Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Daley Mandolins are Back?

I live just up the road from where Sim is now based, and, if I had the cash, I'd commission one in a heartbeat! It would be a shame for that talent not to go into making mandolins, and it would be...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Are you a mandolin picker?

It certainly is in very common usage over here, in fact until very recently I had never heard a 'plectrum' called a 'pick', and in the same way that 'plectrum' may sound affected to American ears,...
  3. Thread: Blue Chip Uk

by Rob Beck
    Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chip Uk

Same thing happened to me, plus (if I recall correctly) an £8.00 handling fee. A VERY expensive plectrum, I do love it but would not have paid that much if I had known before hand.
  4. Re: Recommend Some Trad. Scottish/Irish/Welsh/English Tune CDs.

Thanks for this Dagger, I hadn't come across Spiro before, and I rather like it! :)
    and... I have just noticed they are gigging "just up the road" in Tavistock in March!
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Fender Tru-Shell picks

Crikey, you're not wrong Nick - I tried bevelling my Tru-shell with a foam four sided nail buffer thingy, and wow, what a difference! It's still a slippery little blighter but I'm using it much more...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Fender Tru-Shell picks

I have had a fender Tru-Shell for a while now and whilst it’s obviously very subjective, I found them hard to grip and with a soft tone that I really didn’t bond with. When I bought it I made a few...
  7. Re: My first composition for solo mandolin: "Maelstrom"

Very good! Nice playing and nice sounding mandolin too.
    If I was to suggest anything it would be to add a bit of variety to the harmonics rather than sticking to the same note, but that's just...
  8. Re: Jefferson and Liberty - my new (old) favorite

Nice playing Mark, I enjoyed that. The recorded sound was a little weird, but that might be my ageing PC and speaker set up! Despite that, it sounds like your mandolin has a really nice tone. Thanks...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Gibson A model

Hello Mandowinner,
    Now I (as they say) am no Gibson expert, but that finish looks seriously glossy to me for a 1919 instrument. Is it possible that it has been refinished and that the cracks that...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: I've Got A Right To Sing The Blues

Yeah you have! :)

Nice playing. Tenor guitar? I think this is the first time I have listened to one being played. Thanks for posting.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Cool headstock photo

Nice filter Demetrius :)

This is a photo of my headstock that I like. It was taken using portrait mode on my phone. It's an artificial depth of field effect available on certain iPhones.

12. Replies
    Views

Re: Unwanted Resonance

Hello OneChordTrick,

I have had a similar (and common) problem between the bridge and the tailpiece. People often use use rubber grommets, which look quite good, or a strip of leather (which is in...
  13. Thread: Focus

by Rob Beck
    Replies
    Views

Re: Focus

I feel your pain derbex, I have the same problem myself!

I do wonder if the answer is to get to the point where you can get distracted without it adversely affecting your playing. I find that the...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Thicker primetone picks

Ha! That though had crossed my mind too! ;)
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Thicker primetone picks

Bill, a word of warning from a satisfied but considerably poorer than expected UK Blue Chip owner. I ordered one from the US a few years ago, and was clobbered with import fees (VAT I think),...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about ArtistWorks lessons

Hello Mark, I registered for Mike's course last year, and to the best of my recollection, your subscription allows you access to a single teacher/course. I don't think it would make good business...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: MANdolin or mandoLIN?

With the caveat that I haven't actually gone as far as to check my facts ;), isn't the "lin" part of "mandolin" derived from Italian for something like "small" or "little" as in "little mandola", and...
  18. Thread: i Rig Pre

by Rob Beck
    Replies
    Views

Re: i Rig Pre

Hello Astro, I just noticed that you had posted in this thread. Sorry to hear that this is not working out for you. I run my iRig Pre into an iPhone, so am not sure how it works with Android...
  19. Thread: i Rig Pre

by Rob Beck
    Replies
    Views

Re: i Rig Pre

Hello Astro,

I have used this for exactly the application you describe, and it has worked fine for me. For the money, it was the perfect solution. If you are interested, the most recent videos on...
  20. Replies
    Views

If you do decide to replace them all, remember...

If you do decide to replace them all, remember that you probably have a floating bridge, which is held in place by the strings. If you remove all the strings at once the bridge will fall off and...
  21. Like it! It reminds me of the Levellers. :)

Like it! It reminds me of the Levellers. :)
  22. Replies
    Views

Nice work, I like it, particularly like the sound...

Nice work, I like it, particularly like the sound of the vocals. The song immediately makes me feel like I know it - which is a good thing :)
  23. Replies
    Views

The headstock tuner has the advantage that it is...

The headstock tuner has the advantage that it is a tool dedicated to one job. If you need to tune between songs in a performance, press the button and it's right there and working. With the app you...
  24. Replies
    Views

I agree with everyone else, nice playing and...

I agree with everyone else, nice playing and really good tone. Good job! (nice hat work too ;) )
  25. Replies
    Views

Sounds good to me! Nice to hear you adding your...

Sounds good to me! Nice to hear you adding your own variations to the tune too. I have tried this tune too, but my attempt was much more of an attempt to copy John's version. Good work :)
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4