My Love Lies Sleeping

1. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    My Love Lies Sleeping is an Irish jig I learned from the St. Louis Irish music community. It's another really pretty piece that I tend to play slower than normal jig tempo.

2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Another tune I've not heard before. Can you link to any notation, or do you know if this tune goes by another name?
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    I doubt if she's still sleeping after that racket... Just kidding, that's a great tune, going on my list too... keep it up.
  4. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    I doubt if she'd sleep through that racket either, Eddie!

It's surprising how hot or sensitive the mic on my vidcam is.

I'll have to hunt a link up to that group of St. Louis folks.
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    Ah: "Under the Willows She is Sleeping"
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I know that tune from back home as "My Darling Asleep".
  7. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Jill, good call. The Session has it here.

Joe, another nice done jig. - DWP
  8. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Come to think of it "My Darling Asleep" is the title. Just can't seem to remember anything but notes! Can't even figure keys to tunes out correctly these days (referring to my miscall of the key for Squirrel Hunters)! At least I played the right tune! I've had it happen where I call a tune and play something other than the tune I called.
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Joe, it's a standing (or maybe sitting!) joke in the band that I play with... we're at practice, one will say, Ok, let's play (insert tune name here), the rest say, OK!.... then we sit around waiting for someone else to start it, cause we can't remember how to start it! But, we all have AARP cards in our wallets, too!
  10. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
  11. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Just in case anyone is interested, I just posted a great clip of a 10 yr. old lad from Co. Tipperary playing this tune (on the banjo) over in the "tenor banjo lovers" social group. Definitely worth a look.
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jill, that's so awesome, I'm going ahead and posting that You Tube video here, as well!

Not only is his playing awesome, he could give us all tips on how to look good for a video!
  13. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    I gotta get that head bobbin' thing down...
  14. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That's great. That's a killer version of the Star of Munster following up My Darlings Asleep. I gotta work on the head bob thing too.
  15. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears

Had to try Star of Munster after seeing that smug little smart aleck. He's carefree and happy while I'm locked in mortal combat with my mando. I will clean this one up and post it on its own thread. It is a classic tune.
  16. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    "smug little smart aleck"? Bit harsh there mate.

Darragh Carey-Kennedy is my hero!
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jill, I'm sure he meant that in the most complimentary (dare I say, jealous?) way! He sure makes it seem easy!
  18. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Update on Darragh Carey-Kennedy, the awesome young banjo player in the youtube clip in this thread: Darragh got first place for his age group on the banjo at the All Ireland! He also placed 2nd on the mandolin and 2nd in the "Rogha Ghleas" (miscellaneous) category! A very hearty well done to him!
  19. mikeyes
    mikeyes
    Jill,

As well he should, the little b%$% (that's the American sense of humor - not humour - that praises and evinces guilty jealousy at the same time, He really is good not matter how old he is.)

I hope Tom puts some more clips of his playing up on youtube now.
  20. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I hope so too! He's waiting on a new banjo from Tom, so maybe a demo of it once it's in his hands!
  21. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    As an offspin of the current Tripping-Upstairs/Downstairs debate, I thought I'd append this set of jigs here, because it has My Darling Asleep in the middle:

X: 1
    T: Tripping Up The Stairs
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Dmaj
    |:FAA GBB|FAd fed|cBc ABc|dfe dAG|
    FAA GBB|FAd fed|c2c ABc|dfe d2A:|
    dBB fBB|dBB fed|cAA eAA|efe edc|
    dBB fBB|fgf fed|cBc ABc|dfe d3:|

T: My Darling Asleep
    |:fdd cAA|BGG A2G|FAA def|gfg eaa|
    fdd cAA|BGG A2G|FAA def|gec d3:|
    FAA Add|FAA BGG|FAA def|gfg eaa|
    fdd cAA|BGG A2G|FAA def|gec d3:|

T: Rambling Pitchfork, The
    F2F AFF|dFF AFF|G2G ABc|ded cAG|
    FEF AFF|dFF AFF|GFG BAG|FDD D3:|
    d2e fed|ecA ABc|dcd fed|faf gfe|
    d2e fed|ecA BAF|GFG BAG|FDD D3:|
  22. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Nicely played Bertram and great set.

Around these parts we call the middle one "My Darling the Sheep" ....
  23. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Harry, that's exactly the kind of humor I expected from down under
  24. Topher Gayle
    Topher Gayle
    In the index this thread is called "My Darling Asleep" but in the thread it seems the thread is really about "My Love Lies Sleeping" - well, my post is about My Darling Asleep, hope that's OK. Not sure where else to post it.

David Hansen and I play in a contra dance band sometimes, which has a jig set that starts off with My Darling Asleep. Then it goes into Devlin's, and then Moon and Seven Stars.

At contras, you play the same tunes for quite a while, and so you get a chance to experiment a little. The dancers are cool with it, as long as you don't mess up the beat. So I came up with some harmonies.

In this quick take, we play each tune twice. The first time we play the melody in octaves (made easy by the instrumentation) and then the second time I play a harmony to David's melody. Then we switch to the next tune.

David's playing an octave Mandonator I built (well it's not quite done) and I'm playing a regular one. You can find out more about them at my website if you like: http://www.tophergayle.com

25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This made me want to get up and dance.... and I don't even know how!!!! I love the sound of these two instruments playing melody together! Who needs a rhythm accompaniment, anyway!

I'm sure you've also awakened a new-found longing for a Mandonator (or two) in many cafe members! I realize that these are completely custom, and anything goes, but could you give us an estimate of the price range of these beauties??
  26. Topher Gayle
    Topher Gayle
    Thank you so much for your very kind words!

You're right, each instrument is custom made to the specs of the player, from neck shape to inlay work to the string arrangement. The range is from I guess about $2400 to about $3000, plus a case and shipping and taxes (if applicable). I have not shipped outside the US and do not know how customs and duties and stuff would affect the price. Someday I guess I'll have to figure all that out!
  27. gortnamona
    gortnamona

lovely jig this played on the 1960s stella tenor
  28. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Sweet sound, Lawrence.