Week #14 Bill Cheatham

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears
    Gee Rob and Eddie, I don't know, it sounded a bit stiff and mechanical to me. I'd like to see the tune grow on me and make it my own. That may take a while. Its hard to learn a tune and individualize it in one week. Rob, after Take 3 of Forked Deer I threw my Mexican mando over the fence. Next day my neighbor had thrown this mando my way. Its a Morris A5 from over in northeast Oregon.
  2. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Wouldn't mind havin' a neighbor like you've got, Sore Ears!

(You've definitely got the artist in you bein' as critical as you are of yourself, sir Sore Ears.)
  3. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears
    "You've definitely got the artist in you bein' as critical as you are of yourself,"
    Don't we all Joe. There are guys like OS and Bernie etc. who talk about their mistakes and darned if I can spot them most of the time. Also I wish I had your chordal abilities, my playing sounds thin because my knowledge of chords is so limited. Who knows, that might even loosen up my right wrist. Chords are the next great frontier I've been threatening to explore for several years now.
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    This is a great tune, almost ready for my first take... gonna be slow and unrecognizable... the tune too, probably...
  5. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    This is my Bill Cheatham, for now at least. Perhaps I'll try it again sometime. I don't know why this tune is so hard for me to get through. Tom

6. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    It's tonight or never. (Sounds like an Elvis song.)

7. billkilpatrick
    here's mine:

8. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Here's mine. My mandolin has been gone all week and I just got it back like less than an hour ago. And I had to record this to catch up. So here is the first try. Sorry I didn't pay attention to the camera angle!

9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Your mandolin's sounding good Kyle. What a great set of four - when listening to Bill's version (which I like a lot) it suddenly struck me how similar the A part is to the A part of Liberty, just one string down and two frets up.
  10. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Yes I had the bridge adjusted and it sounds great now!
  11. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Ok. I never thought I would get it done. There are some songs that just don't vibe with a fella. This happens to be that one for me. All the more reason for me to post it.

I kinda took some elements from the fantastic version that Chris did, and a few elements from the ABC file. Nothing great, but it ended up being fun to play.

Anyhoo, here's what I got this week:

12. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    The tune might not gel with you but you seem to be gellin' with it, Hastyman!
  13. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Wow! I just logged on to this string after a week! I spent the last half hour listening to all the cool versions of the tune -- its great fun:
    Chris (interesting like always); Barbara (great job); Joe-TN (very nice version); Joe (love that guitar insert! --how many guitars do you have?!); David (very cool on the octave!); OS (wow you da man!); Susie (I liked your version -- you got some nice double stop sounds in there); Ken ( I wish I could do that with a guitar); Joe Nobiling (love that ole Gibson you really get some sound out of it); KTB (thanks for the demo -- sweet notes); Jordon (fantastic! I love my Fern but I WANT a Bush model); Tom Tax (great!); Mike Romkey (fantastic as always - we you listening to the rhythm in the head set?); Bill (great original version); Kyle (you 're doing great!); Hastyman (I liked it). If I missed anyone is was not intentional.

OK I'm caught up and motivated to try my hand at this tune.....
  14. jamann
    jamann
    I've really enjoyed watching all the different versions of Bill Cheatham. Nice job on all of them!

Well, I may as well throw in my version of Bill Cheatham. Hope you enjoy!

15. Eddie Sheehy
    I really want to learn to play it well but I gotta lay down my marker, as I say. It can only get better. Now If I only could speed up the first parts as fast as the last part...

Played on a Bluett F4.

16. Susanne
    Susanne
    That's a cool version, with the tremolos!! Well done and keep up the good work!
  17. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Eddie - some pretty neat interpretation of old "Bill Cheat 'Em".
    I especially like the way you ripped into it at the end -- some fine tone ideas there! --I really love the look and sound of that mandolin. Bravo!

Jamann I like yours for exactly the opposite reason!! You are playing the "classic" Bill Cheatem and it is great to hear since so many of us in learning have been all over the map on it.

Bill Cheatem of course is not a Monroe tune but it is like a Monroe tune in that it lends itself to so many different ways to play it -- I like being reminded of the actual melody
  18. TDMpicker
    TDMpicker
    I've been gone a couple weeks. Thought I would toss my pick in the
    pile on Bill Cheatham.

Any mistakes are inserted at the whim of the musician.
  19. GTG
    GTG
    Well, I had fun with this one. I recently got a Boss GT-10 multi-effects box to use with my electric guitar. This is the sort of damage it can do to a poor unsuspecting mando. Set phasers to stun!
  20. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    The variety is REALLY getting to be a TREMENDOUS bit of FUN!!!!!
  21. scoutniagara
    scoutniagara
    Great playing Old Sausage. I never heard the mistake....it all sounded wonderful! :D A+
  22. TDMpicker
    TDMpicker
    I've been playing this tune for awhile.
    Here is a go at the tune played on my recently acquired The Loar LM-400

23. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice work TDM, that Loar sounds good!
  24. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    I've been wanting to learn this on some instrument for years. Mando was the unfortunate victim! Yes, there are some issues with this recording (like forgetting to play the B-part a second time on the first go 'round). But I was tired of coming up short of my version of perfection and decided to go with what I have. I can't remember where I got the score I worked from, but it seems pretty similar to Mike Romkey's version above.

25. Susanne
    Susanne
    Wiii I'm back at posting tunes!! I made a list of the totw tunes that i can possibly play or learn to play and will play them one at a time... here's my Bill Cheatham. Sorry for the ugly chord in the beginning, I accidentally hit the G strings...

26. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I'm glad you and Martin are keeping this one alive for a while, Susi. I want to learn those chords you put in. Congratulations on getting such a smooth and relaxed feel to your recording. For some reason, this tune gets me tangled up more than others.
  27. Susanne
    Susanne
    Marcelyn, I used to have HUGE problems with this one. I guess it's only a matter of hours with the mandolin... and with the tune. The chords are easy. They are only double stops, really. The first one is D strings 2 fret, A strings, 4th fret, the second one is A strings 5th fret, E strings 2nd fret.
  28. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X:1
    T: Bill Cheatham
    C: R-50
    C: Old-Time, Bluegrass
    M: C|
    Z:
    R: reel
    K: A
    "A"E2c2 c4| cBAc BAFE| "D"F2d2 d4| fgaf ecBA|
    "A"E2c2 c4| cBAc BABc| "D"dcde fgaf| "E"ecBc "A"A4 :|