Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Anyone know of a website or app that will display all chord n

Here's a chart I made for my students that has the whole ball of wax on one page.
  2. Re: Who was the first American mandolin manufacturer?

A careful reading of MTR's November 19, 1904, Vol. 39, No. 21 shows just how tight the race was with Bohmann given a slight edge over Lyon & Healy. see attached
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: JazzMando website to sunset soon

Ted,

Thank you again and again for all you've done for the mandolin, at JazzMando.com, here at the Cafe, in Getting Into Jazz Mandolin, FFcP, instrument,pick,and string design, support of...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Band Issues

Are you having fun?

If you are, accept the shortcomings and have more fun.

If you are not, make the necessary moves to have more fun.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Amusing story

This is at the heart of our nation; Embrace diversity. To do it with your mandolin, golden.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Laurel vs Yanny

I hear "Boy is this dumb".
  7. Replies
    Views

Blues, Stomps, and Rags #7

Along with Yank Rachell ("Blues, Rags, & Stomps" #2 & 3), Howard Armstrong (1909-2003) was probably the most popular and influential of old blues-mandolin players, in part because both lived long...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Facing the cold hard truth

It is as simple as 40 years Vs 6 years. No it will never be the same. That doesn't mean it isn't worth it.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: "Mandolin Hacks"

Every joke has an intended and therefore limited audience. Widening that circle by explaining the joke kills both ;)

The shoulder belt of a ladies' handbag makes a decent strap.

Saliva makes a...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: In The Family Genes?

It's not genes, it's practice.
  11. Re: Article: Collings MT2 Cremona Sunburst Finish Giveaway

I like all of us was hoping I would win, but...... a 16 year old GREAT. Nothing better than our youth playing acoustic instruments and carrying the tradition on. CONGRATULATIONS KYLE.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this a Stradolin?

The Mugwumps Index of American Fretted Instrument Makers lists "Beltone" as a trademark of the early 20th century New York distributors Perlberg & Halpin. Evidently they sold instruments from a...
  13. February Jazz tune of the month: There Will Never Be Another You

This months winner is There Will Never Be Another You.

Version 1 is swing, 150 beats per minute. Play the head, 3 improvised choruses and the head. At the end play measures 29 and 30 3 times,...
  14. Re: GbMaj7 chord help for short-fingered mandolinist

Just now actually played my suggestion a couple times. Meh. 334x sounds better, let the bass player supply the root.

But hey, there's other options, as seen above!
  15. Re: GbMaj7 chord help for short-fingered mandolinist

Right, I see. I got stuck thinking the maj7 should be at the top.
  16. Re: GbMaj7 chord help for short-fingered mandolinist

here is what I might use. either of the Db7s

Db7.

G. 4
    D. 3
    A. 4
    E. x or 1
  17. Re: GbMaj7 chord help for short-fingered mandolinist

The 2 on the E string is actually a G flat. The major seventh F is over on D string fret 3.
  18. Re: GbMaj7 chord help for short-fingered mandolinist

3342 (low to high) would be Bb F Db Gb which is GbM7 I think? That seems playable. Depends where you're coming from/going to, of course.
  19. Re: GbMaj7 chord help for short-fingered mandolinist

the Gbmaj7 appears in a short string of ii-V I's....in Bb, then Ab, then Gb. Remembering that it's ok to express the root(I) chord as major, major 7th, 6th, or 9th, you might try your voicings for...
  20. Re: GbMaj7 chord help for short-fingered mandolinist

That suggestion is one of my go-to moves, especially for the I - IV with dominant 7ths on both, like D7 to G7, which would be 5-4-5-(x) to 4-3-5-(x).

I would usually add the bass note on my C...
  21. Re: GbMaj7 chord help for short-fingered mandolinist

For a full monty Db7 --> GbMaj7: 4-3-4-4 --> 3-3-4-4 (going up from the G string); or just use the bottom 3 strings in those fingerings & let somebody else fill in the other notes... I think this...
  22. Re: GbMaj7 chord help for short-fingered mandolinist

Find the moving tones and use 3 note or 2 note chords to facilitate. To me, the movement is more important than the full chords.
  23. Re: GbMaj7 chord help for short-fingered mandolinist

I don’t think you can easily. If the 3 is the bass note, you can’t get the 5 or maj 7 on the D string. If the 5 is in the bass, then you have 688 as the chord, 5,3,7. But if you used the 3 high...
  24. Re: GbMaj7 chord help for short-fingered mandolinist

If you want all four notes, you could try (low to high) one of these:

But in a band context you often don't need all the notes. Hope this helps.
  25. Re: Does anyone have an A Minor 9 chord for short fingered people

I use 5577 - low to high, C G E B.

This is what I play for a C maj7 but it's also an Am9 with no root.
Page 1 of 2 1 2