Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

A++?
    To me, I've heard maybe 5 or 10 mandolins that I would grade as A++, and none of them were moderately priced factory instruments (although some are rather old factory instruments that were...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Help cleating top crack

When I want to use hide glue with Teeter clamps I do 2 things:

1. warm the work to increase open time and working time
    2. pull up on the clamp to hold the cleat in place while cranking the...
  3. Replies
    Views

I hope I'm not re-inventing the wheel with this. I have been trying to glue cleats to the inside of a long side crack. I wanted to use HHG, but there was no way that that I could get the Teeter...
  4. Replies
    Views

Using magnetic clamping has become fairly common, with all sorts of variation in methods and makeshift tooling. It works well for cracks that are well aligned.
    To align and glue cracks that are not...
  5. Replies
    Views

I have developed a 'laparoscopic' method for applying a cleat across a crack repair with a system that uses access to a nearby soundhole.

For the crack repair itself I created teflon caps for the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Ron Cole Mandolins

7. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Staines passes (NMC)

We lost a gentle soul. He was generous every time he visited the northland here by the unsalted sea. I remember over 30 years ago he performed at the Northshore Music Festival that was on the shore...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Cole mandolin

Congratulations! The headstock inlay looks great. Please post more photos when you get a chance.
  9. Thread: Frank Wakefield

by AlanN
    Replies
    Views

Re: Frank Wakefield

Frank wrote one of bluegrass mandolin's tour de force tunes, New Camptown Races, in 1953(!). The number has been recorded by at least a dozen artists. That alone places him at the top of the heap.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Eric Weissberg

Ever since New Dimensions In Banjo & Bluegrass came out in the '60's, Weissberg (a Julliard grad, who was formerly in the Tarriers and an early version of the Greenbriar Boys) has been a major...
  11. Replies
    Views

Del McCoury Band w/ Thile

Can't believe that this has yet to be posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vkz-w6vAi0
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: My screws fell out

The screws on the neck joint were a hold over from the Flatiron days. At some point Charlie Derrington moved the production process to a dovetail after he took over managing the production. There are...
  13. Replies
    Views

Screws to back up a glued joint are not at all common. Most traditional acoustic mandolins and guitars (not talking electric solid-body here) go either of 2 ways:

- On the lower end, a simple...
  14. Replies
    Views

The bolts were there to hold the neck in place till the glue cured. I would contact Bruce (406-580-6053), but I am sure you don't need to replace them.
  15. Replies
    Views

You might contact Bruce Weber, he would be very familiar with that type of neck joint.
  16. Replies
    Views

Rory Gallagher - 20th Anniversary

Rory Gallagher died 20 years ago today.

There's been a lot of his mandolin on Irish radio in the last 24 hrs.

For those who don't know him :

a2CyXGv5fEY
  17. Thread: Neck Relief

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

Re: Neck Relief

Normally, I recommend very slight relief in the neck (nothing like picture 2, but I realize it is exaggerated). Mandolins, with their short scale length and high string tension, don't need much...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Minnesota Pickers?

Up here next to the unsalted sea called Lake Superior, we here in Duluth, MN have a weekly jam every Wednesday night at a place called Sir Benedict's Tavern. It's been going on since 1978. There is...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Match radius of bridge and fretboard?

My approach:
    I measure the string height at the 12th fret and start from there. First step, adjust the bridge so that the string height is about right, then adjust each string by filing the notches...
  20. Replies
    Views

Finally got a Clark F5!

I finally get to keep one! Number 142
    Red Spruce and Red Maple, oil varnish/ French polish, Waverly machines and a Calton case on order!

I'm a happy camper....
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: String pitch below bridge, do you care?

Banjo players do it too -- e.g. Doug Dillard:

G0l-ywr8DW8

With Judy Garland, no less...
  22. Replies
    Views

I believe the "afterlength" on a Lyon & Healy mandolin is tuned by the design of the of those gorgeous tailpieces. Can somebody chime in with a definitive yes/no answer and if yes, what the interval...
  23. Replies
    Views

I do not think it matters at all. As mentioned above, the geometry of the tail piece would affect pitch at that end and many tail piece styles do not have the unison strings ending up with the same...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Emory Lester- Pale Rider

Thanks so much to all of you for this thread, and your encouraging words regarding 'Pale Rider', and the other songs and projects mentioned. There are quite a few funny and interesting stories...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Emory Lester- Pale Rider

Well,the man himself on here !!. Emory's one of my favourite musicians - a multi talented instrumentalist who comes in second to none. 'Cruisin' The 8' is a terrific testament to his talent. The 2...
Page 1 of 2 1 2