Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Good Mandolin set up in Houston

Good luck. Houston is a dry spot for either Mandolin or banjo work. I’ve taken some to Kevin Perry at Great Sourthern Music. Kevin is primarily a guitar luthier. Mike Fuller is another option at...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Nut files recommendation please

The Stu Mac files are great, but expensive for hobbiest. I found a cheap-quality and inexpensive on EBay. I use welder's tip files to polish and finish the grooves. The tip files come like feeler...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Suggestion for android reader

I have a small LG Tablet (7") that is convent to carry in a case for back up. I use an IPad with "FourScore" and transfer files from Dropbox which is linked to my android LG so most of the same...
  4. Re: Ideas to get a replacement pick guard for Pava #14

Have you tried Tom Ellis' shop?
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: JBovierA5 vs Eastman 505

When I ordered my J Bovier black top F-5T directly I spoke to Jeff C about finding one tgat closely matched the tone I was looking for. He did a good job on selecting one for me. My 1st preference...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Tool for filing nut slots

I use welder's tip files about $5-6 for a set at hardware stores. They are round & flexible and smooth the groves om bridge also. They will not be fast cutters so they slowly remove material less...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Gallatin A

Yes, but remember they are indidual instrument no 2 will be exactly the same you really need to try one first . I have found the Webbers more consistent in town then the easement send easements...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Diagnosis nasty sustain in vintage TB

If you have not tightened your banjo's head in 10 years you might want to check it.
    I simple way is to place a straight edge along side of the bridge inside the edges of the tensioning...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrade mandolin tuners

I am confident you understand this so forgive me if this is old information for you. Do some maintain economic on you 700 before changing the tuners. I am sure others can give you some details on...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: J Bovier Video sound demos

My black top F5-T custom shop is a strong balanced instrument. It is maturing nicely. I have to back off to not drown out the banjo. In fairness the banjo player plays really soft, but my JB is...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Travel with a nice mandolin

Several years ago pre 9/11/01 I took my Guild D-55 ( I know not a mandolin) to Costa Rica. Ichecked it. Houston , TX climate not a big change so no worries there.
    At the time I packed it like...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: strapholder A mandolin tone influence ?

I have used a strap under the fretboafd extension with both a flat strap and a piece of rawhide boot string leather, I have used a hide string between the tuners under the strings on the peg head....
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Taking solo's in Gospel tunes

As a Pastor and musician, the message spoken and musically presented is the reason for worship services. A tasteful interlude enhances the message being presented. A long intricate solo can obscure...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: New jam session in Houston

We have a jam each Monday night at the Weekley Community Center in NW (Cypress area) Houston. A show and jam on 2nd Friday ( this Friday) same location. A good jam on 4th Saturday at Klieb Wood...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky KM 505 variations?

I have a KM-550 made in the master model factory and discontinued when the 505 model production was moved. The 550 IHO sounds and looks better than any of the 505's I tried. It is lighter than the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: thinking of 'improving' my a-40

I installed an Allen TP to a 1964 A40 and believed it help with some sustain an enhanced the tone. However, when I prepared the mandolin for sale and re-installed the original TP and found that most...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Difference in Mando tops

What I would have liked to have said but didn't. Thanks Bill.
  18. Re: Fixing a broken head stock with construction adhesive

Is conventional wisdom original tite bond to do repairs like this
  19. Thread: TMS question

by texaspaul
    Replies
    Views

Re: TMS question

I have purchased several instruments from TMS and supplies and in every case have received great customer service. Would they carried guitars and banjos I bought some from those as well every...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Music Stores in Houston Area

Fullers Vintage Guitar on 610 loop as the name suggests they deal mainly in Guitars and specialize in Gibson Accoustics. They have a good inventory of Deering Banjos. But not many mandolins really...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Book on gibson employees

Yes I ordered the book on Amazon for a Lady who had done inlay work for Gibson. She was living in an Assisted Living facility with my parents. The book focuses on Women if Gibson during the War...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick thickness.

I have Primetone picks a tear drop 1.3, a rounded tri-point 1.4, a tri-point 1.4 with right hand bevel and a a tri-point 1.5 with right hand bevel. Each pick has little flex put each has very...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: New J Bovier F5-T

Sorry about multiple pics don't upload often enough to remember process.

"I just took deliver of my 2nd J Bovier, a F5-T Black face. It has started strong and I look forward as it develops a...
  24. Replies
    Views

New J Bovier F5-T

25. Replies
    Views

Re: J Bovier A5 Special Watch Begins

That is a beautiful mandolin. Especially the neck and side woods. Mine is really strarting to open up, I set it on the bass woofer box when I have the XM radio on That is, when I am not playing...
Page 1 of 2 1 2