Week #432 ~ Cider Mill

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week we had a measly 3 voters! I'm going to assume it's because it's summer and people are busy.... or is it that we are finally working down to the end of tunes to have.... after all, 432 weeks IS a lot of weeks!

Anyway, Cider Mill was the winner, and it was submitted as an Old time "D" tune.

This link gives some info on the tune, and has a video of the Foghorn String Band It says that it is also known as: Cider, Cider Mill, Down to the Cider Mill, Stillhouse, Down to the Stillhouse, Old Stillhouse. Key of D usually. Two parts. The high part is like Liberty. There are versions by Tommy Jarrell, Matokie Slaughter, and Reed Martin and these seem to vary in the second (lower) part.

I'm not having luck finding notation...

2. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

This is a nice simple song in the key of C. The chorus reminds me of "Polly put the Kettle On."
  3. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    love it Maudlin, for some reason it reminds of the theme to the old tv show, when the boats comes in.
  4. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    "Thou shalt have a fishy on a little dishy x3 When the boat comes in." Yes its the same idea of a phrase repeated three times with a tag on the end.
  5. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    yeah thats the one, the sweeneys men do a nice version of it.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ukulele bass played acoustic? I wonder how that sounds!
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I was JUST watching this and it disappeared on YT...was it you? or me?
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I have just been looking right now and it's there, Ginny. Fine playing, Simon.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Hi Ginny and John how are you doing?
    Weather here finally warming up, for another week at least.

I think its the ciderrrrrr -or the internet, terribly slow here in S. France and in parts of the UK apparently.
    (Lots of sugar in French cider by the way)
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great playing Simon!
  11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice, fluent playing, Simon. The Ukulele bass is nice but to low-voiced in the mix.