Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Here’s a little holiday music. Sorry, there is banjo content, but I have managed to bookend it with mandolin.
    https://youtu.be/K8yaBswmYOk
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Good news, bad news.

I have two mandolins. An older Red Diamond Vintage model, and a brand new Ellis Fern.
    I’m done shopping forever.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F5 Fern finish

I had a Varnished Fern from 2003 signed by Danny Roberts. It was easily the second best mandolin I have ever owned. I reserve the top spot in my collection for my Red Diamond Vintage model.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Post photo of your Stickered Cases

Don’t really want any stickers on this one…165238
  5. Re: anyone own one of the Nugget/Collings A Tim O'Brien mandos?

Yeah, this is a problem every player should have. Which one should I play? I solved that problem by having both of them out at the same time.

I learned a lot about setup from this mandolin. It...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: I don't like the sound of tremolo.

Tremolo was the technique that saved my mandolin playing. I had been struggling with being able to get any speed for a long time. Then, one day I noticed that when I played tremolo, I used a...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Introducing the Sorensen VX

Okey-dokey. I ordered one.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: a Blue-Chip moment

Hinde
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: New Red Diamonds at Morgan Music

I love Red Diamond mandolins. Before I bought mine, I was on a quest to acquire a Gil. After getting the RD, that quest was quenched.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Any Ex-Banjo Pickers?

I have actually all but given up the mandolin in favor of playing banjo. I find that it is easier to keep up than the mandolin. When my wife and I do our duet shows, she told me she actually prefers...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Kicking off songs

I'd say it depends. If you don't know the melody strong enough to convey it to the rest of the jam, you can always play a turn around. I like to hear the melody of a tune rendered recognizably in the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Dismantle all the strings

You're supposed to clean these things?
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings Varnish owners- a few questions

Some people claim the varnished instruments sound more mature when new, and break in sooner. Some people say that's a bunch of hooey. I'm in the camp that believes in varnish instruments. I've had...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Some makes and models of single mics please

I use the AT4033, but I think it's important to point out that unless you have the knowledge and/or equipment to control these mics, none are going live up to your expectations. I found that a...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Cafe hat signatures?

Here's a project I started many years ago. I was going to take the top of this case off, and put it in a shadow box, but it has been hidden away in the basement for years.
  16. Re: Interesting observation on F style vs. A style

I prefer the mandolins that have eight strings.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

http://youtu.be/j79ybReWJNI

http://youtu.be/Qwe2EJjNrQs
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chip. lose it and see how it affects you

I have never lost one of my Blue Chips, but I have a number of the same models, so according to the way my luck runs, I won't ever lose one, or wear one out. All my spares will be rendered...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Tell me about your Red Diamond

My Vintage Model is voiced like a Reischman. Clear highs, and cutting ability, plenty of volume. I had also owned an A model with the vintage 22 voicing. I wish I had never let it go. Pretty...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: One tip that changed everything

When I discovered that I could play faster by tilting the pick rather than striking the string with a square pick stroke.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Ear Trumpet Microphone

They do seem to be all the rage these days with bluegrass bands. I worked for a pro sound company last year at a festival where a band showed up with one. I wasn't blown away with the sound of it....
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Closed hand picking

I don't think Adam Steffey actually recommends posting as being the best way to play. But somewhere in his learning process, he decided that it works for him...and quite well. I don't post or anchor...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Closed hand picking

My point was that advising someone that there is only one right way to play, is ridiculous. Chris Thile has stated that he believes there is only one right way to hold the pick. Maybe for him, that...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Charts - I think I have this wrong

I would use the word, "charts", to refer to a chord chart of a tune showing it in either actual chords or Nashville numbers with timing being a part of the chart. If it was written music, I'd refer...
  25. Re: What to do with your old dead battery Snarks !

Is this from the angry guitar player?
Page 1 of 2 1 2