Week #88 ~ Atholl Highlanders

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Eddie, I always wondered what these Single Malt models sound like - now I know. Lovely sustain. Looks like the headstock design with gold tuners is taken from their Signature models. Apparently you played it one 5th below the version I know (?)

Gary, not only is it one part less, but the parts you play seem to have some extra measures that I don't know - where did you get this version from?
  2. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Hey Eddie, that's the first time I've seen you with the Scotch drenched number, sounds sweet with plenty of sustain.

Must be great at consistently slurring the notes......
  3. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    So many great versions here, I tried to get the aliens to play Bertram, but they're shy! As for Eddie's Fylde, I can taste it from here! Wonderful finish Ed.
  4. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Eddie, you were a busy little beaver yesterday. Oh, wait they don't have beavers in Ireland. Are there beavers in CA? Have you ever seen a beaver? They're busy little critters. But they can't play mandolin anywhere near as well as you. Have you ever seen a beaver playing mandolin?

Manfred, A-1!

GK sounded good. Get your wife to hold a flashlight on you, if she's allowed in the man-cave.
  5. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Father Christmas did his stuff and I now have a webcam.I dug out an old cassette featuring Pipe Major G K Roe who plays the usual first four sections and then three more. I think the idea with this type of tune is to play it through, then improvise further variations; which is what I tried -not very successfully. Played on a Savannah.
  6. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Manfred. Very nice. That's exactly what I was going for. But alas, fell short.
    Eddie. Cool mando. That's what I need a single malt. Mandolin. Keep it where it's cool and humid and it should age nicely.
    Bertram. I aint dun lernt my ABC's yet. So I went to www.traditionalmusic. The extra measures are probably from being 'hypnotised' by that red dot. Then trying to find my way home again.
    Martin. I'll see if any of my wives will come over. But, probably not, with the restraining orders and all.
    M.M. I was working to learn 3 parts and you whipped out, what, 6 or 8. Nice job.
    Gary
  7. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Duncan, great to see you got a webcam, they take some getting used to, but all in good time. I'm thinking of upgrading my setup as I'm not happy with it. I've found a harmony part which I'll practise on and try and record it soon....
  8. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    I managed to muddle my way through with the harmony part added:-

X:88
    T:Atholl Highlanders, The (Harmony)
    T:6/8 March
    B:Lowland & Border Piper's Suggested Duets & Harmonies
    C:Vikki Swan
    R:March
    O:Scotland
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    K:A
    |:A3 c3 |A3 G3|A3 c3|G3 A3|
    A3 c3 |A3 G3|c3 dcB|cdB A3:|
    |:cea cea|d2 B d2 B|cea cea|G3 A3|
    cea cea|d2 B d2 B|c3 dcB|cdB A3:|
    |:c2 A cBA|c2 A cBA|c2 A cBA|def e3|
    c2 A cBA|e2 c c2 B |c3 dcB|cdB A3:|
    |:ece ece|fdf fdf|ece ece|dBd def |
    ece ece|fdf fdf|c3 dcB|cdB A3:||

For some reason I can't add the Youtube link, so here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s50HBrFuyiQ
    Ah! You Tube has reappeared!

9. Ten_or_Fifths
    Ten_or_Fifths

As written, twice through.
  10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Tosh - I really enjoyed that with the harmony part - well done!

ten_or_fifths - nice clean picking, I see you have a capo on, are you tuned CGDA?
  11. Ten_or_Fifths
    Ten_or_Fifths
    Thanks Jill, I'm working on getting down to a 'clean speed.' It's not clean yet, but slowing down more doesn't really help. It is tuned CDGA (DAEB with the capo), but I've made progress on playing without the capo in the last few weeks.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Maestro Tosh, with that music score you're on your way to London Symphony Orchestra. Who'll be your conductor? Very classic look with the pages turning, and one page per part!

10 or 5th, I used to play a CGDA banjo for many years and my hat is off to those heros who tune that A string up to pitch without a nervous breakdown. Keep up the good work!
  13. Ten_or_Fifths
    Ten_or_Fifths
    Hi Bertram, I'm not sure if it's the string gauge but my problem string was the G at first. The new set of strings is pretty well balanced but the D seems tightest (or that friction tuner is the loosest). It may help that my banjo has a shorter 20" scale length and it came set up with a 1/2" bridge I think.

Jill, did you get the actual B&D banjo in your signature line? I read about that one when I was doing my research. It looks like a wonderful instrument. The restoration work those guys can do amazes me.
  14. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Thanks Jill & Bertram. Bertram I think you mean the Alastair Sim-phony Orchestra!!!! I bitmapped the parts from Guitar Pro and then just made it up in Windows Movie Maker. Better than the playing.
    Well done Tens_or_Fifths, Atholl is not an easy tune and I applaud you for playing it on a banjo!
  15. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    I missed this one somehow. It's a good one and the posts have been superb so far. Mine is not without mistakes, but had fun with it anyway! Played with my Newell A style mandolin.

Jim
  16. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Jim, Thanks for reviving this thread. Your playing is solid and your Newell sounds great.
  17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice job Jim, and thanks for resurrecting this thread as it's reminded me of this tune, gotta get it back into my repertoire!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12