Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Comparions? '95 Flatiron A5 Jr vs.' 00 Flatiron Performer A

The 95 Flatiron will have a mortise and tenon style neck joint along with a small bolt to hold it in place. The 00 Flatiron will have a traditional dovetail neck joint. The 95 will likely have an...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Tom Smothers

I remember watching their show when I was a kid, looked forward to seeing it every week. They were a face/voice of national protest at the time.
  3. In Search of a Case for a Kentucky KM-900

I recently picked up a Kentucky KM-900. However, the case that came with it is quite ill fitting, and doesn’t have an arched cover. Maybe it’s the original case? Are there any KM-900/950 owners out...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s Happening At Gibsin?

There are not many of Adrian’s “Hogan” Mandolins in the states as he lives in Slovakia and is not full time building IIRC. . I’m fortunate to have his #7 for the past 16 years. Hand made, no cnc, the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Scrap Yard Challenge

Here’s an example of Adrian’s wood bending expertise. #7 Hogan. Still have it with me and it has really opened up over the years. Thanks Adrian! Jeff Anderson

6. Re: Mandolin Brunch Throwback, 2005 - historic event

Yes, Mass Street Music is one of the premier shops in the country. They hosted two Mandolin fests, 04 and 05. I live about 40 minutes from Lawrence and I was able to attend both. Memorable weekends...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Compulsive purchase- Flatiron 1N

I’ve owned a few of these over the years but not in recent times. That changed with this Koa back and sides March 1986 model. Came with the 5 latch case. Incredible tone and playability....
  8. Replies
    Views

F-D w/o a Pancake is just wrong on many levels. Glad to see this thread still up and moving!
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: David Grisman videos from RockyGrass

Sam Bush paid a nice tribute to Vassar during the Old & in The Way set. Such an incredible weekend of music in an amazing setting. Wish it wasn’t another year away!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: question about classified section

You don't seem to be cut out for making a sale of this amount online. Selling via consignment is probably your best way to go. Good luck!
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatiron Festivals??

Great question but I don't think there is a clear cut answer. When you compare the Bozeman made Flatirons to the Nashville Flatirons, you are not making an apples to apples comparison. There are very...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatiron Festivals??

The Flatiron Festival was made during their run in Montana. It was made with a Mortise and Tenon neck joint and what they called an integrated fretboard. It wasn't an elevated fretboard as it was...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: At the beach

Glad to see you are still carrying on the Pancake tradition!
  14. Lawrence, Kansas - Mandolin Center of the Universe!

Course we already knew that. Nice story here:

http://www.lawrence.com/news/2015/aug/16/mandolin-mecca-tracing-lawrences-decades-long-love/
  15. Replies
    Views

Nice job!
  16. Hot Rize Video - Nice Pickin by Tim O'Brien

Sorry if this has already been posted. Love this group and Tim O is one of my favorites. Enjoy! http://www.relix.com/media/video/hot_rize_nellie_kane_and_come_away
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Can This Scroll be Enhanced?

Right, the KM1000 is far from a 5k+ Mandolin and as such, you have to be willing to accept some imperfections. However, it's interesting to me that many of these KM1000 Mandolins have the binding set...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Can This Scroll be Enhanced?

Yes, it's a KM1000 - good eye Adrian! To me, the scroll is the single most beautiful feature of an F5. John is on target when he said the "details that stand out to one person can be completely lost...
  19. Replies
    Views

Hogan F-5 in Classifieds

Just saw this last night. I don't think there are too many of his F-5's in the states but I'm lucky to have one of them. Adrian Minarovic is a very talented builder and his work can stand side by...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Leo Posch in major accident

This is just terrible news! I've known Leo for a number of years as he has done repair work for me and I own one of his Dreads. You won't find a nicer person in his line of business. He's a fit...
  21. Re: Fitting Bridge to the Mandolin's Top - Any Tips?

That's what I have going on - an uneven contour on the Bridge's base. The fit is great on the headstock side but not so good on the tailpiece side. I'm guessing it's a result of being able to put...
  22. Here's a shot. It's sporting a Steve Smith Ebony...

Here's a shot. It's sporting a Steve Smith Ebony Pickguard.
  23. Replies
    Views

For some reason, Summit Mandolins don't seem to...

For some reason, Summit Mandolins don't seem to get many props here. I've played a number of Paul's A's and F's and they sounded great. Mass Street seems to have a fairly steady supply of Summit's....
  24. Replies
    Views

atetone- I checked the ebay sale and you...

atetone-

I checked the ebay sale and you indeed got a great deal on your 1N!! I'm still looking for a hard shell case for mine.

Enjoy the heck out of this one - it's a classic. The Flatiron...
  25. Replies
    Views

The second label you are referring to mentions...

The second label you are referring to mentions using light gauge strings. I'll have to give it a second look when I get home for it might say more than that.

I love this little 1N! If you see one...