but I've talked to others who quit using UPS because it said it was delivered and wasn't. I would think that you could purchase insurance with USPS for less than what standard UPS would want to ship without insurance.

I'm very sorry you had some orders disappear.