Week #21 ~ Wayfaring Stranger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm having to announce the winner a couple of hours early this week....

Wayfaring Stranger.

I'm headed out the door, but if no one has posted links to ABC, Tab, or notation, I'll put some up later today!

This tune has already had two discussions as "Other Tunes"..

Click here to go to the thread started by Eddie Sheehy

Click here to go to the thread started by Shawn Gambrel
  2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's the Mandozine tab.
  3. billkilpatrick
    sheila B. devotion ... "spacer" ... ahhh!:

4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OK, here's my version. I know I can't compete with anyone else's fancy version, and I can't sing, but I took this opportunity to work on playing up the neck, using FFcP, and working on my tremolo! I realized using FFcP, I could play this tune almost anywhere! But, I have been playing so little over these past 6 weeks, and am just getting my callouses back in shape, and my fingertips are JUST about bleeding, so I went ahead and videoed and submitted...

5. billkilpatrick
    barbara - soulful and arresting - great stuff.
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    ooh, I love the tremelo, Barbara - well done!
  7. Eddie Sheehy
    That's beautiful Barb.
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks so much! Getting ready to head to Des Moines for band practice, then spend the night, and get up early in the morning to head for an event we look forward to every year... The Friends Of Old Time Music annual Fiddler's Picnic, in Iowa City, Iowa. Weather looks to be good, 70's; what could be more fun than hanging out on the last day of summer in beautiful Iowa, jamming Old Time tunes! Looking forward to meeting up with those of you who are going to make it!
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I like that very much, David, I don't think you need to do it over, it's great just like it is.
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, that was wonderful!
  11. Eddie Sheehy
    Cool version Dave.
  12. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Here's mine...

13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Chris, as always, excellent!
  14. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Here is my try. I don't ever do breaks during songs, this is the first, so it is rough.

15. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Nice job Chris! I tried that version. I just couldn't do the whole up the neck thing! But you nailed it!
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kyle.... that was great! You nailed the 'feel' of the tune.....
  17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Some very cool licks in there Chris, I liked that a lot. And Kyle I think your first break turned out pretty good. Here's mine. It's a very dark and rainy day here in Georgia, as it has been for about a week now, so it's not hard to conjure up the required downbeat mood for this song. If you listen carefully you should hear the rain pouring down.

18. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Awesome as always OS! Here's another take on wayfaring stranger. Nothing fancy though, I just tried to keep it clean and clear. The second variation is a lot of fun to play up there on the 6th - 15th frets.

19. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, that's even better Chris.
  20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OS... your videos never fail! I have to ask about all the backing tracks.... are you playing all those instruments, or what? What all is involved in your very awesome productions?
  21. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, that's all me, I described a lot of it back in the I Am A Pilgrim thread. I just record the instruments one at a time into Sonar, a program that lets you record multiple tracks direct to disk: bass, mando chop, banjo, guitar, and then video myself with a web cam while recording the mandolin solo. It just takes the length of the song to do each track, plus a bit extra if I make a mistake, so it took about an hour or so to put it together. It helps having done it before a few times before, because I have a lot of shortcuts that save me time. Quite often, as in this case, I will use someone else's recording as the 'click track' (sometimes speeded up and in a different key, but software can do that), since then it's quick and easy to get the exact feel I want. Then when I've made all my tracks I just mute the click track, save it as a wav file and sync it with the video in Windows Movie Maker.
  22. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Nice job everybody -- Barb, David, Chris, Kyle, OS. Some sweet tremolo, good ol' Monroe licks and fine cinematography. I've been too busy playing music to play music, if that makes sense, but will try to get to it.
  23. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Wow, OS, that's something! So talented on all those instruments... just how many DO you play? I see that your earlier thread was back when I was on the road and not getting to read the posts in depth! We are all constantly amazed!
  24. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Barbara - that's about all I play: bass, guitar, banjo and mandolin, but I'm not really any good on anything but the mandolin. I've been trying to pick up a bit of fiddle, but rather half-heartedly.
  25. jamann
    jamann
    Here's a simple version of Wayfaring Stranger that I play. Not the best audio quality. Out on the road and I'm using my netbook. I'm really busy this time of the year so I won't be making too many videos through the end of the year. I already knew this version so I went ahead with this version. Hope you enjoy!

26. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    That's the chord progression I like for this tune, jamann. Sounds good.
  27. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Bringing up the rear this week...

28. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mike, that was great! Wish I could sing!
  29. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Anyone with a voice can sing. Everyone should sing!

If you think you've got a bad voice, sing in church. Give God back what he gave you!

I'll bet he loves it anyway.

If you think you can't sing, what about Johnny Cash or Bob Dylan? There's several others such as Tom Waits. Y'all can fill in others, I'm sure.

Joe's left his soapbox.
  30. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    +1 for Joe's message.
  31. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Joe, I do sing, just not well! I love to sing! But, I'm not going to subject you tube viewers to listening to me!
  32. Eddie Sheehy
    Don't expect to hear me singing unless there's been a bad frost in Hell.....
  33. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Nice job, jamann and Mike.

I love the version of this tune Tony Rice used to do, where they'd sing it slow and then kick it up to bluegrass tempo to trade solos and then bring it back down for the final chorus. It always grabbed me.
  34. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Just to prove the point, maybe those of us with no shame at all, should post videos of us singing (but I'm certain I couldn't sing and play at the same time)... to satisfy those people who say, everyone can sing! Earplugs for all!
  35. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well, most people sound terrible playing the mandolin unless they have some lessons and do some practice. Singing is exactly the same.
  36. Eddie Sheehy
    That's be a strong dose of reality... but the shame, the shame....
  37. JimRichter
    JimRichter
    A blue and lonesome day.

38. Steve Jeter
    Steve Jeter
    Barbara , I know this is a year old, but its new to me . That sounded great! , I wish my tremelo picking was as smooth as that.
    Im again trying to fix my "dancing thumb" and get some chops back ,and after hearing this I realize my tremelo is quite bad too.

Im so glad you started this group ,,, its like a forum within a forum
    Steve
  39. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jim...... wow!
  40. crisscross
    crisscross
    I used this tune as an excuse to work a bit on my tremolo. But after trying to play a clawhammer solo on my uke, this was almost relaxing... https://soundcloud.com/tele1310/wayfaring-stranger
  41. Jandante
    Jandante
    Hubby plays Wayfaring Stranger a lot on guitar, so I know the tune
  42. GHall
    GHall
    Here's our go at it. Not sure what happened to the quality of the video, but hope you enjoy!

43. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Mighty fine mandolin pickin'... that's the real deal right there!
  44. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Completely enjoyable video, GHall !!
  45. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Forum member ukrobbiej has just posted the score of a mandolin ensemble arrangement he has put together over in the Folk forum (Link) -- here is my recording of that arrangement.

Played as a mandolin quintet (two mandolins, octave mandolin, tenor guitar and mandocello).

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  46. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Such a great song... I think this arrangement has a very distinctive Peruvian vibe – and it suits it too. (Wonderful western pictures in the video also.)
  47. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Resurrecting this one because it's now the tune of the month in Newbies Group, and I decided to just improvise it today.

By way of explanation, I'm no newbie to music, and I've been singing this since I was a child. I learned it from a Burl Ives record. These days I normally play it in Bm on guitar and sing it. But now my vocal cords are shot, and I'm not sure if they'll heal or how long it may take them to heal.

I am a newbie at mandolin, and I am a newbie at improvising. What I've done here is played guitar in Bm and improvised scales and melody as best I can at this time, which is not saying much, but hey, it's fun.

48. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Very nice! Improvisation seems to me like the holy grail of music. You've found it. The improvised phrases fit the form and spirit of the tune really well.

I hope you'll be able to sing again in time.
  49. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great combination of instruments here, Mark. Your guitar backing is just what the tune needs - no more and no less. Yourmandolin picking is great and use of tremolo on the long notes again suits the tune. Your improvisation works well too.
  50. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    lovely Mark
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast