Week #226 ~ Chinquapin Hunting

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    From what I can tell, there are two different songs going by the title Chinquapin Hunting. Butch Baldassari transcribes a two part tune in the key of D in his book, 30 Fiddle Tunes for Mandolin. There's also a 3-part crooked tune people fiddle in A and sometimes play in AEAE tuning. They're both really nice but don't seem related to me at all.

Here's a great mandolin lesson on the version in Butch Baldassari's book. It starts off fast, takes the melody slowly and finally goes over the chords.

Here are Adam Steffey and Sierra Hull playing that version...

Now for the other tune--here's a helpful fiddle lesson on the crooked 3-part Chinquipin Hunting in A

Here's that version fiddled by Bruce Molsky. So fun!

And here's a great mandolin version by Greg Clarke
  3. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    I really love this tune (both versions, that is!) and have been working on it for awhile. Until I get of my lazy butt and post something here's a couple of more videos to choose from.
    Mando Mania (and mistakeingly called "Chick that Went Hunting," though I can see how the poster thought that!)

One interesting thing about this version above is the G major 7, a chord that's pretty rare in fiddle tunes.

And here's another version of the crooked old-time version by one of my favorite mandolin players of the day, Joe Walsh (he's the one the kicks off the other version in Mando Mania, also)
  4. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Here's my version with characteristic flubs!
  5. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Nice work, Rob. Flubs? The only characteristic I hear is your powerful picking and great tone.
  6. Dan Krhla
    Dan Krhla
    I *love* the tone of that mandolin in one of the top videos with the two gents with the dapper hats! wow.
  7. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    It is going to be a busy week so I decided to put this out early. I am going to continue to work on this tune. I didn't really care for it at first but I am liking it more and more. I am not fully pleased with this current clip so I may revisit this tune later. Loved all the versions thus far and the examples posted. I have been watching them all and will continue trying to glean all I can.

8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Excellent picking from both Rob and Sasquatch. The bar is set mighty high this week!
  9. Dan Krhla
    Dan Krhla
    As I am picking through Butch's version, I find myself wondering what exactly is a Chinquapin? Thought it was a tree or a plant. I see wiki agrees but it can also be a sunfish? Why are we hunting them? What are we to do when we catch, trap, shoot or hook one? Anyone know what's going on here?
  10. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Nice picking, Sasquatch! What is that mandolin you're playing anyways? Thanks Michael and Manfred for the kind comments!
  11. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Thanks Rob. The mando is a Singleton F5 built by my great friend Otis Singleton in Centerville, IN. This piece was built in 2002. I also own an older Singleton F5 he made in 1982. The 02' wasn't played much for its first 8 or so years so it really is just now breaking in. I am currently tinkering with string combos on each mando trying to find the right response. I play both at different times for different tunes or to reflect a different feeling. I truly feel blessed to own these instruments from a great luthier and friend.
    Btw, I really enjoyed your take on 'Chinquapin Hunting'. I was paying particuliar attention to your B-Part and trying to glean what I could. Thanks
  12. JLewis
    JLewis
    When I was a kid in east Texas we would gather chinquapin nuts early in the fall. They're related to the American chestnut. The nut looks something like an acorn except it's covered with a spiney husk instead of a cap.
  13. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    There may be reference to "Chinquapin Hunting" in "hokum" music. I think maybe early Gary Davis?

Here's my melody line - at least the one I use when I (rarely) play this tune. I hear the other version more often in local jams (don't know it much either).

f-d
  14. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Very nice pickin', Rob, Timothy, fatt-dad. Well done!
    I hate to miss a week but wont have one this week.
    Kris
  15. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    What driving renditions, Rob and Tim. Super! I really like the relaxed melody line from FD too. Very clean picking.
    I guess Jeff and I get to have the first crooked 3-part Chinquapin Hunting for the week. It's in G instead of A because I keep this mandolin tuned to GDGD.

16. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Haven't posted in a bit, been practicing other pieces but I have been meaning to learn this one for some time so thought I'd give it a shot. I took the music notation off the Mandozine tabledit site and played with it a tiny bit. Loved the versions by Rob, Tim, FD, and the crooked version by Marcy/Jeff. I don't know how you come up with those variations Tim...

BTW: The pictures are from one of my favourite places - Cape Hatteras, North Carolina. I spent a lot of time there in the past windsurfing, fishing, and hiking. For me the title 'Chinquapin Hunting' brings up memories of the area since Chincoteague (Eastern Shore of Maryland) and Chicamacomico (Outer Banks) are names that draw me back.
  17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    It's really been an education this week, I had no idea there were so many ways this was played. Wonderful work from everyone. I learned it mostly from Adam Steffey's "New Primitive" CD and a couple of other YouTube sources, so here's how I've been doing it:

18. laura809
    laura809
    Wow! That was great OS. The new mando really suits this one. Marcy and Jeff, is that version a totally different song, or are some elements of it the same. Either way, it sounded great. Woodenfingers, I'm working on a version very similar to yours. Beautiful photos.
  19. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks Laura, I think the only thing related about the song Jeff and I played and the one everyone else played is the title. At the top of the page I listed two versions like ours, one from Bruce Molsky which you'll like since your into the fiddle. There's a great mandolin version from Greg Clarke too. I learned this one because it sounds so awesome on the fiddle and also I wanted to work on tunes in AEAE.
    Really nice playing David and Wooden Fingers. This week sure has a lot of great versions.
  20. jonny250
    jonny250
    As Laura said: "WOW"! some really cool versions of this songs. OS i also have been trying to tune in to the Adam Steffey version - i recon you nailed it
  21. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    "Chinquapin Hunting" is used in the Reverand Gary Davis tune, "Little Boy, Little Boy Where'd you Get Your Britches." Interesting, there's an old-time fiddle tune of a very similar title. I thought RGD's' "Little Boy" was like a hokum tune, but it may be more ragtime. When I get home tonight, I'll type the lyrics that reference chinquapin hunting. All the words will be "PG" rated, but that does't mean the thought being conveyed has such a family-friendly rating. This is why I think the credit to the tune should go to Gary Davis, 'cause he likey hadn't quite had his conversion experience.

The YouTube version of Davis's "Little Boy" conveys one of the lines I'll type up tonight, but you may not quite pick up on the lyric.

Love the versions of this tune. My tempo was not dance speed and I'm o.k. with that. When I get going on this tune though, it tends to speed up by lap 3. I spared you all such frenzy, by just doing one lap.

f-d
  22. jonny250
    jonny250
    Well i thought i had better get my attempt at this tune in as its Thursday already - as always i need another year on it lol
    i used 'band in a box' to back me up, its all a bit random and i suddenly realised i was at the end lol:
  23. laura809
    laura809
    Nice job Jonny. There was a lot of variation in there. I just discovered the iReal Book application, and I have a feeling I am about to get really lazy about making backing tracks.
  24. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very creative stuff here, jonny and David. And real nice tone there, David.
    Fatt-dad, good to see you posting again. Very clean picking and good tone.
    Laura, nice tone there and your own touch. Yes, back-up tracks are very convenient. If I had to create my own tracks with my limited guitar skills, I would never get anything posted.
    Not crooked at all, Marcy and Jeff!
    Good effort, Woodenfingers. Sasquatch, I particularly like it, when you play higher up on the neck. I always feel like a snail when I watch your videos.
  25. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Here is my attempt. 'Metronome' provided by back-up track.

26. jonny250
    jonny250
    Very neatly played Laura, sounding good. Manfred that sounded very smooth
    Laura, i had a look at the ireal app for a bit and there are loads of pre-made tracks plus you can make your own, but the available bluegrass sound is a bit poor imo.
  27. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    There seem to be a number of ways to play the Baldassari version and no notation out there. I like them all but it would be nice to know what the original intent was.
  28. jonny250
    jonny250
    Jim, i sent you a message...
  29. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Got it thanks.
  30. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    I finally got a version of Chinquapin Hunting going on my Gray A-5.

https://soundcloud.com/nic-gellie/ch...on-my-black-a2

Sorry folks I only recorded in Audio on Soundcloud. Next time I will be recording on Youtube.

Thanks

Nick
  31. masa618
    masa618
    I'm very interested in this tune " Chinquapin Hunting" having two different melodies. It seems that the key is different from the version of D and key of A. About this difference, Please tell me about roots, such as composers, if anyone knows.