Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you clean strings after playing?

Good point. According to their MSDS, Dunlop 65 contains 0.5% to 1% polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) in it, which is a water-repellent (hydrophobic) silanizing reagent that acts as a sealer. PDMS is one...
  2. Re: Low strings hum when playing higher notes...

Sign of a good, responsive instrument! The overtones add to the richness of the sound you are getting, as long as no one string or frequency is dominating the sound. It's when they stop humming and...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Can there be only one?

I have a small but considerable collection. Somewhere in the high teens, I think. But I tend to play just the Gibson A currently in her 100th year. Sounds the way I imagine a mandolin should sound....
  4. Replies
    Views

So true it hurts :)
  5. Replies
    Views

You can only have one mandolin. Beyond that, you find that the mandolins have you.
  6. Replies
    Views

There can only be one for whatever mood you happen to be at the moment.

So ... maybe somewhere in the 5-10 range?
  7. Replies
    Views

For me there can't, I have 6 and am always open for more. Would you want only one shirt, only one chair, only one bowl, etc
  8. Re: My avatar disappeared -- how do I get it back?

Sorry you're still having trouble. I'm unable to reproduce this across three different machines I have using six different browsers.

I also downloaded your avatar and it had what I consider an...
  9. Re: Mandolin Test: Get Going, Or Give-In to the Dark Side?

Without adequate good-quality sleep, nothing else of any value is possible.

Sure you could force yourself to play mandolin/etc when you're tired from not enough sleep or poor-quality sleep, but...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Cheapest Multi-Track Rrecording

The solution that would let you do that is using the H4n or similar in 4track mode which I mention in post 11.
    You record the guide track (l normaly do the stereo ones) then choose a different track...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Cheapest Multi-Track Rrecording

The multi-tracking is done in Melosity. You record one track into their software, it can be played back while you record the next.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar Center article

Tell her they are weird because they don't. Every child should have some kind of music requirement in school just like math, science and english.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Why keys of B and B flat?

It's a marketing scam of the capo industry. :cool:
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Don't you just hate it when ...

Or spending a ton of time learning a tune, then find out everyone plays it in keys other than the on you learned. Very common in the local Scandinavian music community.

As to too many guitar...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Don't you just hate it when ...

Or they know the tune but they're leaving out half the chords or playing entirely wrong chords. So you're faced with the choice to play it in a way that you don't like the sound of, just to fit in...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Amplifier recommendation

Fishman Loudbox is the way to go works especially well for vocals too. A really nice sounding amp you can’t go wrong and Fishman policy of fixing any of there amps for $50 regardless of if you bought...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Amplifier recommendation

Guitars amps are mono.

If they do include a 'stereo' input from music players, they sum the stereo signal to mono.

Stereo is of very little use or relevance in live sound in any event as your...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Seagull S8 Mandolin

James, good strategy -- Americans buying Canadian at a savings, even with shipping figured in! Usually, we hear it the other way around with Canadians having to pay more with exchange rates, etc.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Extra Long Fingers

From one with short-fat fingers....I wish I had that problem to find out. :)
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: What sort of mandolin would a pirate have?

If a squidolin isn't handy, this would be the next best thing!

21. Replies
    Views

Re: What do the dots on the fret board mean?

A dot on the third fret means: this is the third fret. A dot on the fifth fret means: this is the fifth fret. And so on.

On that I think we can all agree. Or at least I hope. :)
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Seagull S8 Mandolin

Pity about the tuner James. I got a Seagull recently too.
    There was a thread about it here....
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin arm rests

I have a McClung on both of my good mandolins, and I absolutely love them.
    Beautiful wood, beautifully finished, awesome shape, awesome function, and they just feel great under the arm.
    I recommend...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin arm rests

I added a Cumberland Acoustic armrest to mine a couple weeks ago. It looks ok, but they seem really small compared to all the others. I don't think its made any difference other than changing the...
  25. Re: Bernstein's 5 minute music history lecture (NMC)

From Mark Gunter - "....I think the term "to modulate" has been in use for music with a much longer history ...". Quite so Mark. The term 'modulate / modulation' has been borrowed for use in...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4