Week #1 ~ Road to Lisdoonvarna (REVISITED)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Mando_liz
    Mando_liz
    can someone tell me how to open a .tef file? for chris' tab site.
  2. Mando_liz
    Mando_liz
    oh while I was messing around looking for tab, I found http://www.abacci.com/music/tunetab....bID=12495#midi... that was really good... Can someone who knows how to read music tell me what the flags coming off the notes indicate? I am thinking that it comes in on the "and" or half beat so it would be an upstroke. Am I right?
  3. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    I don't know about chris' tab site. Do you have the tef viewer intalled?
  4. Mando_liz
    Mando_liz
    nope, I tried to install one, but it turned out it was bunk, it wanted to scan for drivers on my box. do you know of a good viewer?
  5. Mando_liz
    Mando_liz
    does anyone have the chords for this song too?
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is a link to a discussion and pics, of Dan B.'s Power Grip

The way that our band plays the Road to Lisdoonvarna, we use these chords
    Em/ - / Em / - / D / - / G / D /
    Em/ - / Em / - / D / - / Em / - /

Em / - / Bm / - / A / - / Em / - /
    Em / - / Bm / - / A / - /Em / Em /

Barb
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    MandoLiz, this looks like a good simple tutorial on reading standard music notation.

I highly recommend getting the basic idea of how to read music, it will serve you well!

Barb
  8. Mando_liz
    Mando_liz

Okay, so this is pretty rough (I don't have it memorized quite yet, and my timing was off in a couple of places) but I figured I'd post it and move on to next week. Thanks for the responses to my questions. I'm new to the mandolin. (Just got my eastman 515 today! I've been playing a fender for about a month ) I think this will be a great site to help me get some songs under my belt.
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mando_liz, that was great! You asked in the other thread, about the meaning of the / - / in the chord progression that I'd posted earlier.

Em/ - / Em / - / D / - / G / D /
    Em/ - / Em / - / D / - / Em / - /

Em / - / Bm / - / A / - / Em / - /
    Em / - / Bm / - / A / - /Em / Em /

This tune is also made up of 8 measures for the A part, 8 measures for the B part. There would be two chords strums in each measure. Originally, our band played it as such:

Em/ Em / Em / Em / D / D / G / D /
    Em/ Em / Em / Em / D / D / Em / Em /

Em / Em / Bm / Bm / A / A / Em / Em /
    Em / Em / Bm / Bm / A / A /Em / Em /

which is two strums for every measure. Then, we decided that it sounded cooler, to NOT strum that second strum, just let it ring through from the first strum. So, that's what the / - / meant....

In my opinion, in fiddle tunes, and celtic tunes, and many old time tunes, the mandolin plays the melody, and the chording is left up to whatever rhythm instruments are playing. It doesn't really involve chop chords (or at least, the way WE play them it doesn't!)

Hope this helps! Keep up the good work. For someone who hasn't been playing long, you sure can play fast!
  10. Mando_liz
    Mando_liz
    hey, thanks for the clarification on the chords and the comments on the video... I have some speed as I have been fiddling with the guitar for about a year now. (always had instruments, just started playing them...) I had a guitar teacher for about 6 months and he really focused on me learning scales and practicing. I'm glad, because it has helped my speed a lot.
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mando_liz, did you check out the link I had earlier, to the page on reading notation, which would answer your question about the flags on the notes? It looked pretty straightforward, and easy to understand.. hope it helps!
  12. Mando_liz
    Mando_liz
    yeah, I read it. I still don't totally understand, but it answered my question about the flags. I was right... they are ands (which how I have been taught require an upstroke). Thanks for your feedback. I don't mean to bombard you with questions, I am just really trying to learn as much as I can. i spend much of my day playing, and it is frustrating when you can't figure something out. '

Thanks again,

Liz
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Liz, here is another lesson on basic notation. I've found when I'm trying to grasp something new, that it sometimes helps to read someone else's explanation. Eventually, I'll get it!

With reading music notation, you need to learn where the notes are on the clef. You need to understand time signature, and note values.

A whole note is worth 4 counts
    A half note is worth 2 counts
    A quarter note is worth 1 count
    an eighth note is half of a quarter note
    a sixteenth note is half of an eighth note

This shows you what the notes look like.

(sounds like math class, doesn't it!)

4/4 time means that there are 4 counts in a measure, and the quarter note gets one count. 6/8 (jig) time means that there are 6 counts in a measure, and the eighth note gets one count. 3/4 time (waltz) means there are 3 counts in a measure, and the quarter note gets the count.

So, yes, in 4/4 time, a measure with 4 quarter notes would be counted 1, 2, 3, 4 and would be downstrokes. A measure with 8 eighth notes would be counted 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + , and would be picked D U D U D U D U.

Picking 6/8, 9/8 and 12/8 time signature (jig, slip jigs & slides) is a little more difficult... as you should pick those DUD DUD (1 2 3 4 5 6)

Questions are how we learn... don't be hesitant to ask!
    Barb
  14. Eddie Sheehy
    OK, I'm a little slow in getting in on this. Just got back from Ireland. Here goes: Firstly on the Eastman 915... Excuse the legs.. but look what Bertram got away with...

15. Eddie Sheehy
    And on the Weber Big Sky OM.. looks like the 915 got humungous...

16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie, those were great! Just back from Ireland... those Irish tunes ought to be pretty easy for you then!
  17. DryBones
    DryBones
    Mando Liz,

Try this link to get the free Tabledit viewer. I have never had problems with this one. Tabledit Viewer for .tef files

You should also get use to visiting Mandozine TAB files as most of these songs mentioned here are posted up there in .tef format
  18. Eddie Sheehy
    Barb, those tunes would be easy If I'd heard them before... Although my TLT jam introduced me to Lisdoon a few weeks ago so I wasn't totally cold. The Mountain Road and Cup of Tea (If you think it'll be tea in the cup you are sadly mistaken) are a brand new experience and I'll be playing them S_L_O_W_L_Y...
  19. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie, while so many people seems obsessed with playing FAST (and I guess, in bluegrass, that's the whole point!), I, on the other hand, prefer tunes played a bit slower, to enjoy and savor the music!
  20. billkilpatrick
    slow's good ... i like the sound of your eastman, eddie but those etiolated knees of yours are a fright.
  21. Eddie Sheehy
    Why thank you Bill....I think?
  22. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Etiolate \E"ti*o*late\ v. i. [imp. & p. p. Etiolated; p. pr. &
    vb. n. Etiolating.] [F. ['e]tioler to blanch.]
    1. To become white or whiter; to be whitened or blanched by
    excluding the light of the sun, as, plants.
    [1913 Webster]

2. (Med.) To become pale through disease or absence of light.
    [1913 Webster]
  23. Eddie Sheehy
    Aah! The Californian sun will soon change that...
  24. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie, I was thinking the same thing! I'm a little etiolated myself!
  25. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    I can play this smoothly through on autopilot, but in front of the camera I had a false start and had to think several times "Now, what comes next?!" You can tell where.
  26. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very nice, Tracy!
  27. Eddie Sheehy
    I feel your pain Tracy, same thing happens to me... very nice playing.
  28. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's my take on "The Road to Lisdoonvarna" as played on my Fletcher tenor guitar, tuned GDAE. I must admit that I cheated on this one. I already knew it.

29. willh
    willh
    Very good Job, David. I like the sound of the tenor guitar. Welcome to the group.

Will
  30. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, that was great! It's not cheating! I already knew all the tunes of the week, so far! Your guitar is awesome! But, I've got this thing about 'headless' musicians! You're gonna have to video some with your head showing... and I don't take baldness, bad hair days, or funny faces as an excuse!
  31. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Barbara

I have a bad case of what I call "box face" named after the faces that the local "box" (Accordion, Melodeon & Concertina) players make when playing. I am a box player as well so it must have transfered over to my mandolin playing. It is not a pretty site. Sort of a silent version of Tourette syndrome. Not for the faint of heart.
  32. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm not scared!!
  33. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    David that was awesome! Makes me want a Fletcher tenor guitar even more!!
  34. Mando_liz
    Mando_liz
    I love the sound of that... I have never heard (or known that I've heard) a tenor guitar... how is that tuned? (NOT THAT I NEED ANY MORE INSTRUMENTS )
  35. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Tuned GDAE, I had the opportunity to play a couple of Fletcher Tenortones when Jody, the owner of the company was in town back in April. Really lovely instruments.
  36. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    I'm catching up on old homework assignments. This was done on an Eastman Model 815.

37. Eddie Sheehy
    Nicely played Tom!
  38. John Ritchhart
    John Ritchhart
    I'll have a go.

39. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    John, very nicely played! Tell us about your sweet sounding mando!
  40. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    The Road to Lisdoonvarna.

The story about this tune I've heard is that Lisdoonvarna is a town where they hold a matchmaking festival on an annual basis (or used to). When one travels the Road to Lisdoonvarna for the matchmaking festival, its a journey fraught with trepidation, anticipation, joy, fear, expectation, and hope. Matchmaking is a generations old sideline or profession in some families. The matchmakers keep records of their successful matches. In years gone by because the work of farming was hard and from pre-dawn to post-dusk, men and women would write a letter describing themselves to the matchmaker with the hopes of being matched up. The precursor to Harmony.com and Chemistry.com.

41. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very nice playing, Joe, and great story!
  42. DavidHowell
    DavidHowell

Here is my attempt for week #1. I technically got my mandolin in January, but I've truly practiced for two weeks. This is on my Epiphone MM-30
  43. Eddie Sheehy
    Very nice David.
  44. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Good job, David. Looks like you're well on your way towards a complete infection of Mando Mania!
  45. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    These youngsters are putting us to shame! Keep up the good work!
  46. DavidHowell
    DavidHowell
    Thanks everybody. Coming from guitar and usually picking almost always down down, it's been a challenge trying to pick up and down. I've just about got the hang of it I think!
  47. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Probably the latest contribution ever made to a thread in the SAW group, but here goes:
  48. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram, that was great! I've been missing you!
  49. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Barb, I need daylight for video recording, and my daylight hours have been lost to my day job (hence its name) lately.
  50. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Nice playing. Is that a Fylde? I like the tone.

I joined the group in week #11 so maybe I should go back and catch up on a couple of the tunes I missed.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast