Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Disappointed in the Loar Mandolins

Sounds exactly like my experience. I bought a 700 second, sent it off to Steve Smith for a CA bridge, Allen tailpiece, and an excellent setup, and it is a great mando. Does it sound as good as the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: A thousand words is worth no pictures?

I did notice how the ad writer is not giving the original purchase price but rather adjusting it to today's dollars. Wonder if that will work on my old Buick. I think not. Not saying its not worth...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: I Had A Brush With Greatness

I was on that cruise last year as well, and got to at least speak for a few moments with most of the artists. Last year they did not stop in Key West, but we extended our vacation after the cruise...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: [Loar Update] I'm a proper idiot.

That is true, I have one of the 8 prototypes designed by Greg and built by Bruce. It does not have this problem, and is a great sounding mandolin. I also have a The Loar 700, while it is an OK...
  5. Re: Upgrading from a Loar LM600VS to a.......Weber???

I have a The Loar 700 and also a Weber mandolin, and while The Loar is a great mandolin, the Weber sounds a bit better to my ears, plays easier, and feels more comfortable. That being said, not sure...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Good starter Bill Monroe Album

Anthology for 50's and later, 16 Gems for the 40's work with Flatt and Scruggs. For about $30 you will have a great representation of music throughout his career. If money is no issue and you want a...
  7. Replies
    Views

My Trip To Lawrence KS

In the heart of the midwest, there is a mandolin mecca. The town has many good players, some good luthiers, at least one great small builder and also is the host for a very cool website! I had...
  8. Re: Tailpiece replacement for my new j bouvier f5 special

Have to agree with Mike Bunting on this one. I have James tailpieces on 2 of my mandolins and absolutely love the understated look and the ease of string changes. Expensive yes, but that only hurts...
  9. Re: Learning from tabs versus standard notation - thoughts?

A good toolbox contains a screwdriver and a wrench, along with a hammer. Know how to use multiple tools makes you better in most things.
  10. Re: new Loar LM 600, should I buy CA bridge before set-up?

Now is the time to do it. If you don't you will wonder about it until you do decide to get it done, and then you are paying twice for setup work. The Loars are great mandolins for the price, with the...
  11. Re: Score! Baker Plays Monroe LP autographed by Kenny and Bill

Yes, when CD's came out they pointed out how you could hear the artists breathing, and that there would be no distortion. That is true, but it also sounds flat, not flat like out of tune, bu 2...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: 1957 Duane Eddy owned Gibson mandolin

This time nobody watch it.
  13. Replies
    Views

New Dropkick Murphys Video

Sorry if this is already posted. Some nice mandolin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d8SzG4FPyM
  14. Re: Playing it proudly and taking care of it for the next generat

That's a beauty, congrats!
  15. Thread: My Loar

by Kevin Stevens
    Replies
    Views

Re: My Loar

I have a The Loar 700. It was the best 1400 mandolin my $768 could buy. I also own one of the 8 prototype The Loar's that Bruce Weber built for Greg Rich in the late 90's. It is an awesome mandolin...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Cafe members you'd like to meet.

It wasn't so bad meeting you in person Journeybear! I even got to briefly noodle with your Gibson! I met Big Joe once as well, he was a great guy too!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Christmas music for the mando..??

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?67458-Christmas-Music-Standard-amp-Tab&highlight=christmas+music
  18. Replies
    Views

The Loar 700 history

I just picked up a The Loar mandolin from Ebay. The sellers said is part of an estate. There was no sticker inside and the seller couldn't tell me what model it is. When I study the pictures on the...