Week #53 ~ Bonaparte Crossing the Rhine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    I like this take. Kinda gettin' jiggy with it.
  2. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    BlueMt, you've got a definite march feel happening in your version. Cool take on it.
  3. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    I figured a tune about Bonaparte and the Rhine called for a military tone. Thanks for the kind comments.

Eric
  4. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Here's my go at it on the the mandolin and mandola. This is one of those tunes that when I play by myself, I tend to get confused about how many times I've played which part. That should be evident once you watch the videos! LOL

5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Sean, those both sounded the business! I gotta find the time to try to learn this one.
  6. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Shaun, the doublestops are great on the mando version. The mandola is sounding great too--rich and full.
  7. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Both very nice Shaun. I like the mando version especially.
  8. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Here's mine on a Flatiron A5-2. I took bits and pieces of all the great versions here.
    PS: Where can you find Napoleon Bonaparte in the grocery store?

--Egg's aisle

9. Eddie Sheehy
    Egg's Aisle....lol...

Nice pickin Marcelyn.
  10. Eddie Sheehy
    Shaun, what's the scale length on that beast?
  11. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nicely played, Marcelyn, and your Flatiron sounds lovely!
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Great playing, all!

I've noticed that the versions being played, are really nothing like the ABC's of the tunes that I found early on (at least to my ear!)

But, here is standard notation for the tune that most are playing here...

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/old-time-music/001185.HTM
  13. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    Shaun, Very nice playing! Because of you and Don I'm starting to pine for a mandola.

Marcelyn, Well played! The ornaments you used fit perfectly.

Eric
  14. luckylarue
    luckylarue
    Very nice, Shaun & Marcelyn. I also like the trills/hammer-on/pull-offs, adds a lot of color to this great tune. I've been working on the Jonas version and hope to have it recordable soon. I guess I'll be the one who never turns his home work in on time.
  15. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Thanks for the kind words. This is just a really fun tune to play. And I really like the different variations we've seen. From double stops, a march feel, hammer on/pull offs. There is just so much music in these "simple" fiddle tunes. Great stuff everybody!

Eddie, it's a Kimble mandola with a 16" scale. I like that scale length. I can pretty much use mando fingering for everything.
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I've got a question. The only notation that I found (above) for the tune that we are playing, has this tune in the format of AABB, with the A's & B's having slightly different 2nd endings. OldSausage seems to be playing it in the format of ABAB. I like it both ways, and am unfamiliar with how it's usually played in gatherings (if it is...) OldSausage, is this how you play it with others, or did you find it in notation this way, or what? I like it both ways, like I said, and I think it's good to learn to be flexible when playing with others.. so I'm working on it both ways!

I'm also thinking that if you listen to Old Sausage's version, it could be considered AABB, with shorter A's & B's.... well, really, normal length A's & B's... the written out version seems to be with LONG A's & B's!

What do ya'll think?
  17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Barbara, I learned it by listening to a recording I have, on a CD called "Spirit of the Mountains", and that's how they play it.
  18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OS, I'm using your version to practice with. I'm still in Texas, no decent camera, only 2 instruments at my disposal. But one of them is my new Petersen tenor guitar, and I'm having a great time, learning both the rhythm & the melody, playing along with yours. On the videos posted, the first banjo version, is played like you play it. The Jonas version, is played with the longer A's & B's repeated. So, it seems to be whatever!
  19. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I notice the Fiddler's Fakebook has AABB as well, so maybe that's right. I've never heard anyone play this tune at a bluegrass jam so I've no idea how it's commonly done, maybe there are some old-time folk who can tell us.
  20. Eddie Sheehy
    I hadn't heard it before. I picked it up by ear from the earlier posts...
  21. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    I have heard it some. I think its is most often played AABB. I don't think it matters too much.
  22. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    Norman Blake plays it AABB, Slavek Hanzlk plays it AAB, and the Pegram Jam does it ABAB. The Pegram Jam has a website with recordings of a great many Old Time tunes that they play. You now have to register to get to them, but it's free at http://www.pegramjam.com/ There are no tabs, but there is a lot of mandolin in their Jam.
  23. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Here is the Fiddler's Fakebook version, with a few embellishments:

24. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I really like the oldtimey feel to your version Manfred. It sounded both happy and relaxed. And you got it down just in time too.
  25. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    That sounded great, Manfred! Here's my version which could be a bit better but time is of the essence these days.........Kind of made it sound like I was over-caffeinated!
  26. Susanne
    Susanne
    Wow, how many different versions! That's so cool to hear all the variations!
    Here's my take on it.

27. billkilpatrick
    ... brava!
  28. Susanne
    Susanne
    Grazie, Bill
  29. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Welcome back, Suzi! Nice to hear your mandolin again.
  30. Susanne
    Susanne
    Thanks Rob, it's nice to be back!!
  31. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Marcelyn and Rob, thanks for your kind words. I liked your playing, too.

Rob, try to play under the influence of red wine , which is my panacea for combatting camera fever.

Susi, very nice and lively picking.
  32. Eddie Sheehy
    Well played guys and gals. This sure is a catchy tune...
  33. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    To those of you still trying to work up the courage to video and post..... it really does get easier as you do it more and more. We are a forgiving bunch.... while it's nice to see and hear the almost professional recordings and videos.... it's also great to see the most simple ones, flubs & all! Also, recording & videoing is a great practice tool!
  34. billkilpatrick
    i've been practicing with this version - very slow, tempo seems to me to be how it must have been played originally:

35. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bill, at first I thought you'd had a sex change, and took up the accordian! I like this tempo.... it has a real old-time feel. Can't wait to hear your version... what instrument?
  36. billkilpatrick
    here's "a" version of the song, played on fiddle ... yes, barbara - well spotted - being a curious cove, i tried a sex change but activated the restitution clause in the contract almost immediately. didn't like it much - as katherine whitehorn said: "outside every thin woman there's a fat man trying to get in" ...

37. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    MR. Bill, that was great! The fiddle is next on my list of instruments to attempt to learn... and I expect it to be the hardest to date!
  38. Eddie Sheehy
    I like the other video better... maybe it was the accordion...

Inside every fat woman is a thin woman she has eaten...
  39. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    This tune is beginning to grow on me. I guess I'll take the time to learn it after all.
  40. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    There's a lot of discussion on the web about whether or not this tune is the same as Bonaparte Crossing the Rhine, ...the Alps, or in the case...the Rocky Mountains. I'm really confused. .. here's Bonaparte Crossing the Rocky Mountains.

41. Steve Jeter
    Steve Jeter
    I love how all of yall are playing it. So many variations . Tom T. just sent me tab,, I cant wait to start learning it. Ive never timed myself , to see how long it takes to get a tune in my head , but I think I will with this one.
    Steve
  42. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Did Bonaparte ever cross himself?
  43. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Lots of folks were cross with him it seems....
  44. Steve Jeter
    Steve Jeter
    A friend loaned me a tenor banjo yesterday, and I almost have Bonaparte down so me & my dogs ,, made a vid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CNGN7qxDd0
  45. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Steve that was great! Great playing (I'm a lover of tenor banjos!); smoker is smoking, dogs are enjoying the playing, someone lazing away in the hammock.... and are those some old soldiers I see behind you?

I'm embedding your video, rather than the link, as you had it. It's nice to have them right here in the discussion!

46. Steve Jeter
    Steve Jeter
    Thanks Barbara, yep a couple old soldiers bit the dust LOL . Until I heard Martin playing Minsterel Boy, I thought of tenors as only a Dixieland ints, that the only way Id heard them played. I needed to get my horizons widened & Martin did it for me.
    I think I will borrow this banjo , as long as the fellow lets me.
    thanks for embedding
    Steve
  47. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That sounds great on the banjo, Steve. You definitely need one of those.
  48. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Yes! That was great Steve. I'm gonna work on that.
  49. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Got it worked out. Banjo part starts a little rough.

50. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very nice, and also, interesting visual!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12