Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on keys.

Basics. A “key” is nothing more than a “container” for seven diatonic notes, and for the specific harmonic triads of thirds formed from those notes, thus, seven specific triads.

I see very little...
  2. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: The Ecstasy of Gold

This is one I'd been eyeing for a while for a possible solo mandolin arrangement. I finally sat down and put something together this week. I worked it all out on my Gibson A-4, but at the last...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Using a capo with a mandolin?

4. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is bluegrass played so fast?

Some of us only play it half-fast.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando Deoderant

There will be no more of “That solo sure stunk!”. At least for 72 hours.
  6. Replies
    Views

Homer And Jethro "Take The A Train"

A little morning magic...:mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBZn4S9S2CU
  7. Replies
    Views

The MAS is strong, but I am weak.

I've kind of always wanted a Flatiron, and I've been staring at an A5 at Russo Music for the past week (was I the only one?).

1991 Montana made, Bruce Weber signed. Should be here Thursday or...
  8. The Beatles: Here Comes the Sun (solo Pomeroy mandola)

I apologize in advance if anyone is tiring of the Beatles kick I've been on lately. At any rate, here's the latest:

https://youtu.be/mBCjCsbWbBA
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: The new Nickel Creek Album

This came up in my feed today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK0Da0-cZuA
  10. Replies
    Views

Almain, by Robert Johnson (1583-1633)

It seemed like my last Renaissance arrangement for mandola was fairly well received, so I thought I'd share tonight's project. This is Almain by Robert Johnson, reharmonized and arranged for solo...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Woke with a chord question

Read all about it here. Perhaps more than you want to know.
  12. Re: Wrapping strings around tuners too many times restringing?

Years ago, I read an interview with Lester Flatt who spoke about this very thing. He said always had three or 4 turnings on the post and said essentially what Pops1 just said; more windings = less...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Key of Bb

The way many musicians understand chords and progressions is via harmonized scales. Basically what happens is we begin with a scale, let's use Bb as per your question:
  14. Replies
    Views

Theory: "cheat sheet" for Western modes

Here's a little webapp I've been working on for some time (version 3 now, rebuilt from scratch.)

If you've ever struggled to understand what modes "look like" and how they are constructed, this is...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Position playing or shifting?

IF you want both simultaneous shifting and pinky practice, Paganini's Perpetual Motion (Moto Perpetuo) will give you plenty of both!

Way back (1979-1982) I took lessons from a violinist named...
  16. Replies
    Views

Montana mandolin field trip

I just returned from a field trip to Montana. Objective was to meet Bruce and Mary Weber, to have Bruce Weber lay his hands on my Weber Beartooth A, to see his shop, and incidentally do some...
  17. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

It's not just MandolinCafe. FWIW, 30 seconds on Google brought up these:

34 pages :disbelief: of many negative comments at TheGearPage.net.

Various expressions including some discontent...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: For Family. For Country. For Freedom.

Lest we forget that we are an international group, we can remember the contributions of the British, Canadian, and allied forces who were also landing in Normandy and also remember the terrible toll...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: How to play in A Flat

Some previous posts have mentioned capo use -

Either you use a capo on the first fret and employ the basic open string key of G fingerings,

OR, and, I say with all respect, deal with this like...
  20. Replies
    Views

Good-bye old Mandolin Cafe

Sorry for the lack of notice but no sense in announcing these things to our mind. If your browser is functioning properly and hasn't cached a bunch of old stuff you'll notice there's a new look to...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: What my audience prefers to hear (rant)

Very true on the larger scale, but the one big exception is when it's a relatively small venue in an area where the "audience" is mostly other musicians.

Some mainly instrumental performers have...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: When is a "mandolin" . . .

LOL, yeah! Like that tiny guitar that looks like a mandolin. It allows guitar players to fake people into thinking they're mandolin players. I am still not sure what to call that instrument. It's...
  23. Re: Rattlesnake tail rattles in mandolins, do they change anythin

The physical reality of the benefits of the rattlesnake rattle are sooooooooooooo besides the point. Its a tradition that has meaning for some, not for others.

Of course we have superstitions, and...
  24. Replies
    Views

Mandoholic Confession Thread

The following LONG post is what happens when you are laid-up in bed for nearly two weeks, with way too much time on your hands . . . .

==================================

Hello - my name is...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: chords chords chords, learning chords.

A lot of advice given here, I have to chime in, even though mine may be the least popular response, it bears writing it, because I believe it's the truth of the matter. This response applies to both...
Page 1 of 2 1 2