English Folk and Traditional Tab music

1. sean cannon
    sean cannon
    if anyone has any Tab of English folk or Traditional music ive created this group so we can share , i am looking to learn and cant seem to find much
  2. JayA
    JayA
  3. sean cannon
    sean cannon
    yes i go there constantly but there seems to be more Irish and Scots music thanks for putting the link up though
  4. mquimpy
    mquimpy
    I couldn't find any way to reply to you other than joining your group, so what the heck. I love Irish music, so why not. I found this link. There's not a lot and you probably already know the site, but just in case...here it is:

http://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/tab/tab4.html

I just edited this. I misunderstood and thought you were looking for Irish tabs. Duh.
  5. sean cannon
    sean cannon
    yes im a member of Nigel gatherers forum it is great for trad scots music and he is a wealth of information and everyone on there is friendly i would highly recommend it to anyone interested in celtic music not just mandolin , but im looking for trad English music ie music from England
  6. mquimpy
    mquimpy
    Hi Sean, I still feel like an idiot for what I posted yesterday. I was doing a million things at once and thought I had everything under control. How I messed up that post so bad has still got me wondering.

I'm always looking for mandolin music of all kinds (tabs especially) so I will keep my eye out for traditional music from England for you.
  7. Quiller
    Quiller
    Hi Sean,
    I have also found it difficult to find Mando tabs for trad English tunes. I think that it comes down to the fact that the Mandolin is not usually associated with English folk music. It is a great pity because there are some terrific English Mandolin players (eg Chris Leslie, Katriona Gilmore, Phil Beer etc) but they tend to be better known as Fiddle players. There are lots of tabs for Irish / Celtic music but this is not quite the same thing. The Trad Music Library link already mentioned seems to be about the best I've come across. If you can read standard notation then fiddle tunes might be another way in
  8. Quiller
    Quiller
    Hello again

I came across this web site set up by Ben Farmer in Morecambe, Lancs.

http://benfarmer.co.uk/

It features a variety of musical styles, but there are a number of English Folk Mandolin tabs on the site (look under the Workshops tab). The Rochdale Coconut Dance (workshop 2) is easy to pick up and fun to play. The arrangement is very similar to that used by Spiers and Boden if you are not sure how it should sound

Q
  9. sean cannon
    sean cannon
    thats excellent thanks a lot
  10. velo
    velo
    Sean,

try 'Halshaw Music' run by Tony Sullivan (Tenor banjo player). I have his music book 'English and Scottish Tunes' which is tabbed out for tenor banjo/mandolin. He has many other music books that might interest you.
  11. sean cannon
    sean cannon
    deffo going to look for that velo thanks a lot