Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: mando tuned ukes?

I have an Ohana Vita-ukulele, a CKP-70 tuned to mando-tuning.
    The problem was the e-string, that broke quite often.
    But I got La Bella charango-strings and they hold.
    Sounds nice for certain kinds...
  2. Think I found a nice "take everywhere" mandolin.

MAS has set in pretty firmly over the past year's journey since I first picked up a mandolin. It's like a sickness I tell ya.

I have a few, some very good, some that most would consider basic...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Statman in NYC 05/10/18

There's plenty of Andy going around on the Cafe. Not many mandolin players get two lengthy feature articles about them. He's well known among many. Case in point:

Andy from the history database...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Statman in NYC 05/10/18

https://youtu.be/C8UWXNKD6FQ
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Music in NYC?

Jim Kendrick, a NYC Mandolin player, runs this site of NYC music events: Jim’s Roots and Blues.

The New York Mandolin Orchestra rehearses on Tuesdays on the upper west side near Columbia.
  6. Replies
    Views

This link will be very helpful.

http://www.folkmusicny.org/repeating.html

Also, Google “Mona’s Monday Night Bluegrass Session”. That’s the one to catch if you can only join one!

Have fun, I...
  7. Replies
    Views

I can't say for sure, but somebody told me this might help . . . .

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/music/best-folk-music-venues-in-new-york
  8. Replies
    Views

Happy Thanksgiving Wishes

The US is celebrating Thanksgiving holiday today; may I wish a happy Thanksgiving Day to the folk who run this website, and to all members. You guys are the best, and I sincerely hope this a good day...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Using a capo to make string changes easier...

This, of course, depends very much on the string-changing technique you decide to use. I find it completely unnecessary. I also find it unnecessary to use a pegwinder, either. My technique, which...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Bach, where to start?

I have made an arrangement of Jesus Joy of Man's Desiring for mandolin, you can listen to it here:
    https://youtu.be/GMQfXgh84dc
    The sheet music is available as free download on my musicaneo site:...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: I'm REALLY excited!

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll bear them in mind.

Wish offered to build another with 10 strings; I decided to go with the 8-string. I appreciate your concerns also, Explorer.

The instrument...
  12. Replies
    Views

Baritone ukulele conversion

Ukecello = Baritone ukulele tuning CGDA (C2G2D3A3). Same tuning as a cello.
    String from "Pyramid 7String Classical Guitar Set I"

String B1 - tuning C2
    String E2 - tuning G2
    String A2 - tuning...
  13. Lloyd Loar's Obituary from Fretted Instrument News

Joe Spann shared this with us today and gave us the OK to post on the forum. Larger version available if you click the image below.

14. Replies
    Views

Re: More Guitar Pictures than Mandolins?

Lots of us post photos when we acquire new or newly acquired instruments. Many of us often post photos from auction sites for mandolins under discussion. Scott and the gang have the Eye Candy pages...
  15. Re: GDAE tuning and strumming uke/guitar style

Hello, all.
    I have been reading all old threads here, and on Banjo Hangout, and Uke Underground, regarding playing any and all smallish four string machines in GDAE. Fifths are the "secret" that...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Ridiculous MAS

Hey Jeff,
    Some people collect stamps, some collect coins, some collect paintings and I could go on and on and on.....
    I collect wooden musical instruments and have been intrigued by them since I...
  17. New noob member, new "The Loar" mandolin, & endpin jack question

Hello everyone!

I'm brand new to the forum, though I have lurked a bit recently. I'm an experienced guitarist, but basically a mandolin noob. I can play all of 3 R.E.M. songs and Battle of...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: For the older players: arthritis and mandolining

Yes, turmeric is used in many world foods, including curry. I can't imagine mixing it in water and drinking it - that does not sound very appetizing to me! I like turmeric in foods, but taking it...
  19. Replies
    Views

Mandolin and Tuba

CPodKsL4S5w]Bill Wallach

If anyone was going to do this, I should have expected that Bill would. Bill is a local Connecticut musician that I first met at contra dances more decades ago than either...
  20. Replies
    Views

Silverangel #390 El Toro #3 (VIDEO)

I put this video together for my buddy, Ken. This is his #2 El Toro with a hybrid top. The bass side is redwood and the treble is Italian spruce. It's an extremely mature sounding mandolin,...
  21. Re: New member - new-ish to Mandolin (already play guitar)

Don mentioned this but it needs to be repeated. Proper mandolin technique is NOT to put your fingers perpendicular to the fretboard. that's guitar technique. Mandolin technique is pretty close to...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Question for mando junkies

If BG is the thing, then I'd think BG machines would be the way to go. Personally I go in varied musical directions - all kinds of things happen to impel me in those directions. Perhaps, acquiring...
  23. Making a $40 Rogue mando play like a dream. It is possible!

I said "play", not "sound".. although it doesn't sound that bad for a beginner instrument :)

There have been a lot of questions about the dirt-cheap mandos like the Rogue, and I wanted to post...
  24. Replies
    Views

Virtual Tour of Elderly Instruments

I don't have the time or money to visit Elderly — it has been quite a while since I was actually there, but, in the meantime Stan and gang have provided a virtual tour to check out the store. Too bad...
  25. Replies
    Views

SimplyMandolin- new resource

As one who is always looking for new mandolin sites, I found this new one with lots of free tabs. I was impressed with how it put together. Any other new ones i should check out??
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3