My new mando -

1. onawhim
    onawhim
    My new mando - I've called her Maeve! Paul Hathway - cedar top. One VERY happy owner with 2 very sore fingers! Mairi's wedding - I was so chuffed with Maeve - i forgot to be nervous with camera and its my best take yet - in one! I just ahd to share with you all.

2. bingoccc
    bingoccc
    A beautiful, rich sound and well played! Great song choice too. Congratulations!
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    :O :O What a beautiful mandolin! What a great performance! Congratulations on your new acquisition.
  4. onawhim
    onawhim
    many thanks for positive comments.

i went with the intention of getting the larger body one- and with a spruce top! this one sang to me - and the great thing is that i always look at the classifieds on this site but just completely lost interest now!
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    In your next video, I think you should show a bit more of the mando to the camera. I think you are justly proud.
  6. velo
    velo
    Bloomin heck....... that was brilliant onawhim .... fantastic sound and SO well played (Does the dog enjoy it too ? !!) Gosh, if that what getting a new instrument does for you, then I' down the music shop tommorrow !. Like Gelsenbury said can we see a bit more of the mando.
  7. onawhim
    onawhim
    here she is - i don't have a water leak just one noisey drinking dog!
  8. Garden Music
    Garden Music
    Lovely instrument, onawhim, and beautifully played!

Karen
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    What a beauty! And I like the strap too!

LOL, velo, I can see what you mean! Let's all hit the music shops for a better sound! :D
  10. onawhim
    onawhim
    I love this site and your comments. I popped to the pub last night and was whittering on about Maeve the Mando - and they didn't get the whole excitment thing at all!
  11. bingoccc
    bingoccc
    Maeve is a looker. She appears somewhat larger than my mandolin but they may be just an effect of the video camera. It's hard to tell for sure but it looks as though the body is carved out of one piece of wood. Meaning the back and sides are all one piece. Is that true? I like the zero fret, that takes care of any nut issues. I hope you have a good case to protect her.
  12. Nor
    Nor
    If you can get and afford a solid mando, they really do have a GREAT sound! Onawhim, it's a beauty!!!!!
  13. onawhim
    onawhim
    @Nor - she sure is. I am busy listing items on e-bay to go towards cost - and keeping my fingers crossed the car doesn't play up anytime soon! She doesn't cut across my friends guitar like the kentucky 150 i had did - but complimented it and the high notes didn't set my teeth jangling. Plus - with more sustain - more cover up on the fluffed notes!
  14. onawhim
    onawhim
    @bingocgc - ah the case - well i have an old one but am now paranoid its not good enough. But no chance of getting anything else new soon so will have to be careful - very careful. She looks like 1 piece of wood - and is a tad smaller in length than my kentucky - smallish i would say - will measure later.
  15. Wayne Bagley
    Wayne Bagley
    very nice instrument and a very nicecly played tune.

you may soon have to find a new group as you are no longer a noob.
    Nice playing. nice picking and especially excellent chording.
  16. Starfish
    Starfish
    You've got yourself a real gem there! It's beautiful, sounds wonderful and covers your fluffed notes. What more could one ask from a mandolin?
  17. onawhim
    onawhim
    I can highly recommend Mairi's Wedding to learn - its short, highly repetative and the chords are 2 finger ones - and its memorable and jaunty and loads of examples on youtube. took me about a month to get it all together - its got words too which helped with the tempo when learning. Have a go -am sure you'll love it when you get into it. This is the only tune I can do chords to - mainly because its g, c, d repetatively! I also like it beacuse it uses all four strings.

@theoldman - honestly, I've never played that well before. heres hoping it keeps up. Mind you - leaving the newbie group would be awful. I think I might have peaked!
  18. velo
    velo
    @onawhim - It looks a lovely mandolin and thanks fo suggesting 'Mairi's wedding' - I have printed off the TAB so will have a go at that tune next.
  19. scootergirl62
    scootergirl62
    Sorry to be late with the congratulations - she's beautiful! Sounds wonderful too! Enjoy - I get the feeling you'll have many happy hours playing together!
  20. bingoccc
    bingoccc
    Onawhim - You say that you can only do that one tune because it's a G C D song. I'm a long time guitar player who would describe that as a I-IV-V in G. You just learned about 10,000 songs in Rock, Folk, Country and Blues. Learn I-I-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-IV-I-I or G-G-G-G-C-C-G-G-D-C-G-G (one chord per measure). It's called a basic 12 bar blues. Now you know a heck of a lot more. That's three-chord rock & roll, country, folk, blues, etc, all are based on a I-IV-V chord progression.
  21. Canoedad
    Canoedad
    Thanks! You've inspired me. Mairi's Wedding will be the first song I actually learn. I like that there are no F chords!
  22. onawhim
    onawhim
    @bingocc - i googled this to try to understand it more and i think i've sort of got it - another glimpse of a door ajar in the pursuit of possibly (and eventually) being able to 'naturally' have half a chance of strumming a relevant chord by ear. thanks. :-)
  23. onawhim
    onawhim
    @canoedad - good luck - its got a great toe tapping element to it. good luck - and welcome.

@scootergirl - thanks. 4 days in and I can't put her down. The tune of the month is getting to sound levly on her - getting near a video take in the next week or so I hope.

@velo - look forward to another vid with mairis wedding . I tried it on my OM - but couldnt make the jump given i am not yet using my little finger.
  24. FadeOutAgain
    FadeOutAgain
    Excellente mandolins!
  25. onawhim
    onawhim
    Sore fingers was a blast. I learnt SO much. am really on the music theory trail now. I was clearly way behind everyone re skills and knowledge - but everyone very helpful. Tutor, Percy Copley, was excellent - everyone in the class (18 of us) was singing his praises. I am going again for sure - prob the october weekend next year - not sure I'd get the most out of a week. Am sure I will be buzzing from this for weeks - and I really feel like I've got a way better understanding of how to play. Its expensive - but I reckon that the lessons I had will keep me going for a while - so works out fairly ocst effective if you are paying for lessons. What I ahve come back thinking though is that I have to find a music teacher. Overall - very highly reccomended.
  26. bingoccc
    bingoccc
    It sounds wonderful. I betcha Maeve made some fans!
  27. velo
    velo
    @Onawhim, sounds like you have really benefitted from (and enjoyed) the weekend course. Was the music only 'bluegrass' or has what you learnt applied to other types of music eg Celtic ? I think you are right about going down the music theory trail - that is what I am intending to do as well. Bet you are glad you had your new mandolin before going on the course !
  28. Kevin Turinsky
    Kevin Turinsky
    Spectacular looking mandolin, Onawhim! Love that tailpiece. Very pretty wood. Impressive first-take too!
  29. onawhim
    onawhim
    @Velo = it was a bluegrass theme - but to be honest I didnt feel disadvantaged not knowing bluegrass really. the jams at night were beyond me and guess you would need to know the basics - or be good at improvising chords etc.some of the stuff sounds very celtic anyway to me - I am sure that will cause a sahrp intake of breath from bluegrass purists - but to the untrained ear like mine there is lots of overlap. The lessons in how to hold, pick and keep the tune moving along were great for any type i think. My mando looked quite different to most of the mando's - but I am still so happy with the sound I didnt care and it didnt make any difference really - maybe mine was less 'cutting' - but given I couldn't keep up that was a good thing!
  30. bingoccc
    bingoccc
    Onawhim – Don’t be shy about Maeve’s warm sound. That’s what makes her so sweet. Round holes often don’t have that cutting voice. After hearing Maeve, I’ve started looking at Big Muddy mandos so I can have one with that tone. Maybe their mahogany one.

http://www.bigmuddymandolin.com/products_mandolins.php
  31. onawhim
    onawhim
    @bingoccc - they look great - i like the mahog one - especially the lack of hole decoration. when i bought mine i never would have if i hadn't played one first - have you got the chance to do that. i went with the intention of getting the spruce top and slightly larger shape - but all that went out the window when i heard each one - subtle but clear tone differencs.
  32. bingoccc
    bingoccc
    The nearest dealer is at least a 2 hour drive away and I've yet to ask what they even have in the store. There are a couple of clips I found on You-tube but they're not the hog. I may just call the company and ask for a description of the sound then take my chances.