View RSS Feed

gregjones

Dampit or Damnit?

Rate this Entry
There's been a bit of discussion about Dampits--the green worm like humidifiers that go inside the instrument through the sound hole.

A few of the Cafe members that I trust have posted about a customer who had problems with them---mold around the sound hole, cracked f holes or water spots.

I have yet to see any of the talented and helpful builders post of several customers having problems with the Dampits.

I don't think there is a product that some individual somewhere can't use wrong or fail to follow the instructions for that product's use.

I wonder if this is the case with the Dampit as posted by a few builders. They always say something like "I had a customer who...." then describe the problem caused by using Dampits. I wonder if the problem might have been caused by using Dampits and ignoring the directions.

I use distilled water and always squeeze out a bit of the water as I dry the tube very well along it's entire length. If the humidity has dropped to the low 40's, I use two Dampits. Usually by the next day one of the tubes can be removed.

My main source of humidification is a very slightly dampened sponge in a baggie with paper punch holes in it as described by Bryan Kimsey. It works great and is easy to use.

The best thing is it can be made to size---there isn't an abundance of room in a mandolin case.

I find the Dampits to be a great aid when the humidity starts to swing out of range. They are effective and very easy to use (even if you follow the directions).

Submit "Dampit or Damnit?" to Facebook Submit "Dampit or Damnit?" to Yahoo Submit "Dampit or Damnit?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I simply keep the dampit in the case, I don't put them inside the mandolin. They work fine.