Search:

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: My Greatest Regret

Interesting, I hadn't heard of this particular tuning before. What are its benefits / disadvantages? I have commonly tuned down my mandos in the past (CGDA usually) to reduce tension and get a lower...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: The beginnings of MAS - What's next?

Hard to go wrong with any of the above, quality-wise, but as you mention being a guitar player you might fancy a guitar-bodied style

I happened to run across this page of guitar-body octaves by...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Carvin Double-neck electric Bass/Mandolin

Could be, or that in combination with an inadvertently misattributed mandola (17"/14" = about 21% longer than a mandolin) would bring the two closer together in size (a design feature that might've...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Speed of bluegrass... is it just me?

I don't see what the debate is, it's all a matter of taste and mood. I have pieces/songs in my mp3 collection all across the tempo and mood spectrum. All depends on what mood I'm in at a given time....
  5. Thread: RIP Tony Rice

by Petrus
    Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Tony Rice

Mark O'Connor wrote a nice tribute for him in a FB post the other day ... excerpt:
  6. Re: Is the electric guitar dying, taking Gibson and others with i

Cross-platform branding synergy, leveraging proven assets into high-growth opportunity segments to exploit innovative resources, optimizing shareholder value.
  7. Re: Is the electric guitar dying, taking Gibson and others with i

Maybe 17-string, six-pickup hybrid double neck harp-slide-guitar hybrids will become the next thing. :cool:

8. Replies
    Views

Re: Violin shaped mandolin from Italy

That would certainly be nothing to brag about, and could even give one a serious inferiority complex. :))
  9. Thread: Stage fright

by Petrus
    Replies
    Views

Re: Stage fright

Play with your back to the audience. Mumble a few words apologetically when you're done then quickly rush offstage to the waiting limo to ferry you back to the hotel, where you proceed to destroy the...
  10. Thread: Boomer Bust?

by Petrus
    Replies
    Views

Re: Boomer Bust?

The perceived lack of interest in old folks' stuff by their younger family members may just be due to the small sample size. We all have things we are very enamored with that reflect our personal...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: "There's no good music anymore!"

Lots of interesting opinions here, definitely bookmarking this thread. For the sake of convenience (mine mainly) I'll just throw out a couple of observations that I think will dovetail with some of...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Any truth to sanding...?

On the plus side with this sort of upgrade chain, all those items (except the shipping!) can just be transferred to another mandolin if you ever get tired of or outgrow the MK.

I've upgraded the...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: (NMC) Don't let your accounts get hijacked

I just got one today from a pseudo-Amazon phisher. Usually you can tell by reading them -- they are often full of bad grammar, typos, and similar giveaways that are just sloppy conmanship. If you...
  14. Re: Moving to an additional instrument after competency w/mando

I got a tenor banjo a few months ago; they're tuned in fifths like the mandolin family so you can use the same general fingering and a lot of mando tab music will just carry over (though the stretch...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Pictures of Eastman MD-413 Gold Top

I suspect the tiny metallic flakes within the gold metallic finish will resonate within certain frequency ranges (given orientation and exact dimensions of each metallic flake, of course), providing...
  16. Re: Don’t Know If I’m Strong Enough To Talk About This Yet…

I suppose one never forgets one's first car either. :grin:

17. Re: Stolen 10 years ago, on craigslist today - what can I do?

Mandolin Squad

18. Re: Stolen 10 years ago, on craigslist today - what can I do?

And apparently was knowledgeable or concerned enough to have it kept in climate controlled conditions for a decade to avoid damage, possibly calling from prison once in a while to keep tabs on it...
  19. Re: Stolen 10 years ago, on craigslist today - what can I do?

While agreeing with all the above, I'd just add that you shouldn't jump to conclusions about the current seller (if so tempted.) The instrument may have passed through several hands over the prior...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: The saddest song ever

I haven't read every post so apologies if these have been mentioned already.

Almost anything by Townes Van Zandt ... especially his later stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYK-jNZ0xhQ
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Is there such a thing as a "Mandolin Culture?"

With the Cafe ball cap, there is also such a thing as "mandolin couture." :cool:
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Scientific proof for an instrument "opening up"?

Been down this road before ... I brought up the "closing down" argument on a prior go-round with this topic, and concluded that selection bias may be at work. I.e., the closing down phenomenon may...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: I am now full time

24. Replies
    Views

Johnny Staats awesomeness

Apologies if this is a repost, there's too much stuff to search through ... Googled this little clip while looking for more Johnny Staats material after checking out the recent MP3 linked on the main...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: When unique is an understatement

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4