Where to start?

1. Urban_Monk
    Urban_Monk
    So... I'm that new guy that's about to annoy everyone with basic questions lol. I have been bitten by the Mandolin bug. Got my first one hangin on the wall begging to be played.
    So, basically where does one even begin? ( without a teacher ) Do you just start learning songs from tab etc and eventually just "get it" ? Books ? Which do you recommend? Online lessons maybe?
    Where did you start? What do you recommend?
  2. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Hi, Urban Monk.

Fabulous to have someone else really annoying around here! You're in good company.

Where to begin? At the beginning, or course! Do you come to this with any music experience? Read music at all?

I began with the first Hal Leonard book. I came to this reading music (and with a few decades of violin under my belt, so fingerboard layout was intuitive). Even so, I thought that book was laid out well for someone who does not read music. Personally, I would urge you to learn to read standard notation—perhaps tab, too—as it vastly widens your options. It's easier to learn to read while you learn to play, rather than trying to add it later.

There are tons of online videos, and someone else with more knowledge there will be along to make suggestions. In any case, welcome!
  3. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    My favorite 'for free' resource is Baron Collins-Hill. Good beginner lessens through intermediate and advanced and a big library of tunes. Find him at www.mandolessons.com.

If you are going to read tabs, most of us rely pretty heavily on TEFView (freeware) or TEFEdit ($60). The main difference between them is that the free one is basically for loading preexisting TEF tab files to play, read, or print them. The other is a full blown editor in addition. Find either one at www.tabledit.com .

While Mandolin Cafe has a pretty good assortment of TEF files, www.mandozine.com has a lot more. Many of the Cafe TEF's are copies of the mandozine TEF's.

YouTube is your friend. You can find free lessons from bunches of folks, some wanting you to sign up and pay for more, some just wanting to help out for free. I've been a Newbie for a couple years and I am still finding more.

Finally, if you want to pay actual money, there's lots of good online teachers, in-person teachers, books, videos. Personally, I respect them all, but I really use the free ones a lot.

Welcome to the bunch. Jump in. Water's nice.
  4. Sleet
    Sleet
    Step one for me, take it down from the wall. Make pretty random noises. I guess where you start depends on where you're at. I started with no music background. In that case, I found tab for tunes I knew and played them. Pretty soon the sounds became less random and more like tunes. As close to instant gratification as you're likely to find in an instrument. I soon realized that tab wouldn't get me to all the tunes I wanted and started to read notation, not an epic leap, but an evolution. I second the recommendation for mandolessons.com - a wealth of material in bite sized chunks, as well as other online sites. Welcome! Glad you found us.
  5. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    Hey Monk:

First-off, welcome aboard!

To be as brief as possible: Despite what some people will tell you, there is no 'proper' way to learn or play the mandolin - everyone learns and/or plays a little bit differently. My advice to give serious consideration to all of the advice that is given to you, try out that advice, and then decide what works best for YOU. It all may be a little overwhelming at first, but in short time you will find yourself getting into the groove.

Another important thing to remember is to start slow - don't try to learn to play the mandolin by jumping straight into licks by legendary players; (trust me, I have seen that happen) . . . it's like learning to drive by racing the Indianapolis 500.

Play, learn, enjoy and keep us posted.
  6. Radish
    Radish
    Going by your other post, I take it you're starting from zero? Mandolessons is definitely a good site to start with. I do like Mandolin for Dummies despite having had a tricky start with it. It gives you easy tunes to start with (which is always very satisfying as you actually get to play something) together with all sorts of exercises to work on technique. And play. And have fun!
  7. Urban_Monk
    Urban_Monk
    Thanks all... Sleet, it's on the wall because my fingers are screaming for mercy lol. This morning I can tell that I better not even mess with it today.
    I grew up in a pawn shop my dad owned, and messed with instruments all the time. Never dedicating myself... just learning Tesla intros from tab etc. But, this thing... HURTS LIKE HELL to play! I'll get through it.
    Thanks for the info!
  8. Jim1hays
    Jim1hays
    If it hurts to play it, then it sounds like you are having to press too hard to get the strings to hit the frets. I recommend you take it to a music shop and have their luthier do a setup on it. Lower the action and intonation will eliminate the sore fingers. Otherwise it will discourage your playing as it seems to have done so. It cost $25.00 generally for a setup. I had an old A style mandolin that cost $65.00 brand new and the strings were so high, it hurt to play it. I almost gave up until I was informed about resetting the action and intonation which made it a pleasure to play.
  9. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Jim, you remind me of one more thing to add to my post above.

Get Rob Meldrum's eBook on setting up your mandolin (yourself) for the cost of less than $20 in tools. The most important setup tasks for a typical entrylevel mandolin are relatively easy and can be accomplished by just about anybody. Even if one chooses to have those tasks done professionally, it is well worth learning what they are, how they are done, and how they affect playability, tone, and intonation.

See Rob's latest thread here ==> https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...hlight=meldrum with instructions in the first paragraph of how to get the book. You might read some of the comments in that thread to get a sense of how highly valued his book is in the community.
  10. Jim1hays
    Jim1hays
    Hank, Thanks for the reminder. I do have that ebook and used it to setup my Washburn.
  11. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Welcome, Urban!
  12. Urban_Monk
    Urban_Monk
    Thank you, I had'nt thought of set up. The strings are very close to the fret closest to the nut ( but still have to press hard for clear tone ), but toward the body the strings are a good 1/4 inch above frets.
  13. Urban_Monk
    Urban_Monk
    The bridge is adjustable... it was high. lowered it and the action is perfect now.
  14. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    By golly, I think you are a mandolinner!
  15. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Yeah, we forgot to tell you about the callus thing. Takes awhile to build up, but once you have them, life is much easier. A good setup will make it all easier and more comfortable.
  16. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    It has been a few days since I have been here, Urban. Although a little late, I wanted to say welcome aboard!
  17. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Urban Monk. I wanted to welcome to the zoo also. I see that you have been provided solid advice already. One piece to add: picks. Try a variety of picks in different shapes and thicknesses, from oh say .85 to 1.5 one of those will produce a nicer sound than the others.

If book learning is more your style, search here for a couple of threads in the recent past. I have an embarrassingly large collection of mandolin books. From method to song books.