New Land

1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    This tune was on the same sheet as Dark Island, so I thought I might try it. Harmonically, it is a little more complex than most fiddle tunes. It has that chromatically descending root note on a minor chord.(Like in the Beatles' Michelle)
    On Youtube, you can only find squeezebox versions, among them David Hansen and his concertina.

One technical question: how can I make my videos appear in the same size as yours?
    Mine always are larger, which seems kind of boastful-
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A new tune to me, Christian, and well played as always. Your blend of mandolin and guitar is always very enjoyable.

You are probably using a different basic template for your videos. I think most of mine are in 640 x 480 format (what my camcorder is set to), or 640 x 360. You may be using a 720 width with corresponding height. Not a problem, and certainly not something for you to worry about. We probably all click on the full-size button on the bottom right of the video to fill the screen anyway for more enjoyable watching.
  3. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I liked everything about it, especially the minor chord influence.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    A fine recording as usual, Christian. No problem with the different size of the video thumbnail.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine! Christian.
    I often watch vids at 360p max, my connection is pretty slow, so at that picture quality they load within ten minutes!
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, Christian! I don't think I've heard that tune before.

Regarding the size of the embedded video, the Cafe software has two different ways of embedding video clips. If you do it using the "insert video" button, you get either a smaller 4:3 frame or a larger 16:9 frame, depending on your video format. If you use the "Youtube" button (only available under "Go Advanced", not "Quick Reply"), it will always create the smaller 4:3 video frame -- 16:9 video will have black bars to make it fit.

Scott has in the past said he prefers us to use the "Youtube" button. This is because the other option will not automatically update if Youtube changes their scripts, which is one reason why many videos in old threads don't work any more (the other reason is that the owner may have taken the video down).

Martin
  7. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks for this info, Martin.
  8. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Yes! New tune to me also. Very gently played, just the way I like. Kudos.
  9. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks to all and esrecially to Martin for the explanation. Next time I'll post, I will go advanced.
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Martin, that is an interesting piece of information re the video sizing. Every day I still learn something new and valuable, so thanks for the explanation.
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Christian: If you do use the other method, also note that the "Youtube" button takes only the 11-digit Youtube video ID in the dialogue box, not the entire URL. Another difference to the "Insert video" button.

Martin
  12. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I use the “+ Reply” button every time if a post a video ore a link. It leads to the “Reply to Discussion” window as well as the “Go Advanced” button.

The main advantage for me is the possibility to use the preview as often as I like. When I’m sure that all works properly, I hit the “Post Message” button.
  13. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Thanks for the plug Christian. Great playing by the way, I love the chords you used. This is one of those tunes, like the "The Dark Island", that needs the article in the title. You can find the dots at The Session under "The New Land" https://thesession.org/tunes/3912

So if you consider that a cittern has pairs of strings tuned in unison and a body that is shaped similarly to a mandolin, then maybe you might think that a cittern is part of the mandolin family and forgive me for not including an actual mandolin track on this lovely tune.

14. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Is the melody instrument your concertina, David? Sounds very nice.
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely production and playing,David. Listening on headphones I could hear the concertina clearly in stereo, the right-hand notes and left-hand notes coming through on their respective sides - did you have two mics for recording the concertina?
  16. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Yes Christian, it's my Wheatstone treble Aeola English concertina made in 1923.

John I mic each side of the concertina individually which results in a unique stereo separation. I stereo mic all my instruments but the separation on the concertina makes it much more noticeable in the mix.
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    No worries about the video size, Christian.
    There is a strong bodily connection in your mandolin playing (I can hear you inhale just before starting), which signifies the dedicated musician who feels what he does.

David, the concertina carries it all, as usual, and so does the mighty bass. With the concertina being almost a century old - is this all original, or did it get any repair work in all that time?
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Quote: "John I mic each side of the concertina individually which results in a unique stereo separation. I stereo mic all my instruments but the separation on the concertina makes it much more noticeable in the mix". I reckoned this was what you were doing, David. I notice it a lot when playing live with accordionists. If you want to hear the melody it is best to sit on the right of the accordion player, and if you want the bass and chords sit on the left. The concertina is fascinating to listen to when recorded in stereo as you do, with notes coming from L or R depending on which side of the concertina the note lies. I can never get my head around the idea that both hands are playing melody!
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice with the concertina David thanks.
  20. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Bertram, I was told when I bought it that it was owned by a gentleman from Canada who bought it new but barely played it, it was sold in an estate sale after his death. As far as I know the only things that has been done is a tuning and a replacement of a spring, which I had done last year. Considering the number of parts in a concertina, it is testament to the craftsmanship of another age by the time I'm 98 I fear I will be in much worse shape.