Week #9 ~ Salt Creek

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Very cleanly played.
  2. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Nicely done. You have such a relaxed camera presence, too. What's your secret?
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks! I can't say... I was actually sweating, and have an ear infection, and can't hear anything out of my left ear!
  4. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Don, Ole Sausage, Barbara -- great! This idea of hearing others play this song so many different ways is a lot of fun.

I wanted to post last week but my RCA video stopped working -- new batts did not help -- so I tried changing them again this morning and away we go --a bad new batt?

Anywho here is my shot at it -- its at 220 bpm and should probably be more like 260 -- but I have to throttle down for the "video decrement effect" that so far I have not been able to shake -- kind of irritating........
  5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Good work Bernie, you seem to get better every time - you must be getting the hang of the video thing.
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I was wondering if videoing from that angle, where you aren't looking at the camera, makes it easier to ignore it, thence avoiding the video jitters....
  7. Shawn Gambrel
    Shawn Gambrel
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Shawn, you can imbed your you tube videos directly into our discussions, rather than having to link to them. You copy the code where it says 'embed' on your you tube video, then in your message, you click the 'tube' icon at the top, paste the url into the widow that opens, and click OK, and there it is. (I usually preview it to make sure it's what I was intending!)

I'm going ahead and embedding it for you here...

9. Shawn Gambrel
    Shawn Gambrel
    Thank you very much no one has ever helped me with that
  10. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Great Shawn! Flying fingers -- they are going to arrest you for going 135 in a 55 zone! Thats pretty fast.

That looks like a new F-5 G. Where did you do that recording? The price tag is still on the mandolin!
  11. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    I bet he's related to Minnie Pearl.
  12. Shawn Gambrel
    Shawn Gambrel
    Yes haha it is and its a Hoss. I went to the Gibson Showcase in Nashville and was on the search for a new mandolin. That was the 2nd best sounding mandolin out of all of them there. There were 15 including Sam Bush, Ricky Skaggs, F-10, Gold Rush, Alan Bibey, And some Jam Models. The Best sounding mandolin they had was the Jam model imo !!!
  13. Susanne
    Susanne
    I think I'm getting old - I think all those young ones play way too fast and they destroy the tune. I didn't enjoy the videos until at the Sam Bush and down.

For all the cafe renditions: well done, everyone!! Bill, I'm glad you put your video back. It's lovely! But are you playing with your fingers?

I did a little attempt here, messing around about 10 times with the camera to get it placed well so that you could see both me and the mandolin. It turned out that after 10 attempts I just wanted to get the thing over with so I look like a jerk on the video, and ended up choosing another of those attempts.. you'll see my face some other time.

Listening to the recording now, it sounds pretty unsmooth and I do an oopsy at the end, but at least it's not too bad.

14. billkilpatrick
    sounds ok to me ... "playing with my fingers" indeed! - that, madame, is my super-duper, de rigueur, don't leave home without it, power grip ... using a "heavy" fender pick (with too rounded points - must sharpen them up.)

i know what you mean about positioning the video - i like to put it as close as possible to the instrument so that it can be heard.
  15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice job, Susi.
  16. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Congrats on the great first video to the group, Susi! Nice job, and the Flatbush sounds great. I like the great right hand movement and nice vid. editing!
  17. Shawn Gambrel
    Shawn Gambrel
    I can play better fast then slow
  18. Susanne
    Susanne
    Thanks! Rob, I just now noticed my right hand movement... it's very regular!! The video editing can easily be done with iMovie (or Windows movie maker if you're a Windows user). I'm having great fun with video editing - a pity I also need time to play music, otherwise I could sit 3 weeks day and night just editing movies!!!
  19. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    susiakasinead, "...I just now noticed my right hand movement... it's very regular!!"

I noticed that too -- in fact I think you have great wrist action and therefore a very smooth presentation. Good one!
  20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Susi, I just wish video editing were simple for me! For some reason, my windows movie maker is corrupt or something, and I've tried using the online video editing programs, and they just make me feel like a complete dummy, unable to figure them out at all! So, my videos are completely unedited!
  21. Susanne
    Susanne
    Barbara, you need a Mac computer!!!

Shawn, regarding fast or slow, I liked your recording even if it was fast. I really enjoyed the intro - a sort of bluegrassified oldtimey potatoes start!!! Very nice with those slides. Keep on rocking!
  22. Shawn Gambrel
    Shawn Gambrel
    Thanks Susi what kind of music do you play if you dont mind me asking
  23. Susanne
    Susanne
    On the mandolin mostly bluegrass and oldtime and some country, if I have to some Irish music and I play other stuff on other instruments.
  24. Shawn Gambrel
    Shawn Gambrel
    Haha thats what i play i do some alan jackson
  25. Susanne
    Susanne
    that's cool, have you recorded any of that?
  26. romkeymm
    romkeymm
    Alright here's my first go at it, I knew I could justify buying the new iPhone for the video recording somehow! Never wanted to play like a girl so much after I saw Sierra Hull play this song btw...

Enjoy!

27. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Very nice romkeymm! Your insturment sounds good as well -- looks like a clamshell tailpiece? What are you picking on?
  28. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Excellent work, romkeymm!

This week is a bit of a cop out for me - I haven't had much time to work on tunes recently, so I figured I'd throw together an audio only submission. This took about an hour to record and edit - it's me on both guitar and mandolin. Enjoy!
  29. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    He's picking on what used to be his ol' pa's 1951 F-12. Stock tailpiece cover.
  30. DavidHowell
    DavidHowell
    I felt the need to stand up for this song. However, I don't have a mandolin strap. So i had to use my overly large guitar strap and rubber band it. Here's my take.

31. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well done Ken_P, I did enjoy as a matter of fact, very nice guitar work especially, wow.

And romkeymm, an excellent job, you really did play like a girl.

And your video appeared while I was posting that David, nice work too.
  32. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Matt... that was awesome! I hope someday one of my grandchildren will have an interest in the mandolin... and that I'm still alive & pickin' to play along! You young folks are putting many of us senior citizens to shame! Looking forward to more videos.... glad our group could help your need for the new iPhone!
  33. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, great work! You'll need to keep an eye out for a REAL mandolin strap! I (and I notice many others here) wear our instruments strapped even when sitting... I love my Bailey Strap, but if as a student, price is important, I noticed there there is an ad in the classifieds (here) where you can get a decent strap in the Long Hollow Softie, for $20 shipped. I've got those (or very similar) on most my other instruments, and they are great straps.

Keep up the good work Go TEXAS!!
  34. DavidHowell
    DavidHowell
    Ah, awesome idea for the strap. Thanks David and Barbara for the feedback.

And yes, Go Texas Longhorns! I go to school here in North Carolina, but I'm a fan of Texas' college football team :P

@Ken Amazing - that was super!
  35. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ken, once again, awesome stuff! Was that just 2 tracks?
  36. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I wish I played like a girl!
  37. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    mike: He's picking on what used to be his ol' pa's 1951 F-12. Stock tailpiece cover.

Cool -- I traded off a '52 F-12 with a clamshell to David Grisman for a '35 Gibson Tenor guitar a few weeks ago -- I'm happy with the trade although I suppose the mando is worth more on paper -- but on paper is theory...
    But that old F-12 had a deep husky voice just like the one you guys have.
    Since its a '51 that was a transition year -- you could have the fingerboard on the top or raised or either the slim or chubby headstock.
  38. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Nice one David! -- that is a cute little B part you can up with there -- even so you still playing like a guy!!
    I've probably asked this before but what's the story on that mando -- its sure is nice looking!
  39. dcdan
    dcdan
    I have allot of catching up to do, both playing and trying to post and have fun here. I have only been playing mando for 6 months (I play violin clarinet and sax) so please listen ....with a kind ear
  40. DavidHowell
    DavidHowell
    Thanks - yes, the B part is pretty fun. I'm not sure if you are asking me about my mandolin because it is truly nothing special haha Its an Epiphone MM-30 from guitar center. It was only 150 dollars, but I find it pretty good for a beginner like myself.
  41. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    My humble attempt at Salt Creek.

Hmmm. Not sure what's goin' on with my vids tonite as they're showin' up with an extra minute to them and there's really nothin' there.
  42. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    dcdan, Loved it! You're the dentist, right? In my younger years, I was a dental assistant, but never for a cool mandolin playing dentist like you! Looking forward to more videos!
  43. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Joe.... very nice! Hard as I tried, I just couldn't get that slide to sound as good as EVERYONE else here did! Just not something I'm accustomed to doing!
  44. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Ditto DCdan you are sounding good! Esp for the short time you've been playing. BTW what kind of an axe are you picking on there?
  45. dcdan
    dcdan
    thanx, I do most of my "practicing" (pun sort of intended) in my private office between patients and during lunch. With the current state of the economy I should have enough time for lots of improvement.
  46. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Excellent Joe. I love that quick double slide you put in on the start of the A-part and you've got some cool double stops in the B -- I love double stops. As well that mandolin really puts out a lot of sound -- very nice all around!
  47. dcdan
    dcdan
    It is a "the Loar" LM 600. I have 2 they have a kind of wide fret board which seems to fit my hand well, which is surprising to me because I have a violin backround.
  48. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    You're no slouch for 6 months, dcdan!
  49. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Thanks for the kind words, Bernie. Sometimes it feels like I've walked into a boxing ring with that old Gibson. It does have a great sound but it's tough to play some days. I got to play a Collings for just a wee bit the other day and fretting it was like the difference between day and night compared to my Gibson.
  50. dcdan
    dcdan
    Thanks Joe ...I'm hooked...got an 8 string monkey on my back
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast