Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Pete Strickler Irish tenor guitar album

Just want to take a moment to recommend Giotár, a really fine new release by Pete Strickler (tenor guitar) and Charlie Branch (guitar): http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/petestricklercharliebran. Marla Fibish...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Portuguese guitar (cittern) as CBOM

Andy Irvine played one in the earlier days of Planxty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wS1iorel04
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Portuguese guitar (cittern) as CBOM

Great band, Boiled in Lead. They got me in the mindset to appreciate Cordelia's Dad and then Tim Eriksen's solo work, so a good start. You really don't hear that much said about BiL anymore, though...
  4. Replies
    Views

Portuguese guitar (cittern) as CBOM

I've been interested in mandos and CBOMs for about twenty years now, since I was in my mid-teens, and just recently came across a chance to acquire an odd CBOMish instrument I'd known of for years...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Portuguese guitar ?

I'm mucking around in Portugal for a few weeks waiting for a decision on a contract job elsewhere, and after a couple days in Porto I picked up a PG from a shop downtown called Porto Guitarra. I'll...
  6. Replies
    Views

I have several portuguese guittaras. two antiques, which I love best, although they may not have the richer modern sound. I have used several "celtic" tunnings on the,. my short scale--lisboa...
  7. Replies
    Views

I've been tuning my own portuguese guitar to nothing besides DADGAD or DADF#AD for many many years. I have never played Fado music, but Indian and North African styles. Always kept a drone going on...
  8. Replies
    Views

After posting on this thread the other day, i took out my PG for the first time in 2 years and played it. Amazingly, it was still tuned pretty close to pitch.

I closely examined the broken tuner,...
  9. Replies
    Views

Cedar Top Octave Mandolin

I sent this out a couple days ago, it's a straight forward OM, no frills, Cedar top with Cedar bracing. The back and side are Maple, the neck Mahogany. The fingerboard, headstock overlay, adjustable...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Recording - a cautionary tale!

...and I thought he had the mic pointed in the wrong direction.... ;)
  11. Replies
    Views

I own a Portuguese guitar. I call mine a cittern, although Ive also heard it referred to as a fado guitar. It was built in 1967 in Lisbon. It was purchased originally by a wealthy roommate of mine...
  12. Replies
    Views

Recording - a cautionary tale!

This is worth relating, I think, as it is a very common problem, though not everyone goes quite as far as the person involved in this case.

A guitar playing friend contacted me to ask for some...
  13. Replies
    Views

We all are - in Hawaiian. ;) The Hawaiian word for "mandolin" is "kika pukiki," if I recall correctly, or, literally, "Portuguese guitar." I found this out riffling through the paperback...
  14. Replies
    Views

Andy irvine new supergroup

Check out Andy's website for Usher's Island. Creme de la creme of Irish music. Cant wait to see them in the new year!
  15. Scottish mandolin, fiddle, bouzouki & guitar film

A few video clips from a recent gig in Edinburgh ....

https://vimeo.com/115063639

https://vimeo.com/115063636

https://vimeo.com/115053445
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: What is a Celtic mandolin?

Part of the history of Irish music (and possibly other similar musics) has been the use of cast-off instruments such as diatonic flutes, concertinas, bodhrans and even mandolins - cast-off because...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: What is a Celtic mandolin?

Hmmm....everyone's entitled to his/her own opinion, of course, and the opinions of a builder a skilled as Mr. Forster are certainly worth listening to and considering. But I don't agree with the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: 5-course, tell me about yours?

Hey all.

Steve, you mentioned,

You are right in my case. I think of it as a big mandolin... Or a pretty uncooperative NST guitar that's missing the high G. :) I tune my Moon in fifths, CGDAE,...
  19. Replies
    Views

Steve- I've had this list:

23" DGDAD Stephen Owsley Smith
    20" GDAEA Sobell "large bodied mandola"
    Vega 10-string mandolin/mandola (mandolin scale) CGDAE
    Vega 10-string Mandola/mandolin (mandola...
  20. Replies
    Views

I play a lovely Fylde archtop cittern, 23.5in scale, tuned GDGDG. It´s beautifully built, produces a huge shimmering sound, and more or less plays itself!
    A popular builder here in Sweden is Mats...
  21. Replies
    Views

I have four 5-course instruments, three of which you are likely interested in (one is 7-stringed), two of which I feel qualified to speak of.

The one I use most frequently was made...
  22. Replies
    Views

Video here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aod77dbBuE4
  23. Replies
    Views

Steve - I have a 10-string mandolin-dola by little known luthier Tom Jessen. This is the second instrument I have that was built by him and all I can say is the tone and playability exceed that of...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: new Arches flattops

Putting my Arches to good use!

Playing with Paddy Keenan, actually, trying to keep up with him, and John Walsh...