Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Is it necessary to repair a crack?

Very close to the string line on all those cracks with one being under the bridge. This is the most vulnerable area due to downward bridge pressure and longitudinal compression. Unless there are...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: A5 headstock crack

I've always bought, cut, or laminated neck blanks to be 2" or just under which isn't wide enough to avoid ears however avoids the screws from even accidentally falling on or outside the joint line....
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Reischman superb tone.

John describes it at 4:40 in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvB2PxEsGbM
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: X bracing vs Tone bars

To add to what Wes posted, you can achieve a "rounded fat bassier" sound with tone bars as well and vice versa. Loars having less bass and sound more mid-range is mostly due to the thickness of the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Kimble vs Apitius- anyone played both?

Oliver moved exclusively to spirit varnish at some point, however I'm not sure how long ago.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Rubners for a Collings MT

How long ago did you buy them and did you get them directly through Kent [Rubner]. I decided to try them and pulled the trigger on a set back in January and installed a few weeks ago...top G string...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin top arch differences?

Yes. As for the ranges of spruce species, I like keeping arch height under 16mm, regardless and more often closer to 15mm and graduate accordingly by how much wood I leave at the end of the day. I...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Another headstock crack question

Good. I could have hid this repair pretty easily but he did not want to wait. He'll drop it off some other time when he can live without his banjo for a week.153793
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: 1st A-5 finished

Thanks, Graham. Lets see a pic.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

Time for clear coats152884
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Jacobson Nautilus Nordic-themed mandolin

Sounds great, Marty!
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Tap Tuning F5 mandolins.

Gilchrist tap tunes the tops with just the bars on. He's shown doing so in the Harmony House video http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/2010/s3229947.htm and actually speaks on shaving the bars to...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Bernabe #33 in the white

realized I never followed up with a finished pic. Since finished its been on a joy ride in a stolen car and recovered in the projects in Little Rock and recorded an album....so here's one and a sound...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Hacklinger gaurge can hack it

Good score Bernie. How much? if you dont mind me asking.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Practice backboard/carving questions

Just remember that carving a curly maple back isn't the same as a pine or even spruce top meaning the direction of the cuts. Curly maple carves better with the curl direction than with the grain...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridges for electric mando-family?

Im currently, as we speak, building an electric octave, 18" scale like what Mann and Rono make, and upon advice got a five string electric octave bridge from Moongazer. It already has the slot built...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin bridges??

This simply an observation but, some points made are apples and oranges. Maple [Henry] vs. ebony, the shape such as the Cohen [hard to tell amount of mass, exact profile vs. a traditional F5 bridge]...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: French Polishing for Dummies?

Sliebers, I also spent hours learning FP as well as struggling through other finishes but went to Endurovar which is what Marty is using. Unless he just switched, here's a recent discussion about it....
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: New bridge sounds worse than the old one?

Another thing to look at is the fit as far as the lean is concerned. A slightly forward lean sounds different than a slightly backward lean of the same bridge. Slightly backward is better Imo for...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Action Magically Lowers

Well, with the TR out of the picture, less wood or material would be less stiff so some degree, but overall we agree.
  21. Replies
    Views

It doesn't work that way. Reducing mass from the sides would only change by creating more relief by weakening if any change at all. That would make action [string height] higher. Removing from the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Just French Polish on this Sullivan?

Varnish is a term used for many finishes which are typically more durable than French polished shellac [which is actually a simple form of a spirit varnish]. Spirit varnishes often have other resins...
  23. Replies
    Views

The bigger question is what was ther relief like before and is there relief now. Is there a backbow? Either way, a truss rod adjustment can return the neck to where it was before, if there is indeed...
  24. Replies
    Views

I'm going to say it has more to do with the frets. Over time and compression, the small tabs on the tang indent the slot. When you shortened the frets and re-installed them, the tabs probably do not...
  25. Thread: wood question

by bernabe
    Replies
    Views

Re: wood question

You'll want the larger/lower part anyway so peel back the bark once it's determined to be a goner. Not sure exactly what lighting does to a tree outside of the obvious damage as I've harvested very...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4