Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

John Brosnan's Reel

I decided to give this tune a go, and in the process of experimenting with it, came up with this somewhat unique version. Pretty untraditional, but hopefully enjoyable to listen to.

(Yeah, yeah,...
  2. Replies
    Views

11th Tenor Guitar Gathering Virtual Concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyFyUiFNsCU&list=TLGGtnJLEXxJATAwNDA3MjAyMQ&t=5s

Virtual Concert from Tenor Guitar Gathering 2021

Jean Mann
    Grant Flick
    Tyler Jackson
    John Lawlor
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Hard case recommendations

Thank You everybody.
    I ended up with a Taylor GS Mini Bass soft bag.
    The width and depth are spot on. Of course the neck is long but it has a movable neck support. A single rolled tee shirt makes...
  4. Replies
    Views

A few new Parlour King photos

Strung up a pair of little Parlour King tenor guitars this week. Both heading to the US.

One is a 22" Parlour King with a banjo head.
  5. Replies
    Views

2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar!

Just got this lovely Frank Tate tenor guitar from Cafe member gortnamona/Lawrence the other day - it's an absolute beauty! This is one of my favourite jigs (written by Seán Ryan), and always the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Parlour King 19" tenot

Its been ages since I started this instrument, but I've been slowed down by the weather of late - it's been very humid here in Queensland and that has prevented me gluing things together for weeks on...
  7. Replies
    Views

Dubova tenor guitar

A while back I asked Michael Dubova if he would be interested in building me a tenor guitar. He hadn’t done one, but was was keen to try. He really is great to work with and receptive to my ideas...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor guitars

Douglas-fir, Oregon myrtle, and black walnut. Just about the favorite thing I've made.
  9. Paddy Keenan. Se Mo Laoch, TG4. Essential viewing!

The legendary piper from The Bothy Band talks about his life.
    Lots of great music.

10. Replies
    Views

Recent Session King tenor guitar

Not posted any Session King photos of late - here is one due out the shop today - mahogany back and sides, torrefied sitka top, 22" scale, tuned GDAE.
  11. Replies
    Views

Chief Francis O'Neill documentary

I was doing some research and fact checking on Francis O'Neill for this month's tune of the month over in the Newbies group and I came across a 30 minute documentary produced by the Chicago PBS...
  12. Replies
    Views

Article on Chief O’Neil

https://www.chicagotribune.com/history/ct-opinion-flashback-chief-oneill-irish-music-20200918-pxualytarfah7bvbzmhmoqpwtq-story.html

Not mandolin specific but a good article about Chief O’Neil in...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Virtual St Patrick's Day

And a poem from WB Yeats on "social distancing". Very appropriate for this St Patrick's Day-

The Lake Isle of Innisfree
    by William Butler Yeats

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Sean Casey on mandolin

Hi again , yes I have the old Topic LP of Jimmy Power where he plays the full version of The mountain Road not just the 2 part most are familiar with . He is joined by a Limerick bodhran player (who...
  15. Replies
    Views

When these videos were made Sean Casey lived in a house in Dundrum , Dublin with Frank Hogan and Noel Hill ( amongst others ) Tony Linnane was a frequent visitor and Michael Gavin the flute player...
  16. Old Silky and John Lawlor cover "Way Down in the Hole" @ TGG 10

John, as always, is superb...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voF6kaHfIGs&feature=youtu.be
  17. Replies
    Views

Darragh Ó Ciardha Ó Cinnéide

Just posted this over in the CBOM subforum, but have to post it here as well - been following Darragh since he was about 10 years old - what a player!

p6Bi9awWhP8
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Down the Tenor Rabbit Hole... (Help)

It probably depends a lot on the individual instrument as far as which one will give you the sound you want in octave versus tenor tuning. Here's a video link to a Gibson TG-00 tuned down to an A...
  19. Replies
    Views

Couple of clips of Seán on tenor banjo (think I posted these before):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iQPUzoBthQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68dXftDhHXY

There's also this commercial...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Down the Tenor Rabbit Hole... (Help)

Hi and welcome to the rabbit hole - glad you could join us! I give you my opinions as someone who mostly plays GDAE and adjacent tunings (FCGD, GDAD).

When you ask what kind of guitar is better...
  21. Difference between a tenor guitar and a plectrum guitar

I was cleaning up me laptop today and found a video I recorded in 2017 and never published. I think the reason was the sound of the Session King distorts on the recording, but I've uploaded it 'cos I...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Paddy Fahy RIP

http://journalofmusic.com/news/thoughtful-musician-and-thoughtful-composer-remembering-paddy-fahey#.XPkneuJmbBY.facebook
  23. Replies
    Views

A short tune in GDGD tuning

I know I rarely post anything much despite my rather bad GAS habit. Frankly if it wasn't for the band I'd probably lose my mandolins and uke and concentrate only on tenor.

This is my Mcilroy...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Breedlove, Tenor, Revival OM M

JC has asked me to comment on my OM. The first thing always brought up is the scale. This makes it perfect for playing in GDAE tuning. I believe if you play guitar it would seem natural if not a...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Breedlove, Tenor, Revival OM M

There was one on Reverb that just sold. Did you buy it? I had a similar model (T/Sme) that was fantastic all around but ultimately not for me, though I have enough regret that I was watching this...
Page 1 of 2 1 2